SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Nav & Radio replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 04:34 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SC430 Nav & Radio replacement

Hi everyone. New SC430 owner, picked up a 2006 mode with 73k miles on it. Overal car is in great condition mechanically but one of the owners did not do a nice job of taking care of the interior.

My goal is to have the car's interior looking brand new while still maintaining a factory look (or as close to).

I have a couple of wish list items

- Head unit is too dim (can't see well in sun) and navigation is dated
-radio face looks worn and has some darker stains, looks like some of the letters rubbed out slightly (like wet ink on a paper) - want a new radio face or a new radio unit. Maybe put a 2010 SC430 radio in there as it looks more modern - is this possible
-similar issues with climate control unit, the plastic looks worn. Do I need to replace the whole unit or can I buy a face plate?

I have been brainstorming on some potential solutions to the items above and have spoke / visited with a few electronics shops. Would really value everyone's opinion as to what option sounds like a good idea and if there is anything to avoid entirely based on your collective experiences

- Option 1 - keep factory LCD and install navtool with backup camera. Solves the dated navigation problem and let's me use my Waze app. Navtool is currently on sale $300 + an extra 150 or so for backup camera and wireless iPhone mirroring option. Downside here is screen will still be hard to see with top down.
-Option 2 - install new lcd screen to replace oem screen but it will not support existing navigation due to wiring. Retract / open close / tilt functionality will be retained. I can mirror my iPhone to this screen and use my navigation apps and have backup camera interface. Downside is loss of factory Nav and not being able to use existing touch screen controls. Not sure what happens with Bluetooth. I guess I can take calls but can't use on screen controls and can't add new phones to car. Cost is approximately 1-1.5k.
- Radio options - try to find cheap used radio and electronic shop can remove its faceplate and replace my unit. Cost is $100 labor plus priced of new unit. Other option is to either try to buy 2010 sc430 radio and install it (I like the look better but not sure of cost and compatibility l). Other options include giving my radio to Lexus in exchange for a refurbished unit cost is about 750 or finding used radio on eBay and installing it (rather than faceplate).
The following 2 users liked this post by nprest2:
Mdy49 (07-10-23), oldbluetoo (12-02-17)
Old 06-28-17, 10:53 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Do like many members do: retain factory Nav unit. Install new Radio instead. You'll find plenty of talk in this subject.
Old 06-29-17, 04:09 AM
nprest2
Rookie

The only issue is I'm not a big fan of having two screens in the car and like to maintain the factory look
Old 06-29-17, 10:19 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have a 2006 LS430 then everything you want to do here can be accomplished thru Vline. But with SC430 I have not heard anyone successfully integrating Waze into Nav screen with touch capability. I am not sure switching to 2010 radio is going to solve your problem because 2006 Nav may not be equipped to talk to 2010 radio. When a call comes in the nav needs to dispay the number and cut off the radio.
Old 06-29-17, 10:27 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by nprest2
The only issue is I'm not a big fan of having two screens in the car and like to maintain the factory look
just keep one of the screen doors closed!
lets face it, the factory NAV is just for looks and compared to new phone NAV programs like WAZE, there is no comparison. Try and tell your factory NAV system to find the nearest Lowes...it cannot!
will your factory NAV system divert you around a five mile backup on the interstate? Nope, but modern NAV programs like Waze usually will...

my factory nav upper screen is good for watching movies and I never do that...I would like to be able to display Waze on the upper screen but I currently can only display it on the lower Pioneer radio screen, along with the backup camera.

please be sure to let us know what you decide and take pictures of your modernization of the audio system.

Last edited by Bgw70; 12-02-17 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oldbluetoo (12-02-17)
Old 06-29-17, 11:08 AM
nprest2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bgw70
just keep one of the screen doors closed!
lets face it, the factory NAV is just for looks and compared to new phone NAV programs like WAZE, there is no comparison. Try and tell your factory NAV system to find the nearest Lowes...it cannot!
will your factory NAV system divert you around a five mile backup on the interstate? Nope, but modern NAV programs like Waze usually will...

my factory nav upper screen is good for good for watching movies and I never do that...I would like to be able to display Waze on the upper screen but I currently can only display it on the lower Pioneer radio screen, along with the backup camera.

please be sure to let us know what you decide and take pictures of your modernization of the audio system.
thanks for the advice, perhaps I can keep the radio screen closed (just not the biggest fan of how two screen in this car looks, makes it look less elegant). If I do change out the radio for a bottom screen my electric guy can actually change the top screen and connect it to the bottom to create a mirror image. Changing out the top screen is not the hard part but rather being able to have the new screen retain any functionality afterwards.

Honestly the the lowest cost options is to buy Navtool and keep the existing radio - Nav tool will send Waze and all my other apps to the top screen and keep all OEM functionality + add a backup camera. Total cost will be around $600-700 including labor ($475 parts) The only issue is I'll be left with the top screen which is hard to see on a sunny day with the top down.
Old 06-29-17, 11:35 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Actually, if you just want to add Navtool and keep the radio then you need to figure out how to add voice from your phone to the radio. I don't suppose you are going to keep the phone in your pocket while just mirroring the screen muted. But if you mount your phone on the dashboard then you will find you might as well look at the phone screen not using the mirroring. So if you decide to keep the factory radio then IMO you only need to do two things--adding backup cam to the nav and media bluetooth to the radio.
The following users liked this post:
oldbluetoo (12-02-17)
Old 07-02-17, 10:24 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

So, I just finished some work on my car. My goal was to keep the OEM look of the interior (sans the modification of my Anthracite Carbon Fiber Wrap). I wanted to keep the OEM metallic faced A/C unit and radio. I just replaced the VaisTech SL3U which was giving me a dedicated AUX input to the radio. The SL3U was the "brain" of my entire media integration build. Off this unit, I have piggybacked an Asus Media Player, Boss Audio Screen Mirror, Ipod remote control unit, and a Bluetooth Remote Control with Handsfree Phone. I just replace the entire VaisTech unit with the GROM Audio and I am so happy! The GROM audio unit allows Bluetooth Handsfree, Bluetooth Music with track changes from radio face and steering wheel, Ipod play/charge with track changes from the radio face and steering wheel, and even allowed me an Aux input that let me piggyback all my previous electronics. I highly recommend this unit for those that want more functionality than just Aux input that the VaisTech SL3U offers. ONE CAVEAT- I have a 2002 but I purchased a used radio from a 2007. Thus the grom unit only works with the 2006+ radio models. Upgrading to a 2007 radio had no problems. Easy plug and play function.The GROM unit does take a little getting used to. I had to read the directions to learn the "seqeunce" for changing between "USB/iPod" to AUX mode. But once I figured it out, works splendid. Unfortunately, no track name/title on the radio head unit. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

By the way, the GROM Audio unit DOES NOT allow video. The only video interface is either NAVIKS (which I used), or NavTool (previously NAVRGB). This unit is connected in the trunk and this is what allows me to play video to the OEM screen from Boss Audio screen mirroring, Asus Media Player, or the rearview camera. Long and short, NAVIKS handles all things video related, and GROM now handles all things audio/bluetooth related.

PS. I will update relevant threads with my GROM Upgrade soon. Next on my 4th of July project list, will be the DVD Gen4 Upgrade and put the rear seats back in to close up my quarter window mod.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-02-17 at 10:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ShawnOk:
HardTimes (10-14-17), Jabberwock (10-27-17)
Old 07-02-17, 10:46 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Good to know Shawn. I'm looking forward to reading more about what all and how you made your latest audio modifications.
Old 10-26-17, 02:54 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 07 Levinson stereo into 02

Shawn: No mods to work the 07 model into your 02? That's great! Do you know what the differences are in the stereo that would make the Grom work? Is there an AUX input?

Thanks. Chris
Old 12-02-17, 08:26 AM
oldbluetoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phone Nav Apps Always Superior to Factory

To date smartphone nav apps have always been superior to automobile factory-installed (FI) systems (except perhaps Tesla). Phone app software and map content are regularly kept updated. FI are not. Most mobile device operating systems (ie. Apple, Android, etc) are updated regularly. FI OS is updated usually only when you buy a new car. (except Tesla). Most people upgrade their mobile device more frequently than their auto. I use Waze on my iPhone 6+ on a magnetic (one-handed phone attach/detach) vent mount in my 2005 SC430. When renting a car outside the US (and mobile cellular data) I use HereWeGo offline (no cell data required) with pre-downloaded offline maps of the driving area, ie. France, etc. I use the same compact, easily-detachable magnetic vent mount. HereWeGo (offline) also comes in handy in the US when cell coverage gaps occur.

Last edited by oldbluetoo; 12-02-17 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 12-02-17, 08:56 AM
oldbluetoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other benefits of using a mobile phone nav app:<br />1. With a magnetic vent mount I can position my iPhone 6+ screen so that the phone does not block my windshield view and gives me as close to a heads-up display as possible.<br />2. The screen size of my iPhone 6+ is almost as big as the factory nav screen and the resolution is far superior and therefore easier to read. I prefer a vertical/portrait screen.<br />3. The phone nav app touchscreen interface is much easier and safer to use while driving than the factory controls. Waze is now introducing voice control.<br />4. There are many phone nav apps for sale. However, Waze and HereWeGo are no cost. I have no affiliation with either company. Just a satisfied user.
Old 08-31-18, 03:05 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone identify the many different numbers of model for a 2002 cdt/tape/radio? My parts dept wants 2K for a 'new' one, and 1.3.K if they install a reman. I got burnt twice on a 'repaired' raido with bluetooth/aux, and baited by another ebayer with 'oh we can't fix it you have to buy one of our remanufactured ones". Before I go buy another OEM ($450 rebuilt on ebay, but I'm starting to think they're all a racket)...can anyone give info on which models work with 02? My tape door says something like P813 (that's prob. wrong,,photo is fuzzy!), and the sticker ontop has 86120-24390, which there is another variant (my Lex parts says there's one for RHD cars!), and my s/n is af008015. There's also FXMG8217 fx. Sorry to carry on at length here, but if anyone has chewed through all the radio variants, is there a way you can make a list to simplify? ALso, anyone you think is reputuable for buying a 'reman' unit? I don't want to buy a beat sonic harnes and aftermarket, as that's about 2K!!! Thanks
Old 09-01-18, 08:24 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Buggeroff6
Can anyone identify the many different numbers of model for a 2002 cdt/tape/radio? My parts dept wants 2K for a 'new' one, and 1.3.K if they install a reman. I got burnt twice on a 'repaired' raido with bluetooth/aux, and baited by another ebayer with 'oh we can't fix it you have to buy one of our remanufactured ones". Before I go buy another OEM ($450 rebuilt on ebay, but I'm starting to think they're all a racket)...can anyone give info on which models work with 02? My tape door says something like P813 (that's prob. wrong,,photo is fuzzy!), and the sticker ontop has 86120-24390, which there is another variant (my Lex parts says there's one for RHD cars!), and my s/n is af008015. There's also FXMG8217 fx. Sorry to carry on at length here, but if anyone has chewed through all the radio variants, is there a way you can make a list to simplify? ALso, anyone you think is reputuable for buying a 'reman' unit? I don't want to buy a beat sonic harnes and aftermarket, as that's about 2K!!! Thanks
i have 2002 and 2007 radio units and I Know they are interchangeable. The connectors are all the same.
also, your 2002 radio was a one year only and is discontinued part.
As a matter of fact, ShawnOK has a 2007 radio in his 2002 and it works great!
go read the other recent radio thread...

if it were me, I would pick one up on eBay.
i think the 2002 was unique because of the gen2/3 NAV unit.

here are some pics of my 2007 radio

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-01-18 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-01-18, 08:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Quick Reply: SC430 Nav & Radio replacement