SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What is a good sell price for my SC430

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 09:55 AM
gentouru
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good sell price for my SC430

I am thinking of selling my 2009 Pebble Beach SC430. It has about 34k miles. It is in very good condition with regular maintenance with Lexus and and is still under warranty with them. It has never been into an accident other than a minor bumper damaged but replaced completely with new OEM part. There are couple of scratches on body and wheels but everything else is in excellent condition. I still have the original mats and they are in pristine condition. So, how much can I sell it for?
Old 05-08-17, 06:36 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autotrader, Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds etc is a good place to start...take an average ..it may be that in your area prices could be higher than say in a large city...Example: I live 100 miles from Dallas where cars (new or used) generally sell for $1000 less than the town I live in...recently someone on the forum mentioned used car prices are tanking... new car sales are also shrinking... I found that listing as : 'Or Best Offer' is a waste of time; or 'As Is' to be a further waste of time... list on the forum may be an option... what part of Texas are you from? Good luck.
Old 05-08-17, 07:35 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

A lot depends on where you live. SC430s where I am are going for $1-2k over book value (I'm in NC). When I bought mine a few weeks ago, there weren't many good examples available. So I purchased the car from a Toyota dealer in Florida and had it shipped to me.
Old 05-10-17, 07:34 AM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in the same boat. I'm contemplating selling my car right now. I bought it for about 22K (a 2005 that has 72,300 miles on it) but values have really tanked lately. I have an appointment tomorrow to take it to CarMax and get a quote from them, but I know it won't be for much. It did get a bumper fixed after a guy rear ended me, but I also threw a ton of money into it on stuff that won't be given any credit at a dealership or CarMax (new wheels, added stereo with Sirius and Apple CarPlay, added a backup camera, had the 90K timing belt service done early, swapped out tail lights for +06 ones). Do any of those addons count for anything in a private party sale? And how does one even do a private party sale when you still owe on the car? I still have about $16K on the car note. I would be thrilled to get 19K, very happy with 17K at this point.
Old 05-10-17, 07:46 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

SBlevin

sorry to hear you are selling your SC. Are you getting something else
? I know you did a lot of work from your past post on your SC

As for selling the car, put it on Craiglist and if you are patient
and the Car is still clean, you can probably get $3,000 more
Than Carmax

get the car detail before selling .
Old 05-10-17, 08:45 AM
sblevins
Driver

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
SBlevin

sorry to hear you are selling your SC. Are you getting something else
? I know you did a lot of work from your past post on your SC

As for selling the car, put it on Craiglist and if you are patient
and the Car is still clean, you can probably get $3,000 more
Than Carmax

get the car detail before selling .
Hi there, I know, I did put a ton into it. But right now I have a chance to get a BMW 4 series convertible either now or three years from now. If I get it now, my spouse will make half the car payments (basically what is going to the Lexus) and if I wait the three years, I will have the Lexus paid off and can use that towards the BMW but will have to make the remainder of the payments/price on my own. I like the Lexus but miss having a little more backseat, modern amenities like keyless go, etc. And I'm concerned that in three years it will have close to 100K miles on it at that point. I know a lot of these are still going strong, but I'm not sure I want a car with that much mileage. The SC is a terrific car, and in an ideal world, I would have both cars, but since I can't, if I can use those payments towards a more long term car, I'm tempted. I'm still not sold either way but more like 50/50. Thanks for the advice on Craigslist.
The following users liked this post:
Jpg916 (06-03-17)
Old 05-10-17, 09:19 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Lots of different opinions on values of these it seems.

based in the possible miles these are known to go the cars are worth top dollar imo.

but I am a long term use guy. We still have our purchased new 98 accord with 200k on it.

and a 07 Solara convertible with 150k miles. And a 00 Ford superduty truck with 130k miles

so the value to me is much higher as our 08 PB had 18k miles on it when purchased.

Happy to pay the $30k for 300k miles minimum worth of very enjoyable use. Ten cents a mile base cost for a luxury convertible seems cheap to me?

a lot of posts here from former German car owners all noting the much lower running costs for the Lexus.

I would not sell it after the upgrades if it were for sale for less than $35k based on the "good" that's still in it.

my two cents.

we will probably put more than 15k miles per year. 20 years use seems easy on these.

different way to sell these is to mention the known reliability and low operating costs that are easily verifiable on the web and here.

then it's worth more to an now educated buyer IMO.
Old 05-10-17, 01:22 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

I can't really speak for other SC owners experience but
In CA , a " clean SC " actually hold its value pretty well

I previously owned 3 SC ( again they were all very clean
with mileage from 30K to 75K) and each time When I
sold, I don't think I sold for much less than
what I paid after 1 year.

On the other hand, if the car was not well taken care of,
then I think that is when the car takes a heavy depreciation.

The only Reason why I sold my SC in the past was because
I upgraded over the years
Old 05-10-17, 07:31 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

SBlevin,

Oh no, you're selling the SC? Hope you'll get the good price for her. I think you will, especially with the add-ons.
I'm glad that I am able to keep this car for life and pass on. My grand daughter will love it in 18 years.
Old 05-10-17, 07:49 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Assuming they are well care for with no defects these cars will sell at a premium but only if you have the patience to wait for the right buyer who understands the car, knows what they are buying, and wants an excellent well maintained example of an SC430. I paid premium money for mine and would do so again - a 2004 with a pristine like new saddle interior and 27k miles on it. If a seller is in a hurry to sell the car or if the car is beat up or has super high miles then they typically will have to accept average market or wholesale value for it.
Old 05-10-17, 11:29 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

The SC that have been taken care of will not
lose much in value. From experience , I think mileage
plays a role but not much as long as the car is under 100K
The first SC I sold for only a bit less than what I paid (75K) and the
second one I sold for what I paid (53K) and the last SC
(30K) I actually sold it for more than what I paid .

I did pay high Dealer retail price on all three but again
they were " extremely clean "with clean carfax and o body
work .

I think the clean SC will continue to hold their value very
well in the coming years .
Old 05-11-17, 04:13 AM
sblevins
Driver

Well, I hope you guys are right, I have had the car for 11 months and babied it. I can't help that an idiot rear-ended me, but that has been repaired. Bluebook on the car was only 15k on a private party sale and dealer purchase was about 12.5 or 13k. I have a Carmax appointment today to get an estimate. I have added a lot of features but neither Carmax nor a dealer will give me credit for those - backup camera, stereo, wheels, new taillights, new timing belt, etc.

I don't think I can do a private sale as I don't have a pink slip yet as there is a loan on the car. I could give someone physical possession but until I pay off the loan, I don't have a pink slip, just a bill of sale. Some buyers might be willing to wait for it, or go with me to my bank for a payoff, but many would not. But unless I find one that is, I am stuck having to go through a dealer or Carmax, and no matter how well taken care of my car is, all they will do is undercut the KBB number even further. Hence, a major loss in value. So while the general rules you guys state apply generally, in my particular situation, barring a very understanding buyer, my car is in for a major "depreciation" (even if only on paper due to my buyer source), despite being well taken care of.
Old 05-11-17, 08:08 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Sblevin

The way to sell is to be " patient "
Every buyer who purchased my car paid
cash and I had a loan the new buyer paid
For me .

give me a pm if you need help

whatever you do try not to give it away to the dealer
Old 05-11-17, 08:46 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am told, these cars now go for higher at the dealer auction because dealers in some remote areas bid for their clients, In So Cal about 25+ listings on Craigslist but none in some areas of US. I have a 15 year itch, mornings I think of selling mine (62k miles) but by evening decide to keep....(I wonder of a replacement for $15K?)
Old 05-11-17, 10:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by gentouru
I am thinking of selling my 2009 Pebble Beach SC430. It has about 34k miles. It is in very good condition with regular maintenance with Lexus and and is still under warranty with them. It has never been into an accident other than a minor bumper damaged but replaced completely with new OEM part. There are couple of scratches on body and wheels but everything else is in excellent condition. I still have the original mats and they are in pristine condition. So, how much can I sell it for?
you should set your price at $42,000

Quick Reply: What is a good sell price for my SC430