SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 shopping, top inop

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 06:30 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

A used car dealer that is going to lose $5-7k pure profit on a sale because they can't replace a fuse or hit the valet switch? Maybe but I highly doubt it. Absolutely no way I would buy an SC430 no matter how nice it looked with an inoperable top without taking it to Lexus for a formal inspection.
Old 05-04-17, 04:40 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
A used car dealer that is going to lose $5-7k pure profit on a sale because they can't replace a fuse or hit the valet switch? Maybe but I highly doubt it. Absolutely no way I would buy an SC430 no matter how nice it looked with an inoperable top without taking it to Lexus for a formal inspection.
Agree a dealer will not discount 5/7k , A private seller may, a distress sale or is rich and wants to move on with life...

just curious, how much could it cost to fix, max? more than 5k?

can the top be turned manual up/down with some ease/low cost. (pull/push/jack up)
Old 05-04-17, 07:23 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

It is possible. If said dealer (which isn't a Lexus dealer) only gave the customer that traded it in $6700 or so, which is possible because of the top, and sold them a different brand of high end luxury car (which is what this dealer is) and made $5+ k on it, and screwed the customer by giving them a higher than deserved interest rate, sold them GAP insurance and an extended warranty? Why not make $3k on a used vehicle as is, instead of sending it to a Lexus dealer and gambling on a possible 5K repair, and selling it for $14500 and making the same amount of money? Car dealerships ALWAYS make money. I sold cars for a year, and was a Service Manager for many more than that, and somewhere in there I was a warranty administrator as well. I'd gather is this was a Lexus dealer they'd have fixed it at cost and sold it.
Old 05-05-17, 05:23 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I have a solution for all parties: tell him you want to buy the car contingent on the inspection of the top by the dealer (or other Lexus shop). That is what I did. We had plans to drop the car off at my Indy on Friday, but he ended up selling the car to someone else on Wednesday. I was willing to pay the $120 or so for the inspection. If he is ok with that, and you find it's a simple fix, you can purchase the car on the spot. If it's an expensive fix, but you still like the car, you can get it fixed at your leisure. Or, you can pass altogether and he can simply take the car back. But, at least everyone knows what is involved and it's a win/win for everyone!
Old 05-05-17, 05:27 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Chaditotx
It is possible. If said dealer (which isn't a Lexus dealer) only gave the customer that traded it in $6700 or so, which is possible because of the top, and sold them a different brand of high end luxury car (which is what this dealer is) and made $5+ k on it, and screwed the customer by giving them a higher than deserved interest rate, sold them GAP insurance and an extended warranty? Why not make $3k on a used vehicle as is, instead of sending it to a Lexus dealer and gambling on a possible 5K repair, and selling it for $14500 and making the same amount of money? Car dealerships ALWAYS make money. I sold cars for a year, and was a Service Manager for many more than that, and somewhere in there I was a warranty administrator as well. I'd gather is this was a Lexus dealer they'd have fixed it at cost and sold it.
I agree, anything is possible. Buying a SC430 at a used car dealer for $5-7k under market that only needs the valet button pushed or a 2 dollar fuse replaced to "repair" the inoperable top is certainly possible however very unlikely. Buying a car with a potentially very expensive issue like an inoperable top on an SC430 and hoping it will be cheap and easy to repair is a bad plan. Get the car inspected by Lexus before purchase or avoid the deal altogether. Once the car is inspected and the buyer has a solid idea what repair might be required then and only then make a reasonable offer for the car.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 05-05-17 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-05-17, 06:10 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree, anything is possible. Buying a SC430 at a used car dealer for $5-7k under market that only needs the valet button pushed or a 2 dollar fuse replaced to "repair" the inoperable top is certainly possible however very unlikely. Buying a car with a potentially very expensive issue like an inoperable top on an SC430 and hoping it will be cheap and easy to repair is a bad plan. Get the car inspected by Lexus before purchase or avoid the deal altogether. Once the car is inspected and the buyer has a solid idea what repair might be required then and only then make a reasonable offer for the car.
Yes, anything is possible....very unlikely, something is missing in the story.
Old 05-06-17, 07:17 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Default Bought it! ;)

After looking at it today i decided to pull the trigger. It seems the valet switch was activated. 85k miles, no accidents. 1k woth of new continentals with certs from discount tire and a new battery. $10k. Top is quiet and smooth as silk. I love it!
Old 05-06-17, 07:34 PM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Chaditotx
After looking at it today i decided to pull the trigger. It seems the valet switch was activated. 85k miles, no accidents. 1k woth of new continentals with certs from discount tire and a new battery. $10k. Top is quiet and smooth as silk. I love it!
Congrats on the new car! Sounds like you got an amazing deal from a very foolish used car dealer.
Old 05-06-17, 07:39 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Congrats on the new car! Sounds like you got an amazing deal from a very foolish used car dealer.
Thank you! If i ever trade it in, I'll make sure to hit the valet switch when i am getting my personals from the car. I like to pay it forward sometimes
Old 05-06-17, 09:08 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Dawn! You got the gold. Enjoy!
(You're lucky, none of the sale men is from this club.)

Last edited by GmanSC; 05-06-17 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-07-17, 06:03 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Congrats! I've got 3 month old Continentals on mine as well, love 'em. Being a weekend driver I won't have to worry about tires for a while!