SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ready to finally trade her in, but now my CEL is on

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 05:15 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ready to finally trade her in, but now my CEL is on

Long story short, I've been debating trading in my 2002 SC430 for a long while now, but I think I'm *finally* ready to do it this year (and hopefully soon). But now my check engine light is on. I have a code reader and here's what I'm seeing:

- P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
- P0440 - Evaporative Emission System
- P0441 - Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow
- P0446 - Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit

For the evap codes, one possibility I know is the gas cap being loose. FWIW, I actually had my gas cap replaced (with a non-Lexus cap) quite a while back and I don't have a recollection of why. In any case, I'm always conscious of making sure it clicks (usually multiple times). Before I got my code reader (just arrived yesterday - it's a Bluetooth model that I can use with an iPhone app) I brought the car to a local shop and he pulled the codes. At the time, I'm guessing the P0135 O2 sensor code wasn't showing, because he just mentioned it having an evap code, checked the gas cap, cleared the code, and told me to wait to see if it came back on again.

So my big question is this: Since I just want to trade this thing in, I would rather not put another dime into it. If I brought this car to CarMax they are likely going to check the codes. Even if I clear the codes right before I bring it in, I would expect that they'd be smart enough to plug in a code reader and see that it's showing as not being ready for emissions (I've read that when you clear the codes you have to drive it at least 50+ miles or whatever to get the "ready for emissions" code/flag to get set, and in that time it's likely that the O2 code would come back on again).

My car is a 2002 with about 135K miles, and my understanding from Googling is that for old and/or high-mileage cars, CarMax just sells them at auction. So if I brought it into CarMax as it stands with codes displaying all of the details, how much is it likely to impact their trade-in offer.

Or should I get this issue fixed before trying to trade it in? The last time I had an O2 sensor replaced, the final bill was about $270. But I don't know if there might be some other issues going on as well.
Old 04-30-17, 07:32 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

You can trade it in as-is if you like. My gf traded in her 2013 Range Rover Evoque with the check engine light on at the Lexus dealer, they didn't even care. Not sure if they discounted the trade in value but she was happy with the end result. I do know when I got the P0440, P0446 code a while back it was a loose vacuum hose, you can look around the engine cover and see. It's a simple fix.
Old 04-30-17, 03:10 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Thanks for the reply, Kevin. I did think of another idea today...I was thinking I could call a CarMax (maybe not my local one) and try to remain anonymous and talk to someone who works in the area that assesses car values. Then I would give them all of the details over the phone about the CEL and codes I'm seeing and ask them how much of a difference it's likely to make in their offer, given the age and high-mileage of the car.

So another question...I'm thinking about switching to a used BMW Z4 (current-gen with the retractable hardtop) and my options on CarGurus and CarMax are limited, but I can wait. My question is this: how long can my SC430 wait before I deal with its issues? Specifically, are the O2 sensor codes and evap codes something I should be urgently fixing (or avoid driving my car) or are they things that I can keep driving with for the next month while I wait for my ideal next-car to become available?
Old 04-30-17, 03:47 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott R
Thanks for the reply, Kevin. I did think of another idea today...I was thinking I could call a CarMax (maybe not my local one) and try to remain anonymous and talk to someone who works in the area that assesses car values. Then I would give them all of the details over the phone about the CEL and codes I'm seeing and ask them how much of a difference it's likely to make in their offer, given the age and high-mileage of the car.

So another question...I'm thinking about switching to a used BMW Z4 (current-gen with the retractable hardtop) and my options on CarGurus and CarMax are limited, but I can wait. My question is this: how long can my SC430 wait before I deal with its issues? Specifically, are the O2 sensor codes and evap codes something I should be urgently fixing (or avoid driving my car) or are they things that I can keep driving with for the next month while I wait for my ideal next-car to become available?
is the CEL on? its weird it comes up for nothing and goes away sometimes. Talk to local shops and also the Toyota dealership for their opinion, you'll be surprised how different their opinions are. If you go to Carmax for trade and they find out, tell them you will fix it and come back for a better offer....if you not fix it Carmax will knock off the Max $s for your quote, you may be better off selling it to private buyer 'as is'
Old 04-30-17, 05:12 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

No, the CEL is on. It's not inconsistenly on/off. The only time it has been off (for a short while) is when I've cleared the code with my OB2 code reader.
Old 04-30-17, 05:16 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

By the pound a 15 year old expensive part car with lots of miles and the cel light on is not terribly valuable.

was a car guy long ago. $1500 piece probably in the biz
Old 04-30-17, 07:06 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

I think you'll get more for your trade if you get the O2 sensor fixed. Maybe a few hundred $$$? That's what I would do. That way, you're not in any rush to trade it in.
Old 04-30-17, 07:12 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, the CEL is on. It's not inconsistenly on/off. The only time it has been off (for a short while) is when I've cleared the code with my OB2 code reader.
I had CEL last year not sure how it is gone, kept asking around and all tried, some one said disconnect the battery and was gone....

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
By the pound a 15 year old expensive part car with lots of miles and the cel light on is not terribly valuable.

was a car guy long ago. $1500 piece probably in the biz
some cars are worth more these days for parting than driving?
Old 04-30-17, 07:37 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

KBB says trade in value is $6,460. I'll give you at least $6k if you're willing to ship it to Raleigh, NC! Haha. But seriously, you can do pretty well for an SC430 in good condition. I know, I passed on one with a little over 200k on the odometer and the guy wanted $5,800 for it. He didn't have a master key, nav disk and as far as I know had never had the timing belt / water pump changed. Yet the car still ran pretty well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-purchase.html

Of course, I'm glad I waited on the SC430 I eventually purchased it's in much better condition.
Old 04-30-17, 08:22 PM
1OldDog
Driver School Candidate

A few years ago I tried to sell/trade-in my 2000 Corvette Convertible to Car Max. They told me that they don't make offers on cars greater than 10 years old. That policy may have changed in the meantime.
Old 04-30-17, 09:34 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....depending on your OB2 reader, it could possibly be the reason that you're getting the CEL. I know the reader that my mechanic uses will throw the light on my Sc, then I use the paper clip method to clear it
Old 05-01-17, 06:14 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
I think you'll get more for your trade if you get the O2 sensor fixed. Maybe a few hundred $$$? That's what I would do. That way, you're not in any rush to trade it in.
as said before, look for the broken/disconnected vacuum lines on the drivers life of the engine. Mine was broken and it threw codes almost immediately after I performed the erase/reset codes.

as for the O2 sensor. Erase it then drive the car to carmax and let them buy it or put it on Craigslist...don't spend the money because they won't give you what you paid to have it fixed unless you do the work yourself.

i believe the O2 sensor is about $70 on Rockauto.com
denso brand. OEM
Old 05-01-17, 06:14 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 1OldDog
A few years ago I tried to sell/trade-in my 2000 Corvette Convertible to Car Max. They told me that they don't make offers on cars greater than 10 years old. That policy may have changed in the meantime.
they will give an offer on a over ten year old. They won't sell one on their lot that's over ten years old. They buy them cheap enough that they can still make money on it at auction.
Old 05-01-17, 08:13 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bgw70, do you have any pics of those hoses to check for cracks or if they are disconnected? I keep getting my check engine light on, and replaced gas cap and they all went out after about 200 miles of driving, but came back on a few days ago after a fill up. Runs fine, but want to check those hoses but not sure which ones? I also think its weird after fill up, same issue. I see where some guys says gas cap only click once, and others say click more than 3 times, not sure if that matters.
Old 05-01-17, 08:19 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Theses are the hoses bgw is talking about. The ones by the green tag.

Quick Reply: Ready to finally trade her in, but now my CEL is on