SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Negotiating

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 02:37 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Yes sir!!! Those 430 engines are really great!!! They're the same mostly on all GS SC and LS models. So the main problem issues are all common. They can all be found here on CL. After 5 years and 50k miles later daily driven I'm convinced! Only thing I'd say it's the main thing in maintenance for these engines despite oil and filter is find a good mechanic that genuinely cares for you and have them check the gaskets before and after your catalytic converters every 6 months! These engines tend to have exhaust leaks and they tend to turn on the check engine light and make a loud noise after a while (when you've let it get really bad the exhaust sounds horrible)... But the gaskets are less then $20 and to replace them should be less then $120. If you stay on top of that you should be good year round. Oil and filter, exhaust inspection for deteriorated gaskets every 6 months, brakes and you ready to go!
I would suspect that if you're tearing up gaskets, it's from excessive engine movement. I would check those motor mounts . Those gaskets should last the life of the exhaust system. The motor mounts aren't that durable.
Old 04-25-17, 03:10 PM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

He's probably pretty close on price...I looked at what they are pulling at auction site a lot of dealers use and it puts wholesale at 13,700 for a silver sc in the southeast region. 15,000 would be a good offer. It probably hasn't had timing belt done...and it's due after 10 years...so you may need to throw that in to the mix...if he won't move...maybe he will do the maint...and that would save you $700 ish down the road. Be prepared to be told these are rare with that kind of mileage...so have a comeback...maybe it's not your first choice of cars... wrong color....etc...but for the right price you can be swayed.
Old 04-25-17, 03:27 PM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I definitely thought about timing belt. I've been researching and looking for a bit. I'm in Nashville so I even extended my search to 200miles and have been on CarGurus Carfax Edmunds cars.com and kbb so I've seen quite a few. I narrowed it to 3 decided on this one so after talking with everyone here i think I feel pretty comfortable saying it's not only one I've looked at. But again all the info I've gotten from everyone today here is making me feel pretty confident about it. Which is another reason I want to have Lexus dealer check it out. I'm feeling the sc430 vibe
Old 04-25-17, 07:23 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Gang

Just from experience in buying used cars. If you see something
you like and " on paper " everything checks out ( I.E. Car fax , Inspection report)
you have to make a decision ASAP. Don't wait or you eill
lose the Car.

I have owned 4 SC and all of them were prestine in condition itiin
I probably paid a bit above retail but they were all original
paint, No accidents very clean SC's. But Everyone I sold for a variety
of reasons , I have never lost any money other than maybe tax and license fees
I only sold 2 of them because I wanted a lower mileage SC.

I personally rather buy a " Clean SC" than a compromised SC

good luck PJOY

my .02
Old 04-25-17, 07:23 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Gang

you like and " on paper " everything checks out ( I.E. Car fax , Inspection report)
lose the Car. the SC is now price well and most car fans will buy the clean SC within hours when it hits the lot !

I have owned 4 SC and all of them were prestine in condition i

good luck PJOY

my .02
Old 04-25-17, 07:30 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Is it me or is there a new tide of SC loving generation? It was so quiet for a while (many years) and then BAM!, Everybody wants an SC! That's OK, nothing wrong with it. It is driving the retail price of SC's, too bad I was looking forward to getting my 2nd SC...lower mileage 06 to 10 lineage.

Just went with the wifey for errands and nice cool weather...I see heads a-turning...lol!
Old 04-25-17, 08:22 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Gang

lose the Car. the SC is now price well and most car fans will buy the clean SC within hours when it hits the lot !

I have owned 4 SC and all of them were prestine in condition i

good luck PJOY

my .02
Seems to me these days a good Sc430 with low miles are in demand, not difficult to sell for dealers...I understand these go for 15k-17k recently at the dealers auction, they are listed under a special/different category. Anyone here has connection with independent dealer to verify the auction bids?