SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 11:23 AM
claureys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

First of all I am totally naive as an SC owner and I feel at a loss each time something happens but I need my car so I let the dealer fix it at mega cost.

Parked no noises no warning lights went to start next day and it started but made loud noises and vibrations in muffler system thought it just hadnt caught when starting so I turned it off waited and turned back on...same noise and a burning smell no engine lights or warnings.

Dealer said without warning lights computer won't record problem and therefore cant diagnose. He thinks it maybe the one of the valve lifters or some other lifter and would have to take part of engine apart caching caching. He just called when starting engine 1st time got noise and second start noise has stopped.

We are a Lexus family getting many many uninconvenienced driving miles far into 300,000 km. This is a 2005 American car with 72,000 miles and not the first major problem.

Any suggestions or similar trouble I would really appreciate some advice.

Carol
Old 04-20-17, 06:19 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

What kind of noises and what kind of smell?
Old 04-21-17, 03:03 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by claureys
First of all I am totally naive as an SC owner and I feel at a loss each time something happens but I need my car so I let the dealer fix it at mega cost.

Parked no noises no warning lights went to start next day and it started but made loud noises and vibrations in muffler system thought it just hadnt caught when starting so I turned it off waited and turned back on...same noise and a burning smell no engine lights or warnings.

Dealer said without warning lights computer won't record problem and therefore cant diagnose. He thinks it maybe the one of the valve lifters or some other lifter and would have to take part of engine apart caching caching. He just called when starting engine 1st time got noise and second start noise has stopped.

We are a Lexus family getting many many uninconvenienced driving miles far into 300,000 km. This is a 2005 American car with 72,000 miles and not the first major problem.

Any suggestions or similar trouble I would really appreciate some advice.

Carol
make a video with your smart phone then create a YouTube account and post the video, copy and past the YouTube link here and we will attempt to answer your questions.
it won't cost you any money...like a dealer! ;-)

no one is answerng you because we have no idea what noise you a referring too...

also, I am pretty sure your SC430 was built in Japan, not the US.
Old 04-21-17, 04:02 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

When you say Dealer, is that a Lexus Dealer?
Old 04-25-17, 12:21 PM
claureys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Help

thanks everyone for trying to help...I had to have my car towed. BGw70 - It was a very loud banging noise with a burning smell not sure what it smelled like Harold 57. Husband thought it might be low oil but discounted it when tested. No warning lights on indicating any problem. Dealer thought it was an low oil problem but never hear the banging noise nor the smell after being on the lot for 4 days. They changed the oil. Took value covers off and found some carbon but Husband says that's normal. Sounds had disappeared, car started properly and no noise no smell. Seems I may have paid $748 to have the oil changed $129 per hour x 4 diagnostics. The Manager at Tony Graham Lexus Service said the car is usually great and free of engine trouble especially at 72,000 miles. (Mandyfig - yes it was made in Japan but an American car...I am Canadian).

So unless anyone has any info to share, my problem has gone away albeit maybe temporary...sorry for delay in responding I was having trouble getting site to authenticate me.