SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

CD slot cell phone holder

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 02:45 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I bought the magnetic cell phone holder on Amazon listed below that clamps to the air vent. It works very well with iphone 6 - no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I ended up ordering something very similar that is installed now (that was before GmanSC posted about the CD holder.) I think I would prefer the CD slot holder. The Samsung Galaxy S7 is a big phone and just doesn't fit well at the vents.

But, change of plans, anyway. My brother is going to drive the SC down to Florida while I take the IS. I have two cats coming with me and that was going to be a nightmare getting carriers in the rear seats of the SC. He's been itching to drive the SC anyway.
Old 03-22-17, 07:15 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 913 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
I ended up ordering something very similar that is installed now (that was before GmanSC posted about the CD holder.) I think I would prefer the CD slot holder. The Samsung Galaxy S7 is a big phone and just doesn't fit well at the vents.

But, change of plans, anyway. My brother is going to drive the SC down to Florida while I take the IS. I have two cats coming with me and that was going to be a nightmare getting carriers in the rear seats of the SC. He's been itching to drive the SC anyway.
hey Retro, when are you leaving and when do you plan to arrive in the area?
Old 03-24-17, 04:00 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have not found a good cell holder for the SC. I use the cup holder as well. I use a CD slot holder for my IS, works great, this does not fit my SC hence I can not use it.
Old 03-24-17, 11:56 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have not found a good cell holder for the SC. I use the cup holder as well. I use a CD slot holder for my IS, works great, this does not fit my SC hence I can not use it.
Why not using the Koomus? It fits in any CD slot.
Old 03-24-17, 04:17 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
Or you can go Kuda and spend $$.

nice mount, got it today. Only problem is my 08 pebble beach has the brown center stack leather not the eccru.

What is the brown color name and where can I get the mounted painted?
Old 03-24-17, 04:23 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
nice mount, got it today. Only problem is my 08 pebble beach has the brown center stack leather not the eccru.

What is the brown color name and where can I get the mounted painted?
go to a automotive paint store. Have them custom mix a paint bomb to match the leather. Get it in a one stage paint. It'll probably be 25-30 dollars.
Old 03-24-17, 05:06 PM
ShelJW
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the IPOW silicone pad... I purchased it from Amazon, ordered it last night at around 11pm, it arrived today!

It's a flat pad, with two legs which you insert into cut-outs in the pad that hold the phone upright and at a perfect angle! It even comes with two pairs of legs, one wider then the other so if your phone and case are especially wide, you can use the wide legs and your phone will fit.

What I especially like it it doesn't attach to your air vent, cd player, or use adhesives... it simply lays on your dash, and it doesn't move at all!

Over 550 customer reviews, with a rating of over 4 and a half stars on Amazon (click link above)... not too shabby!

I placed it just to the right of the instrumentation, on the dash, and it's a perfect spot to see my phone easily while not obstructing my vision at all. When I'm done, I can simply remove the phone, and the pad fits in the upper portion of the center console perfectly, all tucked away and out of sight!

Old 03-24-17, 11:24 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Overtime, it will not stay on your dash, it will slide over when you're turning. I had a similar device.
Old 03-25-17, 12:31 PM
ShelJW
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Overtime, it will not stay on your dash, it will slide over when you're turning. I had a similar device.
Could be, but there are 57 questions on this stand, many of them with multiple answers, and every person that I've read so far says that it has stayed firmly on their dash.

One person asked if it would melt in the heat, and again, everyone said they've had no experience of it melting...

It has over 500 reviews, 4.5 stars... I guess I'll see if it starts to slide over time, but if it doesn't slide now, I'm not sure why it would start to slide in a year, or two years from now. It doesn't use adhesive which can degrade...

Oh well, for $15 I'll see how well it works.
Old 03-25-17, 06:42 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I don't know if "Upgrade Second Generation Car Silicone" will be better than the past, but in my experience, the silicon rubber pad will eventually lose the ability to stick to the dash (it worked for about a year).

Good luck with the purchase, hope you will not have any problem.
Old 03-27-17, 09:14 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Why not using the Koomus? It fits in any CD slot.

Is that what you use for your SC?
Old 03-27-17, 10:46 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Is that what you use for your SC?
Yes, and love it.
Old 03-28-17, 07:26 AM
mandyfig

It is the magnetic one? $20?Koomus Black Pro CD-M Cradle-less Smartphone Magnetic CD-Slot Mount Ko-CD-M for $19.99?

Last edited by mandyfig; 03-28-17 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 11:29 AM
blkjap
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have something similar to this and over time it starts to slip, but all you have to do is clean the bottom with dishwashing soap and it works perfectly! I use this in all my cars, Great item!!!!
Old 03-28-17, 10:55 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

It is the magnetic one? $20?Koomus Black Pro CD-M Cradle-less Smartphone Magnetic CD-Slot Mount Ko-CD-M for $19.99?
Yes, but I paid only 14.99. Link in post #7.

Quick Reply: CD slot cell phone holder