SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Full set of Speakers for 2008 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16, 12:49 PM
ccurtin1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Full set of Speakers for 2008 SC430

I hadn't planned on replacing my speakers as only the top left drivers side door speaker was sounding rattly. However, someone smashing in the driver's side window and damaging the inside door panel showed on inspection that the foam was almost 100% disintegrated on all the door speakers. JM Lexus said all the others are probably that way too.

Where is the best source right now to replace every speaker?

My poor SC
ouch
Old 12-10-16, 01:01 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Search under speaker repair in this forum. That is the best way to go unless you want to spend the extra money for new.
Old 12-10-16, 01:03 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Sorry to hear some butt head broke into your car. I don't understand those kind of people.
The following users liked this post:
HerbTarlek (09-15-19)
Old 12-10-16, 03:09 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to hear about the break-in. Any chance that you still have Lexus insurance? If so, they should cover speaker replacements, at least they used to.
Old 12-10-16, 03:30 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Sorry that happened to you. Karma will eventually or has already take its toll on the lowlife dirt bag that messed with your beautiful car. If you search on speaker repair and replacement there is a table that shows the size and ohm rating of each speaker in the SC430. It is possible to repair and/or replace the surrounds on some of the speakers if you want to keep the oem speakers and keep the repairs pretty simple. When I start replacing mine, I will likely buy aftermarket since I'm not impressed by ML speakers and better replacements can be found at relatively low cost from places like ebay, Parts express, Madisound to name a few.

Repair foam -
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/toyota...n-clsk-8m.html
Old 12-10-16, 11:26 PM
ccurtin1
Driver School Candidate

Since the car gets new glass and inside driver door panel via insurance, I thought I would just buy a full set of better compatible speakers. Best choices to buy replacements for all? Thanks for the kind words.
Old 12-11-16, 09:58 AM
markfx
Driver School Candidate

Substantially upgrading the door speakers to 'audiophile' levels is pointless with the stock head unit and amplifier. I know because I did just that. There was a marginal improvement in sound, but the stock system could not drive the new speakers, and I was massively disappointed.

Probably your best bet to get better sound without spending an arm and a leg on speakers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx

FWIW I installed Hybrid Audio Technology speakers:

http://hybrid-audio.com/unity/

Then I added an Alpine head unit and Kenwood Amp...

Last edited by markfx; 12-12-16 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 02:07 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I replaced my 6x9's & 4in rears with Boston Acoustic about 7 yrs ago, everything was plug/play, no cutting, adapters,etc... I'm still using the ML head unit & amp and haven't had any issues,also I haven't had any problems with the stock system driving the new speakers. I did add more bass by running a Rockford Fosgate amp & 10in sub. If you do a search on this subject, it's been discussed for years & everyone has there own opinion as to what is or works best...lol. The speaker repair kit is definitely a good option, once you start talking about aftermarket products, there's a million ways you could go.........good luck & keep us informed
Old 12-12-16, 06:52 PM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to see your car being smashed.
Old 12-15-16, 11:42 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I replaced my OEM with Rockford Fosgate 8 ohm 6.5" midbass woofers. They sound amazing and much more depth than the ML speakers. I did a full system still using the ML amp. I will soon replace the RF 6.5" for 8ohm JL Audio, but have to make a custom speaker cover. For the price, go aftermarket and see if you prefer the sound and quality. I did. There's debate on this forum about staying with the factory 8ohm or not, that's a personal choice. I run the RF 8ohm speakers in the door, 4ohm JL audio in the rear, and a dual voice coil 16 ohm subwoofer in the OEM location. With those components alone, I got tons of compliments on the sound. I went one step further and added a 8" JL Audio subwoofer in a custom trunk space saving box with a JL Audio 1200 Amp and my friends just lose it over the sound now. Something to think about before paying $175 for one OEM Mark Levinson door speaker.
Old 12-26-16, 08:22 AM
ccurtin1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback and kind words. So my car is in pieces at JM Lexus and I just want to hand them 2 6x9 speakers that can plug and play. What is out there for less than $100/pair that are superior to the ML and don't need a bracket. Thanks guys, and I hope each of you had a great Christmas.

My SC430 has been DOA at JM Lexus since 12/9/16 because of the break-in. sigh. I have been missing all this great convertible weather in South Florida!
Old 12-27-16, 09:35 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I would personally look into the link I will post below. Unfortunately, since your door panel is probably already disassembled, you could just measure (or ask a tech to measure), the depth of the 6x9 speaker location with the window down to tell us the clearance. Personally, I would to know this figure, as I've got a plan for speaker upgrade in the future. After knowing that depth, we can be more specific in which speakers will fit without modification.

http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...oofer--264-837
Old 12-27-16, 09:32 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I would personally look into the link I will post below. Unfortunately, since your door panel is probably already disassembled, you could just measure (or ask a tech to measure), the depth of the 6x9 speaker location with the window down to tell us the clearance. Personally, I would to know this figure, as I've got a plan for speaker upgrade in the future. After knowing that depth, we can be more specific in which speakers will fit without modification.

http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...oofer--264-837
I have read in multiple other posts that the door speaker depth clearance is apprx 3.0 inches. Speaker listed above is more than 4 inches deep so likely will be too deep without significant spacer being built to install.
Old 12-27-16, 10:31 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by markfx
Substantially upgrading the door speakers to 'audiophile' levels is pointless with the stock head unit and amplifier. I know because I did just that. There was a marginal improvement in sound, but the stock system could not drive the new speakers, and I was massively disappointed.

Probably your best bet to get better sound without spending an arm and a leg on speakers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx

FWIW I installed Hybrid Audio Technology speakers:

http://hybrid-audio.com/unity/

Then I added an Alpine head unit and Kenwood Amp...
as my cars system was basically new with 18k miles I thought to replace the head.

Major difference with the pioneer. Big help was the sound retrieval system for compressed media.

Plus the obvious DVD advantage.

Stock everything else. Equalizer set to flat its good. Adding the retrieval system is good enough results I will not change the rest for a while.

high end amps used to have "dynamic range expander." Seems to be in the pioneer also.

i have extensive stereo system experience and have seriously modded cars many times.

we are older now and do not normally play stuff really loud much anymore.

The Apple car audio with the Beats sonic adaptor plugged into the stereo is a easy background sound source.

if I was into it I would make up SD cards from DVD sources and probably work even better.

the ML stereo fidelity improves with more volume.

bigger amp and better speakers would probably sound better at lower volume levels which always what my results were before.

too over powering for "greys" riding around talking and playing the stereo as background

so I add the retrieval effect and turn down the volume

Last edited by Caflashbob; 12-27-16 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-29-16, 11:03 AM
ccurtin1
Driver School Candidate

Supposedly these work with the brackets and connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/DS18-MB69-Wat...cm_rdp_product

Anyone have any experience with them? If not, I might take one for the team

Quick Reply: Full set of Speakers for 2008 SC430