Clanging sound in L/F Suspension while Getting in the Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-16, 07:47 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Clanging sound in L/F Suspension while Getting in the Vehicle

Hi All,
Its been a while since my last post. I have been enjoying the 2010 SC430 very much. Since it was a certified car, my local lexus dealer has been trying to correct a suspension noise in the Left front that only occurs when getting in the vehicle after its been sitting for a least 4 hours. It would do it more in the summer when it is hot and dry. After unsuccessful outcomes, but not due to a lack of effort, I got my ACE assistant (my wife), and we spent the better part of four mornings with her getting in the vehicle while I was out under the car with my hand on a different suspension component each time to try to isolate the cause.

*****************We found it****************************
The mini link that has metal pivots on each end that connects the lower control arm to a sensor that tells the computer the position of the suspension was causing the noise, I took it out and found those mini joints to be very dry. I pried back the rubber boot on each end and squirted some silicone spray in them and reinstalled the link. Problem solved, noise gone.

AWESOME!! Now if someone could figure out how to remedy the brake pad snapping noise going from reverse to forward after backing up all the "noise" issues would be solved.

*****Further research******* The link part is only available from Lexus by getting the whole sensor and link Assy. Part #8940624050 $470.59. At these prices I suggest removing it, gently prying back the rubber seals and lubricating the pivot ***** with silicone spray and then re-installing it. It worked for us.

********Further Experience******** The silcone spray dries out due to the proximity of engine heat. I took the link out again and this time popped off the rubber seals of the pivot joints and lubed them up with "Never Seize" in the aerosol spray can. Popped the rubber boots back on reinstalled the part and now it is "all set". BTW, High pressure Never Seize spray does such a good job but made a mess of my bench, vice, shoes and pants, cover everything up you do not want "treated" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
********Further Experience********** Remove the small link that attaches the lower pivot ball to the lower control arm and put "Never Seize" on both sides of the small link, reinstall on contol arm then reinstall pivot ball. Extra insurance to make sure the noise does not come back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tiglesias

Last edited by tiglesias; 10-08-16 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jszachar (08-23-21)
Old 08-20-16, 02:29 PM
2004sc
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

According to my Lexus dealer the brake noise is just one of the "quirks" of the SC430. He says they all do it. I know my 2004 does.
Old 08-20-16, 03:04 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Tiglesias,

Your post has made my day!! For years I have pursued this exact same issue and had Lexus examine the suspension at least 3 times. I will take this information to them and have this done ( I'm not able to do it myself ). Since this noise ONLY happens once when you first sit down in the car, they haven't been able to duplicate it. Once it makes it's noise it is silent until many hours pass, just exactly as you describe. I have a low mileage '02 and the dealer has always said the suspension is still excellent.

The noise sounds like a coin dropping in a metal can; is only a single 'clang' and only after sitting overnight. I never drive in the rain, but, recently I was caught in a downpour and parked it as usual in my garage. For a few days, that noise was gone; now I know that somehow the water must have 'lubricated' this mini joint. I wonder if this is a part that should be replaced or a new boot installed or if it's just normal with time?

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that you found this and posted your info; THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( fyi I have the same situation and explanation from Lexus about the brake noise; I also had it on a GS I owned. It's just something about their brake pad situation design I guess ).

THANKS AGAIN!

by the way, mind if I ask where in MA you are? I used to own a small vacation house in West Hyannisport on the cape years ago and miss it greatly.

Old 08-20-16, 06:17 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The brake noise is not a given. The dealers may tell you that it is but it can be fixed. (There are a few threads on this forum about how to fix it.)

It is related to the spring clips not being able to automatically return the pads to their proper place without a small jolt. It can be one of several things: debris in the travel path, weak springs, corrosion (or crud) on the guide pin for the pad (there was a recent thread on how to clean & free up that pin).
Old 08-21-16, 09:39 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JDaveSC430
Tiglesias,

Your post has made my day!! For years I have pursued this exact same issue and had Lexus examine the suspension at least 3 times. I will take this information to them and have this done ( I'm not able to do it myself ). Since this noise ONLY happens once when you first sit down in the car, they haven't been able to duplicate it. Once it makes it's noise it is silent until many hours pass, just exactly as you describe. I have a low mileage '02 and the dealer has always said the suspension is still excellent.

The noise sounds like a coin dropping in a metal can; is only a single 'clang' and only after sitting overnight. I never drive in the rain, but, recently I was caught in a downpour and parked it as usual in my garage. For a few days, that noise was gone; now I know that somehow the water must have 'lubricated' this mini joint. I wonder if this is a part that should be replaced or a new boot installed or if it's just normal with time?

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that you found this and posted your info; THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( fyi I have the same situation and explanation from Lexus about the brake noise; I also had it on a GS I owned. It's just something about their brake pad situation design I guess ).

THANKS AGAIN!

by the way, mind if I ask where in MA you are? I used to own a small vacation house in West Hyannisport on the cape years ago and miss it greatly.
Hi JDave,

I am so glad you found this tip helpful. I would recommend that you replace the mini-link. The grease used to lubricate the ball sockets dries up and it creaks only once getting in the car. I lubricated mine but will consider having it replace before the CPO warranty expires. BTW, we live in Marlborough, Mass and enjoy driving our SC on all of the famous New England country roads. Vermont is our favorite.
Old 08-21-16, 01:34 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tiglesias
Hi JDave,

I am so glad you found this tip helpful. I would recommend that you replace the mini-link. The grease used to lubricate the ball sockets dries up and it creaks only once getting in the car. I lubricated mine but will consider having it replace before the CPO warranty expires. BTW, we live in Marlborough, Mass and enjoy driving our SC on all of the famous New England country roads. Vermont is our favorite.
I will indeed replace the mini-link. I imagine both sides would be justified being replaced if one is dried out. So glad to finally have a real life example and solution to this annoying item!

I have been to Marlborough way back in the '80's for a business meeting; charming city and I remember having a terrific dinner at the Longfellow Inn restaurant somewhere near there. I love our NC scenery, but, MA is an overall favorite!

Many thanks again; this website and its members are the best auto owner forum bar none.
Old 08-21-16, 02:34 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Could you post a picture of the mini link? I'm not familiar with those.
Old 08-22-16, 08:48 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Is this the link in question? I am touching the link with the orange handle.
i believe this is used for the auto leveling headlights.
Old 08-23-16, 01:55 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

BGW70,

thanks for posting great photo; hoping the OP will see it and confirm it is the link he identified!
Old 08-23-16, 04:33 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Is "MINI LINK" the actual name of the part?
Thank you
Chris....From OZ.

Old 08-23-16, 05:08 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lesly1
Is "MINI LINK" the actual name of the part?
Thank you
Chris....From OZ.
Height control sensor link

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-23-16 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SC430Dad (11-25-22)
Old 08-23-16, 05:18 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

It's all about the headlights...

Old 08-23-16, 07:28 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Yes, it was the height control sensor link that was causing the "coin in a can" sound when I got in the car in the am or after a few hours of a long hot run. The pivot joint grease dries out over time. I would suggest replacement. Left side only as far as I know. I just came back from a "hot" run of 250 miles to Vermont and the noise is GONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiglesias
Former Toyota Technical Education Network Instructor
Old 08-23-16, 07:37 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Yes, that is it. Replace it if you are experiencing the "coin in the can" sound upon entering the vehicle on the drivers side and sitting down.

tiglesias
Old 08-23-16, 07:40 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Hi Jdave,

We live right down the street from the Wayside Inn. I love their Boston Scrod and the real Hot Fudge Sundaes! If you are ever in the area, please reach out to me, It would be my pleasure!

tiglesias

Quick Reply: Clanging sound in L/F Suspension while Getting in the Vehicle