SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New 05 SC430 member

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-16, 07:34 AM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New 05 SC430 member

Hi, I am a brand new owner of a not so brand-new SC430 (67,000 miles on her). I just took delivery of it two days ago and I love it. I traded in my 2011 ISC250 for a 2005 SC430. I can't believe how fun this car is to drive. I've owned a lot of convertibles in the past (three Mercedes SLKs, two BMW 3 series, a Lexus ISC, a Miata, a Saturn Sky). But this is (so far) my favorite car I've ever driven. I can't believe how comfortable the seats are, how luxurious the interior is, and how zippy the V8 engine is.

I haven't missed my ISC for a second - well, not entirely true. I do miss the stereo. So I bought a Pioneer NEX4200, a Sirius XM tuner, a backup camera and the MVA-13L - they should be installed in about a week and a half. To tie me over until then, I'm burning CDs on my computer this morning.

The only little issues I have are that I cannot believe how many rock chips are on the front of the car and that they only had one key for me at delivery. I bought it from Mission Viejo's Lexus dealership and the salesman was terrific though. They wanted to charge me about $300 at the Torrance Lexus near my house and he is doing it for half price later this week. The only slightly more major issue is apparently the older guy that owned this car scratched it going out of his garage and it has a bit of a gnarly scar on the driver door. He tried to fix it with touch up paint - not very well. So I think for Christmas, I'm asking for my present from the spouse to be getting that fixed and the hood repainted to remove the rock chips. What can I say? I'm a slightly superficial gal and while she is beautiful, I want her to be even more beautiful.

The car came with some chrome wheels that are not to my taste. I would love to switch them out for some plain alloys or maybe some black ones. Even other chrome would be more to my liking. I am hoping to eventually try to do a trade on the wheels. I don't want to buy four new wheels if I can avoid it - the cost of the stereo and installation has broken my bank for a while. But I'm guessing I'll just have to save up to get something else.

Still, all in all, I love her. And I'm honored to join the SC430 club. I've loved these cars for a long time and am glad to finally have one.

Last edited by sblevins; 07-02-16 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-02-16, 08:35 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 912 Likes on 732 Posts

Welcome to the SC430 Club and hope you will have many years of driving enjoyment!

I would invite you to post any pictures you have of the stereo modification process, which is always helpful to others looking to do the same. Please include a description of the features the radio can perform etc.

Also, if you want to save money on the keys, you can always do it yourself and there are threads on here which will guide you through the process.
Old 07-02-16, 08:42 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome! Car looks awesome (and probably the best looking driveway I've seen also)!

I think you are spot on with what you have done so far and what you intend to do (I agree on the wheels!).

This car is a great luxo cruiser that has some muscle when needed. So quiet, so smooth. Choice of tires makes a huge difference in the quiet/smoothness.

The only other mod I would consider is a LuxLink. Hard to get, but totally great to have.

Go Trojans!
Old 07-02-16, 09:23 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Welcome to the party. It looks great, I'm sure the two of you will have lots of fun.
Old 07-02-16, 01:14 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Congratulations on your new acquisition! These are great cars and the majority of folks that get them, love them for a long time. (I've had mine for 10 years now and still wouldn't trade if for anything else out there right now.)

After you get your front end repainted, you ought to consider a clear bra for the front end. (It is essentially a clear film that is installed on the front end that you can't see without getting really close.) It will protect your paint from all but the most ardent rocks that come flying your way.
Old 07-03-16, 07:39 AM
jtrice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! Fight On!
Old 07-03-16, 09:07 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

OP congrats - my 2005 has been with me for 8 years now and I am still very pleased to get in an drive every so often. Your mods sound great - I have TSWs on mine for the summer - see if you like this.
Old 07-04-16, 04:34 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, good choice. Nice looking car. The radio upgrade is quite common and worth the effort.
Old 07-04-16, 08:36 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Welcome tripple black is hard to beat just a lot of work to keep it nice. I have a 2005 Pebble beach Great car
Old 07-05-16, 06:19 PM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
OP congrats - my 2005 has been with me for 8 years now and I am still very pleased to get in an drive every so often. Your mods sound great - I have TSWs on mine for the summer - see if you like this.
I do like your wheels, very nice. My budget is a bit busted tight now with the stereo install, so we opted for some rather plain machine black/silver 5 spokes. Plus, I am an old lady and can't get away with the wheels some of you fellas can.

Thanks very much everyone for the warm welcome, it is much appreciated. Also thanks to the comment about the driveway. We bought the house like that, but I do rather like it. And for my fellow Trojans, Fight On indeed.

Off to get the wheels installed tomorrow morning, then picking up the new key in the afternoon. Thursday will be the radio install, alas, I won't have photos as I am not a DIY kinda girl, just dropping it off at Best Buy. I have the Pioneer 4200NEX, the Sirius, the backup camera and the MVA-13L all being installed, so I imagine I will be camped at Starbucks all day. Still, I will be thrilled to get it all installed.

I definitely want the hood repainted - but again, will have to wait - or ask the spouuse for it for my birthday. Thank you for the recommendation for the clear bra, I will definitely give it a lot of thought.

I can see I have a lot of reading to do, I appreciate the thread on the mirror - mine also won't go up or down, only side to side, so I will try tugging on it.

So far, I am still loving this car to death - I saw online someone mentioned it is like floating on a cloud. I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-06-16, 04:17 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by sblevins
I do like your wheels, very nice. My budget is a bit busted tight now with the stereo install, so we opted for some rather plain machine black/silver 5 spokes. Plus, I am an old lady and can't get away with the wheels some of you fellas can.

I can see I have a lot of reading to do, I appreciate the thread on the mirror - mine also won't go up or down, only side to side, so I will try tugging on it.
There are several of us that are "aged" in years on this forum but this car helps reverse some of that!

You're right. There is a ton of information on this forum and the members are quite helpful.
Old 07-06-16, 11:31 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Ah! Onyx Black. Congratulation.
I have the same color and love it.