SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Techstream

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 07:27 AM
theazz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Techstream

On my 2003 SC I want to turn off the annoying under dash heat that seems to on all the time. Can I do this with the Techstream cable and software.
Also in 2015 LexBrett said he was buying the cable from ebay but I can't find out if he has success with it..
theazz
Old 06-01-16, 07:51 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theazz
On my 2003 SC I want to turn off the annoying under dash heat that seems to on all the time. Can I do this with the Techstream cable and software.
Yes, it's a "customisation" you can have done at a Dealer or using TechStream.

Screenshot attached for the Air Conditioner ECU. "Foot Air Out Operation" is the one you refer to. I can't recall what the "customisation" screen calls it, and I don't have screen shots of that to hand. The point is, yes you can control it and check what it is set to.

I was going to link you to a reply I did a couple of days ago about where to get TechStream but it will be cleaner for me to paste it here...

It all sounds more complex than it actually is. Just buy it, you won't regret it.

---

There is a lot of threads/posts on the topic, but all rather confusing and conflictory.

Part of that is the confusion between the version of the Software (comes on a mini-CD) and that of the Firmware (in the "cable").
  • Firmware is typically 1.4.1 or 2.0.x (see note 1 & 2)
  • Software is typically 10.10.018 (or thereabouts. see note 3)

Note 1: Some will state as a fact that you need 2.0.whatever to carry out "Active Tests" or whatever. False. I have 1.4.1 and the software is fully functional... tests, data lists, clear DTC etc

Note 2: It is reported that 2006+ SC430's need Firmware 2.0.x+ for the full functions (EG "Active Tests") to work.

Note 3: You may think the very latest SW is a good thing. False. They (Toyota aka Denso) bring out new versions to cover new models and features. Hardly applicable to the SC430!

Note 4: Some will say that TechStream will only run under XP (or other 32bit windows). False. To be fair you do need to do a little fiddling for x64 but it's easy enough (I run mine on Windows 8.1 x64).

So, having said all that... v1.4.1 firmware & v10.10.018 software is FINE for your car theazz (a pre 2006 model).

This is the exact one I bought from AliExpress.com (see footnote) ~£10/€13/$15. The seller is bare bones, no description or flashy reassurances so if I wasn't pointing you at it, you wouldn't have a clue what you were getting. But I'll vouch for this one!

Alternatively you can search Amazon. This one on Amazon.ca *looks* fine. If you're worried about it, send a message to the seller asking "what the Firmware & Software levels are" (don't prompt them, just ask... if they come back with 1.4.x or 2.0.x AND 10.0.x then you know what your getting. If they say 10.0.x then they don't have a clue what they are selling as they don't know the difference between firmware & software etc).

Footnote: As this forum software seems to rewrite URL's so they can get referral fees links don't always work. So here is the URL for the aliexpress item... ]http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-Reated-V10-10-018-MINI-VCI-OBD-Diagnostic-Interface-Standard-Communication-MINI-VCI-J2534-TIS/1000001652155.html[
Attached Thumbnails Techstream-air-conditioner.jpg  

Last edited by Scarletti; 06-01-16 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Making the pre/post 2006 firmware point
The following users liked this post:
beaunoz (09-05-17)
Old 06-01-16, 08:18 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Also in 2015 LexBrett said he was buying the cable from ebay but I can't find out if he has success with it..
theazz
Adding on to Scarletti's great info...This link will provide plenty of techstream info
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...r-2-0-4-a.html

To answer your question directly, yes, TechStream can modify that setting.
LexBrett sold his SC430 and purchased a MB, he has not been back to CL.
Old 06-01-16, 08:33 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

having firmware version 1.4 is only fine if you have older SCs. We have been through this before and a number of tests have been done. The firmware that works for all of our cars is version 2.0.4. If you have earlier version it may work fine. Newer SCs (including my 06) will not work with anything but version 2. One of our members did a rather comprehensive test of this a couple years ago. Someone may remember who it was.
Old 06-01-16, 09:00 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iolmaster
having firmware version 1.4 is only fine if you have older SCs. We have been through this before and a number of tests have been done. The firmware that works for all of our cars is version 2.0.4. If you have earlier version it may work fine. Newer SCs (including my 06) will not work with anything but version 2. One of our members did a rather comprehensive test of this a couple years ago. Someone may remember who it was.
I've amended my post to include & clear up the pre/post 2006 aspect, especially as it relates to him. To ensure the post is complete and correct for anyone & everyone.

However theazz does have a pre 2006 car (as does bimmer, who posted about his roof problem)
Old 06-01-16, 09:27 AM
theazz
Driver

Great information.
I really appreciate this.
theazz
Old 06-01-16, 09:32 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I have asked before and will ask again. Will a moderator please make one of these TechStream conversations a sticky?

I tried to capture all of the TechSteam link I could find and post them in the other thread. In the last two days, we have two more threads about techstream.

Thanks
Old 06-01-16, 09:36 AM
theazz
Driver

Do I need the 16 pin connector
theazz
Old 06-01-16, 09:42 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

theazz
No, it's built in.

The OBD-II socket is built in to the car (by your knee as you sit in the Drivers seat).

The "cable" plugs into this and a USB socket of course.

You don't need anything else.
Old 06-01-16, 09:42 AM
iolmaster
Racer

theazz
The 16 pin connector is what we have under our dash. These will fit that connector. You do not need to buy anything but the cable.
Old 06-01-16, 09:44 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I have asked before and will ask again. Will a moderator please make one of these TechStream conversations a sticky?

I tried to capture all of the TechSteam link I could find and post them in the other thread. In the last two days, we have two more threads about techstream.

Thanks
I could not agree more!
Old 06-01-16, 09:49 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

I don't see the problem.

We currently have one announcement and seven stickies currently. I have to scroll down before I get to the first post on every page! This is causing unacceptable wear and tear on my keyboard/trackpad and I protest in the strongest possible terms!

On a more serious note:

Well, theazz's post (this one) and bimmers (roof problem) were about their exact circumstances. A general post about TechStream won't cover every single SC430's owners questions about their specific problem/issue.

So you won't avoid these questions/replies popping up from time to time.
Old 06-01-16, 12:53 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Scarletti,
If you don't mind will you post your very detailed information in that tech stream thread I created?
It is the type of info I was attempting to capture when I created the thread.
Old 06-01-16, 04:12 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Or you post links to the other threads in BGW's thread and use that as the index. Then BGW's thread will cover them all.
Old 06-09-16, 05:10 AM
theazz
Driver

Guys
I received my techstream but can't get the computer to install the drivers.
I'm running win 10.
Theazz

Quick Reply: Techstream