SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Guys, need a little help here. VSC on with overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 10:20 PM
demosc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys, need a little help here. VSC on with overheating

Hi guys, i have an 02 SC430 and I recently noticed that my temperature gauge rose to 3/4 high after driving pretty hard on the interstate and then coming to a complete stop on side street traffic (mind you, it was like 95F outside) After traffic cleared and i started to move, the temp gauge went down to 1/2 and never rose again. I tried to replicate the problem by having the car on idle and revving for a few minutes, but she stayed at half. I told my brother to watch the temp gauge if he drives it. He said the coolant was low and added coolant. Driving today, storming like hell, on the exit, i pull up to the red light and notice my temp gauge is to the cold position, but i have a check engine light on, VSC light on and VSC off light. I also noticed I'm smoking like hell, so i pull over to the nearest covering and pop the hood. My rad cap has popped off and coolant has spewed all over the engine. let it cool down and put the car on accessory. At this point, my temp gauge is still at the cold position. started it up with no problems and the temp gauge shoots to the overheating position. I shut it down, let it cool. After a few minutes, i fire it up and drive it to the nearest gas station maybe 1000 ft away. Filled up almost 2 gallons of water and let it run with the rad cap off to get the air bubbles out. I notice a lot of air purging itself out of the coolant system. after running for 5 minutes with no variation in my temp gauge, i drive it for 5 minutes with no problems, no funny sounds, no funny misfire, no smoke (front or rear). The lights still have not come off... I can only attribute the overheating to air being in the cooling system. Im just wondering if anyone had a similar experience or can lead me to the direction of how to clear the lights. Also, why was there a jumping temp gauge? I hope i didnt damage the engine by not noticing it quicker. I plan to change my oils tomorrow and look for signs of oil in the coolant (fingers crossed). Its running fine now, but i just want to know what you guys are thinking of my problem. Thanks
Old 05-18-16, 03:07 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

First, don't drive the car until you figure this out!!!
I don't want to scare you but the damage may already been done, I hope not, but these aluminum engines like to stay below the warped head temperature.

If you turn wrenches, you need to look the radiator over very good, they like to crack. They can be purchased on Amazon for under $100. There are threads, on this subject.

Let's find out why you lost fluid in the first place, then we can move on to the VSC CEL.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ement-diy.html

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-18-16 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 05:23 PM
demosc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, so today i changed my oil and noticed that it was burned slightly. last time i used castrol gtx high milage. This time i went with mobile 1 high milage synthetic. filled up coolant, started it up and let it get to temp. squeezed the top radiator hose and noticed that coolant was leaking out from below the cap. changed the radiator cap and low and behold, not a single drop of coolant when i squeezed the same hose. soon, I'm going to change out the entire radiator and all the hoses. my water pump and thermostat have about 8k miles on it and its not leaking, so ill keep an eye out on that... also all of my lights are off. Car is running smooth, not a single shake, good power and awesome acceleration. lets hope it was just a simple problem.
Thanks guys
Old 05-18-16, 06:29 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

That's great news demo. Hopefully your radiator cap was the problem. That's an interesting test (squeezing the hose). I'll have to remember that.