SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Suggestions for Wire Connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 06:40 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Suggestions for Wire Connectors?

Hi All-
I'm currently doing some electrical work and have been connecting/jumping wires.
Using "t" connectors like this,

https://www.google.com/search?q=wire...86%3B500%3B500

Are there better or more reliable wire connectors anyone might suggest? I have found these connectors a bit unreliable and making the jump from wire to wire is challenging since they don't splice so well..
Old 05-18-15, 07:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

How about these? I used this type and they were very easy to use and fast. They grab the wire when you push it in.
http://www.idealind.com/prodDetail.d...v=0&l1=push-in

I want to say I purchased them at Lowes.
Old 05-18-15, 08:18 AM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Brett the ones you have are the old fashion way of connecting wires that works all the time. The ones Bgw showing on the link looks fancy. It says that it reduces stress from wires moving.

If you decide to get them Brett, please get extra so I can use some too, Lol!

Thanks, Roy
Old 05-18-15, 08:40 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
How about these? I used this type and they were very easy to use and fast. They grab the wire when you push it in.
http://www.idealind.com/prodDetail.d...v=0&l1=push-in

I want to say I purchased them at Lowes.
Hey thanks looks fancy!

But I am looking for a connector for a solid line to a partial wire.

For example, a power source coming from the OBD2 port and connecting a wire.

Makes sense? A solid continuous wire that needs to be joined with a cut/stranded wire.

The ones you show I think are only for two stranded/cut wires...
Old 05-18-15, 08:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Hey thanks looks fancy!

But I am looking for a connector for a solid line to a partial wire.

For example, a power source coming from the OBD2 port and connecting a wire.

Makes sense? A solid continuous wire that needs to be joined with a cut/stranded wire.

The ones you show I think are only for two stranded/cut wires...
Valid point! I have used the type you show many times and normally have good luck. If the wires are small, 20awg problems will certainly show up.

I will keep looking...
Old 05-18-15, 08:53 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Do a google search for wire tap connectors, then go to images. There are some different designs that you may want to try.
Old 05-18-15, 12:41 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a trick I always use on those T-Taps (red ones in your pic: Once you get the wires in the tap like you want them (fully seated) and before you fold the little plastic flap over, use a pair of pliers to really squeeze that little metal guillotine in tight. I used to make the mistake of clamping down AFTER closing the flap and you can never get a good connection that way.

Hope that makes sense!
Old 05-18-15, 12:46 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Helogadget
Here's a trick I always use on those T-Taps (red ones in your pic: Once you get the wires in the tap like you want them (fully seated) and before you fold the little plastic flap over, use a pair of pliers to really squeeze that little metal guillotine in tight. I used to make the mistake of clamping down AFTER closing the flap and you can never get a good connection that way.

Hope that makes sense!
Actually I even go a step further and shave down the wire a bit so it is exposed. Obviously the battery is disconnected :-)
Old 05-18-15, 12:47 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used both the old T-Taps and the newer push-in ones BGW linked to but I prefer using Posi-Locks for wiring projects on the cars or bikes (unless I'm doing wire-end work when I use Molex connectors). Posi-Locks also come in waterproof models. A better connection then the older connector types although they only work at 90 degree angles to the wire when making an inline connection (although you could cut the original wire and use an inline Posi-Lock as well.
Old 05-18-15, 12:51 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

I had never seen posi locks before. Just looked them up and those look like the way to go! I will definitely use those on my next electrical project. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by DiggerJim
I've used both the old T-Taps and the newer push-in ones BGW linked to but I prefer using Posi-Locks for wiring projects on the cars or bikes (unless I'm doing wire-end work when I use Molex connectors). Posi-Locks also come in waterproof models. A better connection then the older connector types although they only work at 90 degree angles to the wire when making an inline connection (although you could cut the original wire and use an inline Posi-Lock as well.
Old 05-18-15, 12:55 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

You can get them all over but not always all of the sizes/types. Walmart carries them as do Advance Auto and Autozone. Not sure if I've seen them at Pep Boys. I do a lot of farkling on my motorcycles so I just buy bunches of them off Amazon. I really like the waterproof ones because water always seems to work into odd places on the bikes (although I could just blob up a regular one with some silicone).
Old 05-18-15, 01:15 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Farkling! That's a new one on me. I like it.

Originally Posted by DiggerJim
You can get them all over but not always all of the sizes/types. Walmart carries them as do Advance Auto and Autozone. Not sure if I've seen them at Pep Boys. I do a lot of farkling on my motorcycles so I just buy bunches of them off Amazon. I really like the waterproof ones because water always seems to work into odd places on the bikes (although I could just blob up a regular one with some silicone).
Old 05-18-15, 03:22 PM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just go old-school: Skin, Splice, Solder, then shrink wrap, and make sure they Ω - out when done .

The new stuff is great and easy to work with, but I learned years ago from riding old British and American Motorcycles that it was worth doing it right the first time instead of chasing electrical gremlins on the side of the road during a thunderstorm ...
Old 05-18-15, 06:32 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Found some t-tap connectors they look very nice

http://www.wiringproducts.com/quick-slide-connectors
Old 05-18-15, 06:47 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NAmVet68
I just go old-school: Skin, Splice, Solder, then shrink wrap, and make sure they Ω - out when done .

The new stuff is great and easy to work with, but I learned years ago from riding old British and American Motorcycles that it was worth doing it right the first time instead of chasing electrical gremlins on the side of the road during a thunderstorm ...
Absolutely!

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Wire Connectors?