Rear bearing replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-13, 09:16 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rear bearing replacement question

Hi guys,

so i previously had a thread about wobble issues and many helped point out that it was my bearings or hubs which seems to make sense as I remember i had no issues before i added wheels and drove without hub rings which obviously bent something and my studs are also slightly bent from that but there too long anyways so im getting slightly shorter ones.

now ill be replacing my front hubs/bearings BUT studs on all wheels.. my question is since the rear hub has to be pulled out anyways to change the studs should i get the rear bearings done also? or does replacing rear bearings require the whole assembly to be taken out? i know i dont really need the rear done, but i was considering since the rear hubs will be pulled out anyway.. i assume the bearing has to be pressed out?

second question: aside from just the bearings what other parts or pieces do i need when i replacing the bearing, i noticed something about seals?

Thank you!
Old 11-19-13, 11:40 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Bimmer

I can't answer your question about the rear bearings, but are you sure you have to pull the hub to change the studs, I didn't.

Here are some pics to show how I did it.

Obviously if your studs are much longer than mine you will have too. Mine are 68mm.

I tried to get a socket to fit the hub nut because I could not fit the new studs, but when I could not get one at short notice I tried again and figured out how to do it.

Hope it helps.
Cheers
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Rear bearing replacement question-1.jpg   Rear bearing replacement question-2.jpg   Rear bearing replacement question-3.jpg  
Old 11-19-13, 12:34 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi Bimmer

I can't answer your question about the rear bearings, but are you sure you have to pull the hub to change the studs, I didn't.

Here are some pics to show how I did it.

Obviously if your studs are much longer than mine you will have too. Mine are 68mm.

I tried to get a socket to fit the hub nut because I could not fit the new studs, but when I could not get one at short notice I tried again and figured out how to do it.

Hope it helps.
Cheers
Steve
Thankyou Steve the pics are great! And the reason i thought the hub needs to be pulled out is because my mecanic replaced them in the past with ARP's.. and he said it cant be done without pulling them out so I wasnt sure :/, i guess it was a quicker way for him since hes always busy, I would attempt to change the rear studs my self but its really cold here now so i have no choice.. But this was really good to know! Thankyou
Old 11-20-13, 10:31 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

So no one has done bearings?