Gun vault and/or mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 07:17 PM
grottoman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gun vault and/or mount

Hello all-

I searched the forum; the only reference I saw to a weapon was a threat to blast a bird with a road flare after it spit some berry juice on somebody's sc430.

I am a newly minted permit holder for concealed carry of a pistol. But my intent is not to carry it on my person except in the most extreme situation, the threshold for which I've not yet experienced.

My aim is never to need a weapon, and prefer to focus on enjoying the ride of this great sc430 vehicle.. However, in the wake of a massive storm recently, I saw how quickly things can get ugly as gas, food, and water start to disappear, and it became clear that in certain circumstances, I'd prefer not to have my car jacked without a umm, discussion.

My thought is to keep one pistol in my car, but not easily accessible, and only put it in reach if I anticipate a potentially dangerous trip or situation for some reason.

So my questions are:
Is anybody else armed in their sc430?
Do you keep it on your person?
Or is it locked in a 'vault', and if so, what model, and where have you mounted or stored the case?
Or do you have a retention holster mounted somewhere, like on the side of the center console, or the bottom of the steering column, or in the glove box, or ?
Or is the thought of introducing a weapon into these things of beauty too repulsive for everybody, so you are sticking with the good old tire iron?

Thoughts and feedback welcome.

Not looking for a debate about the role of weapons / etc, I'm committed to storing a weapon in the car, at least on occasion, and am asking about other people's experience and/or thoughts on
-how to do this safely (avoid a random person from getting a hold of it)
-how to do this defensively (avoid a car thief or break-in artist from easily identifying the object and/or lifting it)
-etc

Thanks very much.
Old 10-28-13, 08:21 PM
indawire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden away

Yes, I do carry while in the car, whatever I happen to be using is on me. If for some reason I need to take it off it goes in the bottom of the center console and locked up. This is rare, usually only when going into a prohibited location - Post Office, school, courthouse etc .The glove box is another obvious location but that's where all the paperwork is. Lets face it, when was the last time you were pulled over and were not doing something that attracted attention? Like speeding or running a light? I'm just not the profile anyone is looking for. I am still exploring a deeper hide location but they tend to be inaccessible on a moments notice.
Old 10-28-13, 09:48 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been carrying for over 20 years. I rarely leave it in the car when parked. On longer drives I put it in the center console but mostly on my person in a holster. Either a side belt holster or Small of Back holster.

Other times, like going to dinner or when I need to valet park it goes in my wife's purse, she has a carry permit also.

I learned my lesson. I left a nice Walther PPKS in my locked car in an airport parking lot. When I got back to my car it was gone, as was my company laptop.

My car has been broken into 3 times. Once at the airport, once at a Mall and once in my driveway at home. The first time they got the Walther and laptop. Second time they got a cell phone. Third time they got my car radio. Stolen guns find themselves in bad guy hands. Not good.

JR
Old 10-29-13, 06:58 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

There is a small lock-box available through Cabelas or the like. It can be opened with your finger scan. I don't think it would fit in the center console but may fit in the glove box. You can get the dimensions on Cabelas web-site. I worked in a prison for 30 years and don't carry. Just don't feel the need, but I'm in a fairly low-crime area.
Old 10-29-13, 09:04 AM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your going to carry, then carry. Keep it on you and carry as much as you can.

You do not have the ability to predict when bad things will happen.

A soft holster can be wedged in between the seat and the center console.
Old 10-29-13, 12:59 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

WOW, what an amazing thread.

Being a Brit, this is something I could never imagine being discussed on a motoring forum!!!!!!!!

Keep it coming, you have my interest.

Best regards
Steve
Old 10-29-13, 01:16 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I am pleased to see that this thread is staying on track and not veering into a debate on the underlying issue.

Having said that, I may be stating the obvious, but y'all need to be careful when passing through states with different laws. Know what the "Safe Passage" provision of the federal Firearm Owner's Protection Act lets you do and, more importantly, not do.

As an example, tourists are often arrested here in D.C. because they stopped to see a landmark or visit the Capitol on their way down I-95. Not only is the gun in your trunk, locked and unloaded, going to get you arrested, it is an automatic three business days in jail before your bail hearing.
Old 10-29-13, 05:07 PM
grottoman
Driver

Default feedback thoughts

To the Brit-

Yes, a cultural tweak, must be strange for you. I had some turkish friends up at my lake house over the summer, and they were astonished that I had a weapon there (my Grand Uncle's 22 rifle- I'm not a major hobbyist or collector by any stretch).

And JohnnyCake, yes, very pleased it's staying on topic, as well. I knew it was a high risk, so I tried to head that off.

All-

Those are definitely big issues
-ability to carry in certain jurisdiction (I plan to really only transport in my local known areas)
-permit validity (states are not all reciprocal, so crossing borders can be a real problem)
-carry all the time vs 'store' in the car- (yes, I'm not ready to carry all the time, prefer to have with me in the car)
-loss due to theft- (yes, definitely don't want to see that happen)

I think I'm leaning currently towards a locked & 'cabled through the seat' default, to prevent easy theft, and then only migrate it out to a holster next to the seat in uncomfortable circumstances.

I know I can't predict random events, but I can at least prepare when there are indicators of potential issues, as I mentioned in my original post. I'm not comfortable trying to constantly carry, in prep for a completely random event.

I really am preparing for a fairly predictable rare event, where trying to get from my city place to my lake place looks a little sketchy.

Thanks again for all the commentary, will let you know where I land for what it's worth.
Old 10-29-13, 06:30 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

If the case happens which you describe then it won't matter to conceal it. And the SC430 is a terrible SHTF vehicle.

Are you going to leave it in the car all the time? (bad idea)
Old 10-29-13, 07:18 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
WOW, what an amazing thread.

Being a Brit, this is something I could never imagine being discussed on a motoring forum!!!!!!!!

Keep it coming, you have my interest.

Best regards
Steve
Steve,

I know it's got to be strange for you to read all this. Actually it's pretty standard in some states today but not in others.

Florida has issued 1 Million Concealed Gun a Permits so far. 1 in 17 residents have permits. As a Florida Resident your permit allows you to carry in 37 other states.

As a private pilot it sometimes becomes tricky to carry. You have to know the rules of each state and with airport security it can get tricky getting to and from the plane.

JR
Old 10-30-13, 04:28 AM
grottoman
Driver

Originally Posted by loveslexus
If the case happens which you describe then it won't matter to conceal it. And the SC430 is a terrible SHTF vehicle.

Are you going to leave it in the car all the time? (bad idea)

Re: the quality of the vehicle for a bugout, I agree. But I only have to get an hour and a half out of the city to get to my 4Runner (a better vehicle for odd circumstances).

Re: leaving it in the car / no need to conceal in a bad situation, both good points as well. But I have to leave it in the car while I'm at work all day. It might make more sense to leave it at my loft, on the assumption I can get to it before I bail out of the city in the circumstance I describe.

I'm not eager to attempt to carry all the time, although I understand the logic behind it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-30-13, 01:16 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Steve,

I know it's got to be strange for you to read all this. Actually it's pretty standard in some states today but not in others.

Florida has issued 1 Million Concealed Gun a Permits so far. 1 in 17 residents have permits. As a Florida Resident your permit allows you to carry in 37 other states.

As a private pilot it sometimes becomes tricky to carry. You have to know the rules of each state and with airport security it can get tricky getting to and from the plane.

JR
Hi JR

All seems so alien to me, but also very interesting.

Does a 'licence to carry' mean you can carry any weapon i.e. a pistol or even a machine gun??????

We can be prosecuted for carring a 'Craft Knife' in the UK!!

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by WIL44; 11-01-13 at 12:10 PM. Reason: dodgy spelling!!!!
Old 10-30-13, 01:20 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by grottoman

Re: leaving it in the car / no need to conceal in a bad situation, both good points as well. But I have to leave it in the car while I'm at work all day. It might make more sense to leave it at my loft, on the assumption I can get to it before I bail out of the city in the circumstance I describe.
What are the circmstances you you think may happen grottoman, sounds like you are expecting a war? lol

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-30-13, 06:08 PM
indawire
Driver School Candidate

Default Got permit?

I and my wife have our Ct. permits, I also have New Hampshire non resident permit and a Utah permit that is recripical in 32 other states. The Firearms Owners Protection Act at least lets me transport across state lines as long as I an legal where I start and finish up. This does mean unloaded and locked in the trunk with ammo in a seperate box. when driving across non recripical states. Better than nothing. In Ct. it's GTG for us anywhere unless specifically prohibited. For our English friend, machine guns are Class 3 regulated weapons, subject to much a more stringent and expensive and lenghtly application process. The cost of Class 3 weapons prohibit many people from owning them who might otherwise. A base starting weapon could be $4,000 U.S. and $8-12,000 is nothing unusual. With real collector or historical interest pieces the sky's the limit. And the cost to shoot? That pile of empty brass at your feet could be worth $400 easy. That being said, it can be the most fun you'll have with your clothes on. Full auto Rock n' Roll is hard to top.
Old 10-30-13, 07:49 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

<- class 3 owner

Quick Reply: Gun vault and/or mount