New SC430 owner - rear speakers have no bass

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 09:36 PM
NextGenLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New SC430 owner - rear speakers have no bass

Hey all,

I just purchased a black 2006 SC430 with Camel leather, 73K miles. Overall, I am very happy with this car.

If I set FADE on my stereo to only use the front speakers, the sound is great - very clear and lots of bass.

If I set FADE on my stereo to only use the rear speakers, there is no bass coming out - the lows cannot be heard at all and mids are a bit more prominent than highs.

Is that expected? If not, is this a problem with my rear speakers or with my sub?
Old 07-13-13, 11:31 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had to guess, your sub is done. Find about an hour of free time and take out your back seats to check your sub, there are plenty of DIY here to guide you and repair/replace your sub.
Old 07-14-13, 07:20 AM
GoIowa18
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if this is the way its supposed to be, but my sub has very weak bass. If I put my hand right in the center of my back seat, I can feel that it is working, but just not much bass. You could try this just to see if its working and maybe save yourself the time of removing the backseat until you're ready to replace the sub with something better.
Old 07-14-13, 08:03 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

open trunk, turn radio vol. up, if your sub making nose sub needs replacement or repair. you will hear the sub cracking.

Last edited by bacardi11; 07-14-13 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-14-13, 05:23 PM
Alex818
Driver

go on ebay type in lexus sc430 speaker repair kit and thats what you need
Old 07-15-13, 08:12 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NextGenLex
Hey all,

I just purchased a black 2006 SC430 with Camel leather, 73K miles. Overall, I am very happy with this car.

If I set FADE on my stereo to only use the front speakers, the sound is great - very clear and lots of bass.

If I set FADE on my stereo to only use the rear speakers, there is no bass coming out - the lows cannot be heard at all and mids are a bit more prominent than highs.

Is that expected? If not, is this a problem with my rear speakers or with my sub?
..now what you're asking is two different things. The Sc's have had an issue with the subwoofers, so it may need to be replaced/fixed. Now for the fade, if I remember correctly, it only fades the speakers inside the vehicle. So when you fade to the rear, only the 4 inch speakers play. These are used to compliment the 6x9's,mids & tweeters up front. They are only a small midrange speaker with a speaker..so thats why you don't hear them as loud, as you hear the front speakers. They are also crossed over,so certain tones/notes won't play through them and others will...hope this helps also
Old 07-17-13, 06:05 PM
NextGenLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
..now what you're asking is two different things. The Sc's have had an issue with the subwoofers, so it may need to be replaced/fixed. Now for the fade, if I remember correctly, it only fades the speakers inside the vehicle. So when you fade to the rear, only the 4 inch speakers play. These are used to compliment the 6x9's,mids & tweeters up front. They are only a small midrange speaker with a speaker..so thats why you don't hear them as loud, as you hear the front speakers. They are also crossed over,so certain tones/notes won't play through them and others will...hope this helps also
Could someone else confirm that, with FADE set all the way to the rear, you do not hear bass even with a working subwoofer?
Old 07-24-13, 08:00 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Could someone else confirm that, with FADE set all the way to the rear, you do not hear bass even with a working subwoofer?
I just confirmed with my 2007 SC430, when faded to rear speakers only, bass is non-existent, it's very tinny.

JR
Old 07-25-13, 07:18 PM
NextGenLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I just confirmed with my 2007 SC430, when faded to rear speakers only, bass is non-existent, it's very tinny.

JR
Thanks! This confirms what I was hoping for - that there might be nothing wrong with my car.

If anyone else has a different experience, please do respond to this thread.
Old 07-25-13, 10:44 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks! This confirms what I was hoping for - that there might be nothing wrong with my car.

If anyone else has a different experience, please do respond to this thread.
...sorry it's been a minute since I've been on the forum, but glad that my thought was confirmed...also in my first reply, I meant to say that the rear 4inch speaker is a midrange with a tweeter...not a speaker...lol
Old 07-27-13, 07:44 AM
430SILVER
Rookie

Thanks guys. This answers questions I had too.
Old 02-02-15, 01:33 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 912 Likes on 732 Posts

I had the interior trunk panels removed yesterday and could see the sub and amp. The rear speakers and sub all need repair and have stopped working. I placed the radio fader to the rear and connected a known working speaker to the sub speaker terminals. The amp began to drive my test speaker.

To answer your question, i heard the sub operating with the fader to full rear in a 2002 SC430.

BTW, I realize this thread is very old.
Old 07-12-15, 07:22 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Hey guys I'm going through the same problem...I've just replaced the passenger door sub with a new mark levinson speaker and overall the system sounds great and has a lot of bass response, but I have to say, I really can't tell if my rear sub is working.

If I fade speakers all the way to rear, all I can hear are the two little mid ranges on the side.... If I set it all the way to the front, the system seems to sound the same as if I set it to normal balance front to back.... I can't hear any distortion , and I can't hear anything at all coming from back there.

Does the sub in an sc430 make some noise?

I can't even find a new sub, they got for 250 used on the bay... Haha
Old 07-12-15, 08:41 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 912 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
Hey guys I'm going through the same problem...I've just replaced the passenger door sub with a new mark levinson speaker and overall the system sounds great and has a lot of bass response, but I have to say, I really can't tell if my rear sub is working.

If I fade speakers all the way to rear, all I can hear are the two little mid ranges on the side.... If I set it all the way to the front, the system seems to sound the same as if I set it to normal balance front to back.... I can't hear any distortion , and I can't hear anything at all coming from back there.

Does the sub in an sc430 make some noise?

I can't even find a new sub, they got for 250 used on the bay... Haha
I replaced my sub with this one, click on the link and start reading at post number 47. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-thread-2.html

The new sub works fine but I do wish I could adjust it for more base. I suppose I could add an amp.
Hope the info was helpful!
Old 07-12-15, 06:29 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

(Just pointing out the obvious.) If the sub is disconnected or the amp is not driving it, the sub will be quiet. However, if the sub is bad, playing music with enough bass will be distorted and will sound bad. If the lower registers are muddy or sound really distorted, your subwoofer needs to be repaired or replaced.

Mine got to sounding really bad until I finally had it replaced. It was night and day. Basically, if it is quiet, more than likely the problem is not the subwoofer itself.

Quick Reply: New SC430 owner - rear speakers have no bass