Auto Headlamp Levelling Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 12:12 PM
ser67
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto Headlamp Levelling Problems

Had 125k service this week, and it required the replacement of a side lamp bulb

When I picked up the car, the amber headlamp levelling light was lit - this requires me to take to a dealer according to the manual.

Never had this before.

I had 4 new tyres as well - would this cause a recalibration ?

Or would the replace a sidelamp job have knocked something out ?

Unfortunately this is intermittent - sometimes its fine, others it comes on as soon as I start the car up.

Any clues anyone ?

Thanks
Old 05-21-13, 01:12 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

After a front accident, I started to have this intermittent Leveling light on issue but noticed it happened only during cold weather. So far I have not been able to find the root cause and have not been able to trigger the issue (the leveling stops working).

When my light turns on (leveling light), the headlamps just go to the lowest setting (means lamps facing down). When the light goes off, the headlamps return to normal level (means will flip up). And in many occasions, the head lamps just go bananas…up-down-up-down…

Summer here so no headlamp issues…crossing fingers.
Old 05-21-13, 02:45 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Mandyfig, I think you have the lights set in "rave" mode!!!
Old 05-21-13, 03:13 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

That could be it!!
Old 05-21-13, 05:30 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

When I had my headlamp bulbs replaced the mechanic accidentally loosened the leveler device or headlight leveling motor and had to re-install it with it's rubber gasket. Attached is a PDF showing it's location on the headlamp assembly. It's probably worth checking if it's loose or not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headlamp Assembly.pdf (37.9 KB, 463 views)
Old 05-23-13, 08:50 PM
aaron0815
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
When I had my headlamp bulbs replaced the mechanic accidentally loosened the leveler device or headlight leveling motor and had to re-install it with it's rubber gasket. Attached is a PDF showing it's location on the headlamp assembly. It's probably worth checking if it's loose or not.
thanks, i'm working on my headlight also, this helps!
Old 06-11-20, 08:29 AM
82ndABN
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a high mileage 08 IS350, and am in the middle of sorting it out. Headlamps are "modified" to run worthless HID aftermarket bulbs. It is a sport package - so I "think" the original headlamps were HID, not analog filament type bulbs. My goal is to replace the crappy fogged over lens with new - but I don't "know" if I can but the Rock Auto halogen bulb units and expect a plug n play - or what. BUT- back to THIS thread, I am still feeling out the limits on this car - it is lowered, and I went around a corner at a "good clip" didn't perceive a pavement irregularity, and the right front shock bottomed out and the AFS light went on. I didn't know what it was about - so I searched here. The good news is - upon stopping. Shutting off the motor. Wait a moment (while I inspected around the wheel wells for damage - none found) upon re-start NO LIGHT. Gone. That is the good news, but I am baffled how a tire clipping the upper inner fender wall (no damage - WHY WHY WHY lower these cars??!!) So, now here I am learning more and more about AFS . . .
Old 06-11-20, 10:42 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
I have never known what the little bulb in the headlight assembly called. Now I knew, it’s called clearance light, according to the PDF. Not sure what does that mean and the function of this bulb. Anyone?
Old 06-22-20, 09:40 AM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 82ndABN
It is a sport package - so I "think" the original headlamps were HID, not analog filament type bulbs. My goal is to replace the crappy fogged over lens with new - but I don't "know" if I can but the Rock Auto halogen bulb units and expect a plug n play - or what. BUT- back to THIS thread, I am still feeling out the limits on this car - it is lowered, and I went around a corner at a "good clip" didn't perceive a pavement irregularity, and the right front shock bottomed out and the AFS light went on.
If the AFS light goes on, your car is equipped with AFS. As adaptive headlights are always HID, this is what you have!