SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 07:04 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggeroff6
Really can't tell how a RCA plug video source would look..is it CRT quality, aka 420 vert. res? How crappy is it? Granted, you're not going to be displaying HD quality with RCA cables but I thought I heard the display (NAVIKS) could lop off a bit of the picture, at least for iphone vid.
It seems crazy that this device didn't have mirroring for ipod video/tablet etc. It must have been designed bout' the same time as the SC430. I think they're out of production.
Not sure which unit you're referring to - the NAVIKS or the DVD player he used. But if you're referring to the NAVIKS device, that is still in production. I bought that for my backup camera install last month. The NAVRGB was my first choice based on the old threads here but they couldn't deliver the product - they took my money and didn't ship and never responded to my emails, voicemails (they didn't pick up the phone during business hours) and online chat was never active. After a month of getting nothing I filed a BBB complaint (unacknowledged by the company) and a chargeback for my credit card. The last got their attention and they claimed they were going to ship in another week....but couldn't explain why they didn't respond to any of my contact attempts. I decided that was weak at best and potentially just more stalling and ordered the NAVIKS - got it before the week was out and it went in easy peasy with no issues hooking into the license plate frame camera I got off Amazon. I have not installed a DVD link though so can't talk to the DVD unit availability or how it looks in operation.
Old 01-18-15, 08:52 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggeroff6
Really can't tell how a RCA plug video source would look..is it CRT quality, aka 420 vert. res? How crappy is it? Granted, you're not going to be displaying HD quality with RCA cables but I thought I heard the display (NAVIKS) could lop off a bit of the picture, at least for iphone vid.
It seems crazy that this device didn't have mirroring for ipod video/tablet etc. It must have been designed bout' the same time as the SC430. I think they're out of production.
I'm also not clear why the company which utilized the dvd nav player for video was taken off this site. Obsolescence? Did people have to give up nav in order just to play one weenie dvd?
Sorry, I'm just noticing your post. I'm not sure what specific quality it is, but it's clean and clear. I haven't played off Ipod video or tablet video so I'm not sure about it cutting any of the screen off. BUT i do know that with the ASUS player, I can change the aspect ratio (16:9, widescreem, zoom, etc). Currently, I mainly play avis, mpeg, and flv videos and they are never cropped. Full screen resolution (no black corners) with synced sound. I'm not sure what product you're referring to when you say "out of production," either. You're correct about the DVD comment though. With the ASUS player, I can choose one of hundreds of movies saved to an 750GB hard drive on the fly, while with a single DVD and that idea to have to change that disc every time i want to watch a different movie just seems like a additional headache.
Old 05-11-16, 12:14 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Just an update. My setup is still working perfectly. No problems at all. I know there are a few people who have messaged me looking for the EagleTech/Arion Bluetooth Receiver that I am using. They have been hard to find, but I did find a replacement for those that still want to add Bluetooth capability for music and phone/speakerphone integration. Naturally, you would either add a cassette adapter so you can use the 3.5mm, or go with the better quality VaisTech SL3U for a dedicated 3.5mm AUX input. In any case, this bluetooth control lets you forward and reverse the music track/playlist from your phone, as well as take & make phones calls without every having to remove the phone from your pocket or jacket. It also has a rechargeable lithium ion battery for long life (I charge mine about once every other month- usually one full charge will give me 6 hours of full playback). Another benefit, it that it's also small enough to mount easily within reach of the steering wheel and keep a clean look to the interior. Honestly, the best thing is the track remote. I don't have to pull out my phone to switch to the next track or to play the track again. I haven't tried this brand per se but seeing how mine is quite similar, I don't think this would be a waste of money.

https://www.opensky.com/mobileheads/...7&mid=74636392
Old 10-25-16, 06:19 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Uploaded some videos of my setup a while ago... thought I'd link them here....

https://vimeo.com/user54620921

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/sc430-3037080
Old 02-18-23, 10:20 PM
bubblebutt
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You are a tech genius…

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
That's all folks! Total project cost was about $450.
I followed your adventure and you certainly deserve applause. I could never even think of tackling that job and I am petrified to let someone take the car apart. I have watched some u tube videos on SC 430’s. Installing all that metal in and out around the beautiful wood. I might have missed it, do your two wood doors still open and close? (I hope this print does not stay so small and that you still visit this forum.). Your description of your work was outstanding and I see you being a tech writer some day. S
Old 02-25-23, 09:58 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bubblebutt
I followed your adventure and you certainly deserve applause. I could never even think of tackling that job and I am petrified to let someone take the car apart. I have watched some u tube videos on SC 430’s. Installing all that metal in and out around the beautiful wood. I might have missed it, do your two wood doors still open and close? (I hope this print does not stay so small and that you still visit this forum.). Your description of your work was outstanding and I see you being a tech writer some day. S
Hey there, sorry for the delay. I don't check the site often. Yes both wood doors still function. I'm currently using Grom Audio's interface device for sound, and still have my video components as above integrated via NavIKS and the Asus media player. I additionally added the NavIKS wireless screen mirroring unit which now allows me to screen mirror my phone to the Lexus OEM display wirelessly.
As for a tech writer position, I'm in Healthcare but tinkering with electronic and the SC430 has always been a hobby. This forum has been so useful for so many of my projects therefore I try to build DIYs for anyone that in interested in following suit. LMK if you have other questions.
Old 02-27-23, 09:45 AM
MyLS460
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

(Lack of response)

Last edited by MyLS460; 04-09-23 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Lack of response
Old 03-01-23, 04:36 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLS460
Hi ShawnOk, great work! Sent you a DM with a few questions - hope you can help. Thanks.
Please post the questions here, others may have the same questions but won’t see the answers.

Old 03-02-23, 02:19 AM
MyLS460
Driver

Removed due to lack of response.

Last edited by MyLS460; 04-04-23 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-08-23, 05:40 AM
MyLS460
Driver

Thank you Siddu for answering all my questions on the Naviks https://naviks.com/i-24077150-2002-2...n-control.html. Thought I'd post your PM response below - could be useful to other members. With your information, the Naviks option would NOT be for me due to (a) having to manually switch from OE to Naviks at every start, (b) Carplay signals audible only when the Lexus OE unit is in either FM mode, or a cassette tape inserted/spinning, or a CD inserted/spinning with discernable sound quality rather than a dedicated auxiliary link/channel to the Lexus OE, and finally (c) the Lexus OE navigation screen not responding as prompt.
  1. Is it easy to install? Yes, it's easy to install, I did it when I was around 1x years old, so it's not that complicated. The hardest part is to route a few wires from the trunk to the center console. I did it by running the cables behind the right side panel behind the passenger door, running it under the seat, and through the back of the center console assy. to the back of the radio. That made it really easy. No electrical work other than basic harness plugins needed to be done.
  2. Is it true that the Naviks interface required the original SC430 radio head unit to be in FM 89.5 mode for it to function? How is the sound quality if it is broadcasted/processed as FM signals? No, as long as the radio was on in any mode, sound would play. However, when CD and Tape was selected, it was much better than FM (possibly due to the FM bandwidth itself). I left a blank tape in the slot so that I didn't have to hear anything before I selected the NAVIKS input (you have to do it every time, biggest annoyance).
  3. Is there any latency after you started the engine or turned the key to Accessories? Yeah, the biggest annoyance about the system was that, whenever you start the car, it defaults to the OE system. To get NAVIKS on the screen and through the radio you have to hold the button for something like 3 seconds each time.
  4. Does the resolution of the SC navigation screen give you decent clarity? Yeah the SC screen is about as good as you would expect. But honestly, after I messed with the contrast/brightness on the screen and the NAVIKS menus individually, I got it pretty nice. here's an example of mine.
  5. What are the best/worst things about the Naviks interface that you like/dislike? Honestly, it was exactly what I wanted and needed. Biggest annoyance: you have to switch to it every time you started the car. Second biggest annoyance: it took a decent amount of effort to swipe to the next page on carplay. The touch works about as well as it possibly can. Carplay usually doesn't make you rely on swipe gestures to use it. they are possible, but it's hard to swipe to the second page since you kind of have to swipe on the bottom of the screen which doesn't register as well. i got around this by customizing my carplay homepage using the phone, and i put all my important apps on the first page.

Last edited by MyLS460; 04-09-23 at 06:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (04-08-23)
Old 04-09-23, 12:49 PM
MyLS460
Driver

Hi Bgw70, I've read through many of your comments/posts on the work you've done to your 2 SC430's. I have a 2004 SC430 @59K miles and in fantastic original condition - I'd like to keep the car as stock as possible but as you've seen from my other post, not liking the Naviks option (switching at every start and latency, sounds going through FM, cassette/CD inserted/spinning . . .) I have looked at the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX but then again, wanted to keep stock. In the end, all I care to have is to be able to blu-tooth and wired stream Spotify, Pandora, Apple/Waze maps without replacing the OE head unit or the OE navigation - do you know of any simple aftermarket options/modules I can plug and go? All else failed, might need to explore the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX again (would miss the CD option for sure). Thanks for your help.
Old 04-13-23, 02:19 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Bgw70, I've read through many of your comments/posts on the work you've done to your 2 SC430's. I have a 2004 SC430 @59K miles and in fantastic original condition - I'd like to keep the car as stock as possible but as you've seen from my other post, not liking the Naviks option (switching at every start and latency, sounds going through FM, cassette/CD inserted/spinning . . .) I have looked at the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX but then again, wanted to keep stock. In the end, all I care to have is to be able to blu-tooth and wired stream Spotify, Pandora, Apple/Waze maps without replacing the OE head unit or the OE navigation - do you know of any simple aftermarket options/modules I can plug and go? All else failed, might need to explore the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX again (would miss the CD option for sure). Thanks for your help.
hey, sorry I missed this post. I understand what you want to do but I am really only familiar with the beat sonic with Pioneer head units.
Both of my pioneer radios have a CD player…I really like the unit in my 2007, red SC430.
BTW, I know my PM box is full…thanks for reaching out 😊

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-13-23 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-13-23, 07:22 PM
MyLS460
Driver

Thank you so much Bgw70 for your response (yep, tried your PM box first ). I will peruse through your '07 work again and if any questions, hope you don't mind me reaching out again. Take care.
Old 04-14-23, 10:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you so much Bgw70 for your response (yep, tried your PM box first ). I will peruse through your '07 work again and if any questions, hope you don't mind me reaching out again. Take care.
sure, ask away…questions and answers are good for everyone.
here is the 2007 install
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...007-sc430.html
Old 04-15-23, 11:33 AM
MyLS460
Driver

Thanks again Bgw70 for your willingness to help (PM is still full ). A couple of quick follow up questions that I would love to hear from you or other members . . .
  • What does the Beat-Sonic MVA-12L ($430) do that the Metra wiring kit (supposedly would allow for the steering wheel control to work) would NOT do?
  • If I were to use the Metra wiring kit, would the OEM Nav still work?
You've inspired me to look at the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX (I think your AVH-2330NEX has been discontinued)? Thanks again.

Quick Reply: DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS