SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

No light on climate display at night

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 12:17 PM
Twisted99
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No light on climate display at night

The backlight on my wife's Nav and climate and radio do not work at night when the lights are on. During the day they work and at night if the lights are off they work. Did a search and could not find similar problems. Anyone have this happen?
Old 11-22-12, 12:20 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On the left hand side of your steering wheel there is a **** to adjust the brightness of your dash at night. If you turned the **** fully to the right (after the click), the nav will not adjust to night time mode. Turn the **** all the way to right, before it clicks and it should work.
Old 11-22-12, 01:28 PM
Twisted99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by i2fat
On the left hand side of your steering wheel there is a **** to adjust the brightness of your dash at night. If you turned the **** fully to the right (after the click), the nav will not adjust to night time mode. Turn the **** all the way to right, before it clicks and it should work.
Yeah, I checked that earlier today. No difference. Thanks.
Old 12-29-12, 08:02 AM
Twisted99
Driver School Candidate

Really need to fix this. Anyone have any idea where I can start to diagnose this?
Old 12-29-12, 08:45 PM
iyaoyas247
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have same problem in kids 04 rx330 just joined to find a clue, no luck yet
Old 12-30-12, 02:45 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Twisted99
Yeah, I checked that earlier today. No difference. Thanks.
When the lights are working are you able to adjust the brightness with the dash control or does the brightness **** just work the gauge panel cluster ? The climate control and computer information panel has a backlight in it and i dont think you can see it well when it is on in daylight. At night this panel would be obviously out. if it was dark.:If yours is out it may just be the back light has gone bad. I have seen this happen before
Old 12-30-12, 07:43 AM
Twisted99
Driver School Candidate

Turned on lights and covered sensor on dash. I can see changes in odometer and radio when I adjust ****. If I turn and click **** the climate goes full bright, but no gradual changes from all they way left up to the click.
Old 12-30-12, 10:05 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This is a strange one. The NAV has a separate brightness adjustment accessed via the DISPLAY button. I don't think it ever changes with the dash control. Climate and radio should be controlled via the dash control.

Just to clarify the symptoms, when you say, "The backlight on my wife's Nav and climate and radio do not work at night when the lights are on" you are saying:

At night, headlights on = NAV completely dark, climate and radio completely dark.
At night, headlights off = NAV, climate, and radio backlight are on
Old 01-04-13, 06:06 AM
Twisted99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
This is a strange one. The NAV has a separate brightness adjustment accessed via the DISPLAY button. I don't think it ever changes with the dash control. Climate and radio should be controlled via the dash control.

Just to clarify the symptoms, when you say, "The backlight on my wife's Nav and climate and radio do not work at night when the lights are on" you are saying:

At night, headlights on = NAV completely dark, climate and radio completely dark.
At night, headlights off = NAV, climate, and radio backlight are on
I will check again tonight. I KNOW there is no light on the radio and climate at night when the lights are on. I think the lights are on radio and climat at night with the lights OFF.
Old 01-04-13, 06:09 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

It sounds like the back light has gone bad on the display head . You can sometimes find them on ebay in the 200.00 and up range
Old 01-04-13, 07:59 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen the backlight on the gear shifter of another early 2000s Lexus go out entirely, but not (yet) on the SC430.
Old 01-04-13, 08:29 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default back light

Originally Posted by jasone36
I've seen the backlight on the gear shifter of another early 2000s Lexus go out entirely, but not (yet) on the SC430.
I believe the gear shifter is a replaceable bulb. Where the back light on the computer display panel is not replacable. I have seen the backlight on the display go bad on a 2006 sc430. I have been told when removing the computer display by pulling and wiggle it this stress can possible disturb or make useless the backlight. Friend of mine had to remove his computer display to gain access to the radio so he could install the harness for a sirius radio install. After he re- assembled everything the back light was out. Car was under warranty and the dealership replaced the digital display n/c

Problem solved
Old 01-04-13, 09:53 AM
mbk8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going from memory but I believe there is another adjustment to try. Have car in park, ignition on, move the headlamp switch to 'parking lights' and adjust the **** on the dash. It should change brightness of either climate controls or stereo. Moving the headlamp switch to 'headlights' and adjusting should change the other. May not be the issue but I remember you can turn the background lighting completely off and is an easy try.
Old 01-04-13, 10:42 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

We can repair these climate control units and any other lighting problems. Much cheaper than a $200 replacement that may have the same issues!

PM me any questions.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 01-04-13, 11:44 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default Back Light

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
We can repair these climate control units and any other lighting problems. Much cheaper than a $200 replacement that may have the same issues!

PM me any questions.
This is good to know that you can repair theses things . What other related electronics for a
lexus sc430 are you able to repair. I am sure the forum members would like to know especially that your also a sponsor..

Thanks

Buddy

Quick Reply: No light on climate display at night