SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Water in the trunk..finally solved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 12:17 PM
johnxyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This back window water leak into the trunk on the SC 430 due apparently to an inherently poorly designed gasket is about the only problem I've read about with the SC that gives me pause on buying one. I'm surprised more owners haven't mentioned this - not everyone lives in Palm Springs or Scottsdale, either.

Any real world experience on L-T damage to the interior, rust, etc. due to leaking? Really would like to pickup an '06 or newer SC430. Thanks
Old 07-06-15, 05:36 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnxyz
I'm surprised more owners haven't mentioned this - not everyone lives in Palm Springs or Scottsdale, either.
Nope. Live in CT and no leaks even with frog strangler rains.
Old 07-07-15, 05:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I've not had any leaks yet either and my car is a '02. We've had lots of rain this year.
Old 07-07-15, 07:39 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No leak on my 02' and it's parked outside since 2011 till just recently. Not only the recent rains but the Texas summer sun for last few years as well.
Old 01-15-16, 11:41 AM
duracell83
Driver School Candidate

Default 1999 Lexus ES 300 water leak in trunk

So I went to the dump today and as I opened my trunk I noticed that my trunk liner was really moldy. After getting back from the dump I removed liner to see to my horror, both left and right compartments that house jack, etc, as well as main compartment with spare tire were almost completly filled with water. I quickly removed tire and jack and all other debris. I looked for a minute and noticed there are plugs in all compartments. I removed all plugs and drained out the water. I am considering never putting the plugs back in because I can think of no reason for them to be in there, other than to keep critters out. Im guessing my next step is to redo the seals around the entire trunk, and or using some sort of sealant myself. Basically I am asking if it is okay to just leave all 4 plugs removed for the rest of the time I own my 1999 Lexus ES 300. I am also letting the liner and all other pieces of plywood that were in there out in the sun to try to the best of their ability. Thank you
Old 01-16-16, 04:03 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...if the plugs are in the bottom of the trunk, then I wouldn't think it would be an issue. The bigger issue you have is figuring out where the leak is coming from. Does the rubber molding look torn or does your car have drain tubes, like the Sc ? If so, those could possibly stopped up
Old 01-18-16, 09:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The other reason why the plugs are there are for safety (other than for draining. Fumes can get into the car through the holes. Please keep them and go search the cause of the water going into the car. Usually coming from the top? Not the bottom. Look at your gutters. Good luck.
Old 03-11-16, 09:05 AM
kjandrews
Driver School Candidate

Default 2005 sc430

Originally Posted by johnbella
Ok,,for anyone that has a sc 430, problem solved for leaking water in boot

1st of all...the rubber seal that is on lower rear window edge has an inside channel,,,when water runs along there,,such as rain,,or hose if yr testing,,u will notice an inside channel,,one person was spot on abt that bad design from lexus,,but it was desingned simply for overflow,,,
u can block that innner running section of tube,,i will load pics and show u exactly,,,simple use black silicon,if possible,,,dont over do it,,,clean all residue around it,,,after applying let it dry out properly,im talking abt both sides of rear window,,done where window seal meets up with boot seal,,if u open roof half way,,u will see what i mean,,,,the rubbet around bottom of pillars,,,on both side,,have an inner channel,,thats where u block it off with silicon,,please try it,,let me know,,i will do my best to try and install some pics,,im new to this im not too sure how to load pics here,,maybe i need some help here,,,heheheheh,,ok,,cheera and good luck,,,
u might want to reove yr rear seat completely,,it might have built up with water

I too have water in my trunk coming in from the top right corner, it seems. It would be so helpful to see a few pics on the seal modification that you mentioned.
Old 03-28-16, 04:01 AM
dommo25
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is exasperating. Not being very mechanically minded (read - not at all), I'm not really understanding the descriptions in this thread. I spent a couple of hours today analysing the situation and took pics. My leak is also on the right hand side of the trunk.

I raised the roof half way and took a close look at the parts in question.

So I get that the water that runs off the roof should eventually siphon down channels from the top corner of the rubber seals around the back window and exit at the bottom corners which drain into a tray highlighted in green ...

When I poured water into the little hole at the top corner via a funnel, it leaked via a couple of screws and also leaked out between the rubber and metal ...

Some water did exit neatly from the bottom hole and land in the drip tray, so it wasn't blocked. Is this what people mean when they say that the inner channel can't cope with the volume?

What is also happening is that water is escaping into and under the main rubber strip along the bottom of the back window. This was the last piece of the puzzle for me as it wasn't until I prodded the rubber near the middle of the car that a LOT of water flowed out and dripped into the trunk ...

Of course, I haven't fixed anything and I'm not sure I've articulated the problem any better than previous posters. I'd be interested if anyone can spot anything particular to my situation and can suggest any permanent fix. Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by dommo25:
SC430Dad (11-24-22), Touaregman (08-29-23)
Old 03-28-16, 04:10 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent photos & explanation Dommo!
The following users liked this post:
PatrickH (06-26-21)
Old 05-03-17, 10:58 AM
MarkJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noticed a little water in trunk near back window from time to time but after taking back seat out to repair bad sub-woofer I noticed the bottom of the back seat damp. Then it rained and I found a puddle of water on passenger side under the back seat. Blew out, with air, the gasket that DOMMO25 shows in his pictures. Sealed gasket with silicon up under deck inside trunk, this was where water would overflow into trunk when its supposed to run through the gasket instead. (Gasket has channels inside of it for water to flow through. If its not clogged.) If it gets a little backed up it would overflow into trunk. That stopped that leak, but found another leak running a water hose down back window. Some earlier posts showed promise stopping leak by adding weather strip from hardware store on top of current gasket around the trunk lid near window.That worked but I took it off and just installed a new OEM trunk lid weather strip I ordered from eBay for $26.
Leaks have stopped. I could finally put my seat back.
Touaregman (08-29-23)
Old 08-15-17, 12:33 PM
pp000830
Driver School Candidate

On my 2010 SC430 I took some 3M weatherstrip adhesive and reglued the very top edge of the custom molded gasket at the base of the left and right C pillars (by the trunk) This was to reduce the amount of water slipping behind the gasket when it rains reducing the contribution to overflow of the channel at the base of the window. If it continues to leak I will add nylon drain tubes under these corner gaskets leading to the wide side channels so there is a clear and open path for the water to travel. The original design allows water to drain under the lapping edge of these gaskets where they have limited draining capacity and are prone to clogging as debris builds up under them. My experience is that to try to make a gasket completely water tight on a car is nearly impossible and not long lasting. I prefer to enhance the draining capability the original designers' of the roof intended.
Andy
Old 08-23-17, 02:08 PM
tarheel49
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am convinced that most of the SC's out there have at least some leaking in the trunk. And if it is not too bad, like mine, it may never cause an issue. I found mine by accident, water was coming in where the rubber seal is glued to the rear window-passenger side in the bottom corner. I had this replace at the dealership-dry as a bone now. But something you need to keep your eye on with these cars-since there are some electronics in the trunk.
Old 08-24-17, 04:02 AM
pp000830
Driver School Candidate

Default Steped procedure to end small window side leak

With careful observation, it is clear that the gutter along the bottom of the window, hidden under the trunk lid, in conjunction with the side sections are designed so water can fill the channel and pass under the rubber side sections to drain out through the trunk side gutters left & right.
There is a design problem with this in that the metal part of the gutter is too shallow and therefore it relies on the clipped on trunk seal to provide additional depth. The problem is that eventually, the interface between the metal gutter and the rubber clipped on seal eleaks. It is interesting that many replace the seal although in my opinion it really need not be replaced.
The second problem is that dirt and debris accumulate behind the side sections reduces the free flow of water from the gutter under the window backing up the water feeding any leaks along the gutter.

My goal is to reduce the leaking to the point where it does not drip on the carpet under the trunk hinges to any great extent.
First I cleaned the gutter and behind the side sections.
I then used 3M Black trim adhesive to seal the top edge of the side pieces only to the left & right roof pliers to reduce water flow under the rubber side parts from the roof pillars.
I then pulled off the trunk seal at the bottom of the window and put a bead of sealant where it is in contact with the window metal bottom gutter.
I feel these two items will likely reduce the leaking to the point where it is not an issue.
If I find leaking to still be a problem I will add an additional strip of gasketting used for home windows under the front facing edge of the trunk lid to form a completely sealed transition from the base of the rear window to the trunk lid.
In my opinion, less is more so I am doing this in steps making sure the solution is durable and not visible on the body or in the trunk,
Touaregman (08-29-23)
Old 08-25-17, 05:48 AM
tarheel49
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trunk and Water

Something else I just learned about the trunk and water/moisture:
Weather has turned a little cooler, SC was parked outside overnight, went out to drive to work and put the top down. Since it was cooler there was dew on the roof. When I got home about 4PM, looked in the truck and the water was still on the roof panel, it did not dry after sitting in a garage here at work all day. I left the truck open for a while in the driveway to let it dry. After redoing all the seals earlier in the summer the trunk is extremely tight. So if any water gets in there it is probably going to stay.

Quick Reply: Water in the trunk..finally solved?