SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Newbie needs help...Please anyone!!!.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 09:56 AM
johnsfe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob... Can u believe we r almost to dealership in bay area and its 65 and it WON'T go silent.....ughhhhh.
Old 06-18-12, 12:59 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

There are error codes, DTCs, a Lexus dealer can pull up regarding the amp failure. There are a few threads here in the forum on how you can get to them to via the options diagnostics screens for the electronics too.
Old 06-18-12, 01:04 PM
VVTiBob

THIS THREAD post # 9 has the instructions on how to access the error codes for the stereo. You have to do a finger dance on the NAV screen to get to the options menu.
Old 06-18-12, 07:03 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

Thanks..VBob. We will go through thread if they don't find out what's wrong. We did stress the thermal issue. I have rental. They said to give them until Thurs. There were other things I asked for such as alignment and rocker panel repaint on both sides due to clearcoat peeling.

We also went by lexus and was told new ML amp would be $500 something worse case scenario.

So I will let everyone know as soon as I hear back. Thanks for support and help to all.
Old 06-21-12, 09:54 AM
johnsfe
Rookie

UPDATE: Hello everyone,

The ML amp is being replaced by dealership. I asked if it is refurbished or brand new, service mgr stated they do something like a swap out, and it's usually a new unit, but he didn't sound like he really knew. But he will find out today the date it is expected to arrive. They still have the vehicle because they are repainting rocker panels. So I am really relieved. The mgr did state he is now aware of the problem with the amps, so I hope this helps if I have an issue with the new one. I am not sure if they are trying to run through my warranty, or if they will accept the cost because I just purchased last week. But major anxiety is now gone. Worse case is $200 deductible.

Soooo...lol. One other question....I want sirius xm installed somehow because I have subscription through them from the car I traded in. Any feedback on least evasive methods of getting this done without messing up radio head wires. But an option that will give me constant signal. Or a reputable place in northern cali someone could suggest...hope this isn't against rules to ask. If so...I apologize.

Well, again, thanks for all help from the forum. When I am able, I will post pics when my permissions are granted. I really love my preloved 2005 and this forum is so valuable, especially to an uninformed female purchaser. I'm in for good. You all rock! Thanks!!!!!
Old 06-21-12, 10:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Glad to hear that it is being taken care of. Is this the dealership that you purchased the car from or the Lexus dealership? Let us know how that turns out. (BTW, it will most likely be a refurbished amp if I had to venture a guess.)
Old 06-21-12, 11:00 AM
johnsfe
Rookie

Hi Harold...it is at the dealership that I bought it from...a non lexus dealer. I think you are correct, it's prob refurbished...but I will hold them to making sure it doesn't go out or they will replace again..lol.
Old 06-23-12, 04:11 PM
Rookie

Default Hey! What Happened?

Gosh...I feel like I've been following a TV series and the season ended at a high point in the drama! What happened? On a more serious note, Johnsfe, you're in good hands with these folks!

Mike
Old 06-24-12, 02:17 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnsfe even though you purchased your 3rd party warranty at another dealer it does not mean the local lexus dealership will not honor it. Just give them a call and tell them what you have and you should be fine. I bought a 3rd party for my SC430 which was purchased at an infiniti Dealership and I get it serviced including repair work at Lexus of Tampa Bay.

I believe there is an XM module for the car, worse case you could use one of those external ones that hook up to the cig lighter and send sound into the tape deck or something but there should be a more elegant solution!
Old 06-24-12, 07:21 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

Originally Posted by 73446
Gosh...I feel like I've been following a TV series and the season ended at a high point in the drama! What happened? On a more serious note, Johnsfe, you're in good hands with these folks!

Mike
Hi Mike...LOL! The car is still at the dealership and they are awaiting the amplifier. I have been in a rental since last Monday. They are also painting the rocker panels, and fixing a few other used car nuisances I pointed out after taking home. But I will definitely update the day they call for me to come to pick up with the outcome of this soapopera .

@Robertrois....thanks for the info. I was talking to my father today and he suggested that after this initial work is done, I take it to Lexus dealer to have them give a thorough servicing. As I stated earlier, I did purchase with 80K miles. Warranty is for 5 years up to 140K miles I believe. Most importantly, it covers the roof motor.

I will also call them this week about modifying for XM. I know now not to take it to best buy, as I was previously warned. I have priced at some local vehicle audio shops that deal only with stereos, and have noticed that the wiring on the SC430's are a bit of a chore.

So the XM issue will be addressed, I will get a full servicing to make sure everything is A-OK from Lexus, and then I will come to you all again for instructions on getting my "PIE/DINNER PLATES" replaced....lol!

I really do thank everyone for your thoughts. The support has REALLY made my experience an easier one to swallow!!

I will update again this week...Keep fingers crossed for me!
Old 06-24-12, 09:25 PM
VVTiBob

The idea of a complete inspection at a Lexus dealers is a good idea. Make sure they inspect the motor mounts and suspension bushings. Both are wear points with histories of failure. Both should be covered by your warranty too.
Old 06-25-12, 06:25 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

V-Bob...I will definitely add that to my list of things I want inspected asap! Thanks for the heads up.

Any other suggestions of things to look at, please bring them on...the more informed I can be before I get there, the better.

Thanks again.....Felicia
Old 06-25-12, 07:39 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

There is a stickie at the top of our forum's home page that covers issues to look for when buying a SC430. That thread ought to give you more information than you'll need. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-28-12, 02:32 PM
johnsfe
Rookie

Talking

FINAL UPDATE...I hope.

Got my vehicle back from dealership. Here goes:

They did NOT cover AMP...said I had "Better" CNA warranty...I didn't have Best. So I was allowed to upgrade, which I did. I will be taking the matter up with General Manager when he returns from Vacay on Monday. But as of now....fiance states he will purchase from Lexus or Ebay and use install instructions on here.

The did cover the motors in both mirrors, painted rocker panels, and did wheel alignment. Did not charge deductible since this has been distressing for me.

So now, I will try to enjoy my new car this weekend. My birthday is tomorrow. I hope to post a pic or two by end of weekend so I can show off what I have.

The last items I am going to address is Pie's and XM after AMP...and that's IT! Oh, and I will be getting full tune up in the coming weeks. I already have quote from Lexus Concord and will shop around as well.

Thanks Everyone!!!! VBob, Harold, Mike....everyone!

Last edited by johnsfe; 06-28-12 at 02:33 PM. Reason: correction of word
Old 06-28-12, 05:10 PM
VVTiBob

Originally Posted by johnsfe
FINAL UPDATE...I hope.....
The last items I am going to address is Pie's and XM after AMP...and that's IT! Oh, and I will be getting full tune up in the coming weeks. I already have quote from Lexus Concord....:
Sorry about the warranty issue not covering the amp...it is a bit of a pain in the rear to get to (under the trunk garnish) but with the instruction in our forum it's a good afternoon DIY job. Would suggest two things...stop by your local autoparts store and pick up a tool (usually plastic) for removing the plastic retaining clips/fasteners and make sure he has access to a 11mm socket. You may also need a 40mm torx wrench. BTW this is a great thread with photo on how to get the trunk garnish apart: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...cs-inside.html although the thread was dealing with upgrading the tails...it gets more than half-way there..just need to pull to tonneau cover and a few more clips to get the floor covering out.

I'm curious regarding a "full tune up" what are you expecting them to do and for how much? I'm asking only because there is a whole lot you can do yourself for a lot less money...things like air and cabin filters are really DIY items which would easily save a 100 bucks all while you learn about your car. Lexus may charge you $60 for an oil change but a $25 one does the same thing. You also can read many threads on here regarding regular or synthetic oils...and the pros/cons of each...manufacturer's req is regular oil. Iridium spark plugs don't need changing until well over 100k ... But it's up to you to decide.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 06-28-12 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help...Please anyone!!!.