SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

? regarding credit card keys.. ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-12, 12:17 AM
yodawise
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ? regarding credit card keys.. ?

I was so excited when I finally moved up to the SC430 that I totally forgot about the credit card key that I had been carrying around in my wallet for 20 years and two months to the SC400 I traded in...
There didn't seem to be one with the SC430 so didn't even have 'tickler' to give it to the dealer with other keys to the SC400...so the question is:
Can the old SC400 credit card key be re tooled/rekeyed so it will work with my new wheels?
just a thought as I saw a blank credit car key is quite pricey.

1979 Honda Prelude 7/1979 - 10/1/1991 (shouldn't drive a 4 cylinder like an 8 or the engine burns out before 90K oops...!)
Old 01-28-12, 07:03 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont know for sure if the passive chip in the credit card wallet key could be re- programed with the correct code that would allow the car to start and run. using a card that was for a old lexus into the newer lexus The wallet key that comes with your new sc430 should work and that should allready be programed. The only reason to then keep that extra wallet key would be if you install a luxlink remote top remote start kit. Then you could re-program the chip in the old wallet if it would take it so that its the same code as your imobilizer looks for on your new car . If the old wallet did take the code then you could cut the wallet down in half [ horozontal ] and then you could use that to go into the hidden imobilizer box that inside has the coiled ribbon antenna that the 1/2 wallet programed chip would sit. The reason you have to cut the wallet in half is so the chip portion of the key could then fit inside the imobilzer box i mentioned . The original wallet key that came with your sc430 should still work and its key will still work in your car for emergencys.

Buddy
Old 01-28-12, 07:27 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

I haven't got the strength or the fat wallet to carry around that "credit card" key with me, but I found a way to put it to good use.
I keep the little key itself in a pouch hidden where I can get to it fairly easily. I used little velcro patches and secured the other part that has the transponder chip either in the bottom of the center console or in the glove compartment, I forget. Without the key, the transponder is not much help, and vice versa.
Thus, should I ever lose my key away from the house, I can get back into the car and get home, and I don't have to fill up my pocket (20 years??) with something I might use once a decade.
So far, the only time I had to go for the secret key was when I distractedly locked my keys inside the car at a highway rest stop somewhere in the middle of Tennessee (due to a combination of not enough coffee and too much coffee). Calling for help would have taken several hours, surely, (this was not a gas station but one of these little park-like highway stops) but I got the hidden key, opened the door, put the key back and that only took about two minutes.
I have been hiding a key on my car since the days when the ever-popular magnetic "hide-a-key" was so prevalent that (lazy) thieves would just feel under bumpers to find them. It takes a little more ingenuity in these days of plastic bumpers and hoods with inside releases, but worth the peace of mind.
Old 01-28-12, 09:59 PM
yodawise
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

...unfortunately I would have to purchase the wallet key to the SC430 as this prior one owner used vehicle did not come with one.
I suppose when I bring it in for servicing I could ask the Lexus dealer to contact the former owner [the car I know was always serviced at this same dealership] and ask that person if oops they actually still have that original wallet key hanging around somewhere.

Thanks for the info tfischer and Buddy...

In the twenty years I had that SC400 wallet credit card key in my bag I think I only used it once to make sure it actually worked...so if It can not be reprogrammed I'll keep it as a souvenier of good memories with my SC400 and spend the $ on something else.
Old 10-26-14, 04:10 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I stuck the key in one of those magentic boxes It's tucked away under the frame of the car. It will get me into the car where I've hidden the credit card transponder thing. Neither is useful without the other and it's not likely someone will find both. Be easier just to flatbed the car and steal it that way.

Jim
Old 10-26-14, 06:28 PM
Mujininzoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Be aware that those magnetic key boxes rust easily.
Old 10-26-14, 06:35 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mujininzoo
Be aware that those magnetic key boxes rust easily.
Good point. I think I'll pull it this weekend and smear it in silicone glue/caulk with just the magnets sticking out. I have it wedged in between the frame and a structural stiffening rod near the door.

If I were willing to need to crawl under the car I'd look into someplace I could tape it to a strut using Gorilla tape - then it doesn't look like it's anything but some tape on a frame piece if it shows at all. I do that on my bikes. My other thought was to run a piece of 3/8" accordion flex wiring loom somewhere reachable without crawling under. The skinny key would fit but it would look like part of the car's wiring so not likely to get a thief's attention. I haven't been under there looking for a good place yet so did the mag key box as a short-term until I can figure out where to stash it where it will stay undisturbed forever.
Old 10-26-14, 06:38 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

i bought magnetic key cases from sewel the basic box is plastic The magnet is cemented inside. Mine has not rusted at all
Old 10-27-14, 07:48 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
i bought magnetic key cases from sewel the basic box is plastic The magnet is cemented inside. Mine has not rusted at all
Any good suggestions for where to put the case so that it is not easily discovered by a thief scanning the undercarriage?
Old 10-27-14, 10:48 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Any good suggestions for where to put the case so that it is not easily discovered by a thief scanning the undercarriage?
I have the Sewell plastic box w/magnet attached on the underside of the car. Inside it I have a cut key shell with remote guts removed. It allows me to mechanically open the car door but it won't start the car.

Then I have a hidden non remote, but programmed key in the trunk under the bottom oanel near the jack and tools.

To steal my car it takes two steps. First find the one in the Sewell box attached to the underside, then open door, pop trunk and find the 2nd hidden key that will start the car.

This is a secret just between us so please don't tell anybody.

PS; I did similar hide a key with my airplanes. I duct taped a key inside the wing behind a removable inspection panel. You could not see the key with the panel removed but I knew where to stick my hand and in and retrieve the key. It saved me once on a Bahama Out Island when my keys went missing.

Last edited by FLYCT; 10-29-14 at 04:28 PM.