SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Restoring the interior of my 02

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 12:27 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 76210Guy
Something not to be overlooked is not just the cost of materials. There should also be factored in the cost of labor as well as expertise. I would no more take a can of "whatevertheheck" and spray my car seats. I have no clue, nor the inclination to have a clue about it. Time is valuable. Experience and professional results are valuable.

$450? Oh yeah. I'd be down for some of that when Alexus needs a facelift.
Hi Guy,

I'm with you. I currently pay $200 just to get my interior detailed, no renewal.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 12-01-11, 12:51 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

What I love about this forum is how wide the perspective is on how much money and time we are willing to spend to care for or upgrade our SC's.

Some would splurge on the wheels. Some on tech gadgets (LuxLink, which I still have to install, etc). Some on engine performance. Some on body kits, interior upgrades.

Then there's some of us (like me) who just likes to tinker with the SC, the mechanics of everything. Trouble shooting, mechanical upgrades to prevent failure, Spending time washing, detailing.

To each his own, our common bond though is the SC and nothing beats dropping the top.
Old 12-01-11, 12:57 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mandyfig
What I love about this forum is how wide the perspective is on how much money and time we are willing to spend to care for or upgrade our SC's.

Some would splurge on the wheels. Some on tech gadgets (LuxLink, which I still have to install, etc). Some on engine performance. Some on body kits, interior upgrades.

Then there's some of us (like me) who just likes to tinker with the SC, the mechanics of everything. Trouble shooting, mechanical upgrades to prevent failure, Spending time washing, detailing.

To each his own, our common bond though is the SC and nothing beats dropping the top.
They're convertibles??!!
Old 12-01-11, 01:19 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Sucks that Atlanta's weather has been bad. There's hope this weekend though!
Old 12-01-11, 01:32 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Looks great!

Sucks that Atlanta's weather has been bad. There's hope this weekend though!
Wow, had no idea we had another mod in GA

1sicklex
Old 12-01-11, 03:13 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

..... To each his own, our common bond though is the SC and nothing beats dropping the top.
That's the bottom line isn't it? That feeling. Every time. I've owned convertibles before, but this one does something for me <lol> (TO me?)
Old 12-01-11, 03:54 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

John-fantastic outcome! That service is priceless IMO...as I had it done twice on my 2002 red/ecru. Luckily for me I had an inside buddy at the dealer that would charge me like $50 cash for each body part. Botom seat on the driver's was the repeat offender, but I had the top part done once as well and the arm rest on DS and the middle console. Simply put-the Ecru needs regular refurbishing/maintenance. It's practically white!

Love the garage...every time I see it I go out and spend more money on mine! Love the floor and the collection! When I grow up I want to be like YOU!
Old 12-01-11, 05:32 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I forgot to get into the labor. The guy who did it was trained by Fibrenew 6 years ago in Canada and owns this franchise in the LA area. This is all he does and showed me pictures of his work including a motorcycle seat that belongs to Jay Leno. He started at 8am and finished at 5:30. He prepped the leather and used a top coat as well as regular layers. He also put a texture on it so it would look similar to the rest of the leather. I also had one gouge in the back from one of the seat belts that actually took a chunk out and now I can't even figure out where it was. I wouldn't trust myself to do a professional job and would be really ticked off if I screwed up the job. I figured I paid for his expertise. He used a compressor (portable) to spray and did all the work at my home. None the less, I too am wondering how it will turn out. His reviews however, were outstanding.

Thanks for all the comments about my garage. Being an old school shop teacher helps considerably. Started out as a woodshop teacher and ended up teaching architecture. Fun hobby on the job and off. My diecast collection started 25 years ago and keeps getting bigger and I keep making more display cases for all my additions.

John
Old 12-01-11, 05:44 PM
1100HP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great man.
Old 12-01-11, 08:41 PM
Swishh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! I didnt even know that the leather could be re-dyed. I would pay $450 for that! My saddle color is begining to lose its color a little.
Old 12-02-11, 06:40 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

John: I want to have this done on my saddle interior. Which dealer did you use in So. Cal.?
Old 12-02-11, 07:33 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Solman
IThanks for all the comments about my garage.
John, is that CARPET on the floor?
Old 12-02-11, 07:58 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

I was wondering the same thing about the floor.
Old 12-02-11, 08:09 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My garage floor is epoxy applied by a company in Orange County called "Marbleshooters" It has been down for over 10 years and has held up well. Found out about them at a home show. I have several friends who used the kits they have at home depot with poor results. They had problems with the epoxy coming up with hot tires. Turns out the trick with epoxy is the type of urethane used to top the epoxy. Marbleshooters uses a commercial grade that you can't buy on the retail market. They also came back to add a section where my water heater used to be before I went to a tankless system. I am very satisfied with the durability given the install was over 10 years ago.

The Leather was done by Fibrenew-Pasadena. They do have a website as well as being on facebook with pictures of their work.
Old 12-03-11, 01:33 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

John-can you recommend a good pizza shop and dry cleaners too by you? LOL...

Love this forum...we are all SME's in some area or another!

(SME=Subject Matter Expert)

Quick Reply: Restoring the interior of my 02