SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Considering DIY on spark plugs...anyone do it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 03:34 PM
scdroptop

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Considering DIY on spark plugs...anyone do it yet?

Read some posts on the GS forum and thought the GS4 was the same set up as our SC's but the pics that the DIY'er took looked nothing like what we have although maybe its just the layout that's different or how dirty his engine was (LOL).

Anyone DIY on plugs yet? I am considering. Too many projects to take to dealer...would rather pay for the spring lowering job which is more difficult than plugs which seem like they should be easy.
Old 01-23-10, 04:36 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I've done it on my LS430. You'd better have plenty of assorted socket extensions and even have several plug sockets to choose from. It seems that each plug requires a different combination of 1) moving or removing parts such as the air intake, mass airflow sensor, dip stick tube or even the battery and battery support shelf and then 2) some combination of 3", 6" and 9" extension plus a universal joint to get the exact reach that you need for each plug. Finally, you may find that the plug socket is either too loose on the extensions to allow you to get it back out of the deep wells that each plug is recessed into or the plug socket is too tight to the spark plug so that you have to struggle to extract the socket after you tighten the plug. All in all it's not technically difficult but plan on an hour+ if you have everything you need and you're good. Two hours or more if you find yourself short of tools or can't find them!
Old 01-23-10, 08:38 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugs are a PITA to do...I agree on having multiple extensions as some of the plugs on the driver side are stupidly impossible to get at. Plus don't take short cuts by not removing parts that are in the way. Save yourself the hassle (and a lot of time) and remove anything (that isn't welded down) that blocks your path. Taking them out is easy, putting them back in is the hard part.

BTW, I'm not financially linked to Pulstar in anyway, but I recommend you giving them a try. They cost a lot but have paid for themselves already with the ~8% decrease in gas consumption they provide.
Old 01-24-10, 03:38 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Don't Break a Plug

I don't know about a Lexus, but if you break a plug off in the hole you are in big trouble. Even on old Fords, it is easy to break off a spark plug. I have seen cases, where the hole in the block had to be re-threaded or a thread insert used.

Old 01-24-10, 04:13 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

. . . and don't forget anti-seize and a torque wrench for those aluminum heads!
Old 01-27-10, 12:41 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Front clip and engine are the same GS430/SC430. Straight swap, like others stated, have a few different extensions. No big deal to it.
Old 01-27-10, 04:07 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Read some posts on the GS forum and thought the GS4 was the same set up as our SC's but the pics that the DIY'er took looked nothing like what we have although maybe its just the layout that's different or how dirty his engine was (LOL).

Anyone DIY on plugs yet? I am considering. Too many projects to take to dealer...would rather pay for the spring lowering job which is more difficult than plugs which seem like they should be easy.
You have 100k on Ebony already ??
Old 04-05-11, 08:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 409 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Front clip and engine are the same GS430/SC430. Straight swap, like others stated, have a few different extensions. No big deal to it.
Sensei...want to believe this is a piece of cake, to change the spark plug. scdrotop and a few want to change their plugs.

Have any tips?

Have you done yours?

Thank you Sensei.
Old 04-05-11, 12:38 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced mine about a month ago. I'd have to agree it was a piece of cake. The passenger side is the hardest. You have to remove the air tube going to the throttle body and I found I had to remove the battery to get to the last plug with the limited tools I have. Three hours tops.
Old 04-05-11, 12:55 PM
mandyfig

So the battery has to be removed. Not a problem. Since you are disconnecting the battery anyway.

What do we need to re-set after the battery is back in place? Radio pre-set, memory seats, what else?
Old 04-05-11, 02:19 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

What do we need to re-set after the battery is back in place? Radio pre-set, memory seats, what else?
I reset my mirrors too.
Old 04-08-11, 09:59 AM
mandyfig

Cool. Good thing we do not have sunroof, that has to be re-set too. How about windows? You will lose the 1 click up or down I think.
Old 08-13-11, 08:41 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Rather than start a new post I thought I'd just ad my observations.
With the new fine wire (iridium, platinum, etc.) plugs now days it's hard to tell what's worn and what's not. The old style plugs were easy, the tips would look like crap. Needless to say mine looked to be dirty and time for a change (that's what I tell myself mentally!)
As folks have said before, good to have a good variety of extensions handy and universal joints.
I found that it makes things much easier to remove the electrical connector going to the coil. Rather than frustrate yourself pushing down on the clip push down a bit and use a small hook to pull up a little more to completely clear that tab holding it back. Then take a screwdriver and gently wiggle the connector backwards. Pushing with just your finger doesn't seem to release the tab completely. Remember, the key word is "gently" when it comes to plastic connectors. Very easy to crack things.
I also took this time to clean the coil from all the dust and dirt that accumulates on it and to treat the rubber seals.
The interesting thing I've found so far is that the plugs weren't as tight as I thought they'd be. And varying tightness too. Some much looser than others.
I chose to go with Denso iridium plugs. Keep things in the family since the coils are Denso's.
Hope the tips help some folks.
Old 08-15-11, 06:50 AM
mandyfig

Happen to take some pics?
Old 08-15-11, 11:51 AM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Happen to take some pics?
No, sorry, I'm not patient enough to take pics in between a job.
But rest assured it's not that hard. Just a pain due to the tight working space.