SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The Mother of All SC430 Tint Threads (merged tint discussion and pictures)

Old 08-09-17, 07:24 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
In those earlier model years for which there was no Federal limit to tint, you can do whatever your State permits.
In more current vehicles, where Federal compliance is part of the safety equipment (like brakes), the State has no authority to relax that requirement.
Trust me: if you remove your bumpers (a Federal DOT-mandated, but not a State-inspectable component) you will fail inspection..
I don't want to get into a fight, but I also don't think its good for someone to read this and think that it is correct, prompting them to remove their state legal tint.

Federal law regarding vehicle manufacturing does not preempt state law regarding vehicle operation on state roads. That just isn't how it works. The feds have absolutely no authority over the operation of vehicles -- that's a state issue. For example, when the feds wanted to impose a nationwide 55 MPH law in the 70's in response to the oil embargo, they couldn't just do that. Rather, they had to get the states to do it themselves by threatening to withhold highway funds.

In my state (Virginia) you can pass inspection without a bumper. There is no requirement to have a front or rear bumper on a vehicle under 40,000 lbs. Even a quick Google search demonstrates that other states are different and some specifically require a bumper as part of the inspection process. The states control the inspection process and what is required for legal operation, not the feds.

The bottom line is that there is no federal tint limitation that applies to the operation of vehicles on state roads, nor could there be under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution. Under the Supremacy Clause, the feds can only trump state law with respect to a certain things, like the regulation of commerce (e.g. manufacturer of vehicles sold throughout the country). The feds have absolutely no power over the operation of vehicles within the state.
Old 11-10-17, 07:42 AM
jspringato
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tint peeling off bottom of side glass

I've already taken ot back once. It keeps peeling off on the bottom rear corner. This time I parked it in the garage and didn't roll the window down for 5 days. On the 4th day I rolled it outside so it could get some sun.

Is there anything I can tell the installer so I wont have to go back?
Old 11-10-17, 11:29 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jspringato
I've already taken ot back once. It keeps peeling off on the bottom rear corner. This time I parked it in the garage and didn't roll the window down for 5 days. On the 4th day I rolled it outside so it could get some sun.

Is there anything I can tell the installer so I wont have to go back?
....I'm thinking that he is cutting the pattern too short & it's not tucked inside the rubber edge totally. The rubber is probably firm & when you roll the window down, it's catching the corner of the tint, which will cause it to peel eventually. I tinted windows about 20 yrs ago & this is usually the cause of most peeling
Old 11-13-17, 02:57 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

It is sad to say that I might have to remove thee tint on my SC as NY state now require front window to be tint free to pass annual inspection......................
Old 05-31-18, 04:02 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts
Default What % of your SC windows are tinted ?

SC Friends

I have finally decided to get my White SC windows tinted

I am in CA and I think in CA, the tint cannot be more 70%
Side window tinted and back as dark as you want.

What % do you have your SC windows tinted?
I don’t want the windows to be super dark.

post your pics and do share your experience
and what % your SC is tinted.

Need some ideas and feedbacks

Thanks everyone
Old 06-01-18, 12:48 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I would do some research to check out the law. I would be amazed if you can go as dark as you want. Also amazed if you can tint the front below the AS-1 line.

One thing to think about if you drive frequently in other states: you must be legal for that state or can be ticketed. I think its pretty rare/unheard of to get a ticket on that basis, but just like gun laws, being legal in your own state is no defense to not following another state's law.

If you want to go darker than your state normally allows, check out whether the state permits darker with medical exception. Getting the exception is as easy as just asking your optometrist to sign the form -- I can't imagine a doctor saying no to that. I spend a great deal of time in Florida, but live in Virginia. I got a medical exception that got me up to the next level in Virginia, but is still no where near what Florida allows even without a doctor's note.

You are wise to worry about going too dark as it will effect driving at night. There are some websites out there that show approximations of what the various tint levels will do.

Also consider whether you want to go ceramic tint.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 06-01-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 01:21 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

Mine is 20%. It does make the SC looks nice but it’s in violation of the law (shame on me and thousands others). The draw back is the limitation of vision at night might be a concern.

shark fin antenna installed

Last edited by GmanSC; 06-03-18 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 08:36 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

All right

getting 50% in the front and 35% in the back
this Friday at the Lexus dealer.

will post pics once completed
Old 06-03-18, 04:29 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
All right

getting 50% in the front and 35% in the back
this Friday at the Lexus dealer.

will post pics once completed
....I have 20% on the doors & 5% on rear window & quarters......another thing that makes tint look darker, is the color of your interior. If your interior is dark, then the tint will appear darker, than if you had a light colored interior
Old 04-12-23, 11:53 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Question Thoughts on tint?

Alright after burning in my black interior last year, I'm gonna finally get some tint this year. Just wondering what you guys have and thoughts on it. Front Side tint is illegal where I am but the badass I am, I'm still gonna do it. Just lighter tint so it's not as obvious. My dilemma is this, will it look weird if I had regular dark tint for the back window, then lighter tint for the side and quarter window or should I get light tint all around to be the same colour?
Old 04-13-23, 12:10 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

No it won't look weird many cars are have mild tint on the front dark on the back door glass. Recently had a car done went with 50% on the front (lightest they had) and 30% on the back I'm happy with it.

50% is mild enough to escape the attention of you know who most of the time.
Old 04-13-23, 05:56 AM
teigen
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

All my cars get tinted windows; all darker in rear/windshield (back/rear window, back door windows & windshield top strip) and lighter in front (front door windows). I always tint darker than allowed by state laws. 20% rear / 35% front / 20% windshield is my standard. Tint looks lighter if you have light interior, darker if you have dark interior.

If you are trying not to be noticed, you may want to go 35% rear, 50% front.

Our SC came with 35% tint all around, so it will stay that level.