SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Welcome to Club Lexus! SC430 owner roll call & member introduction thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 08:49 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...welcome Mr Defense......the vibration you're getting might be the transmission mount. Some members have replaced it and cured a vibration that they had, yours could be something different, but you may want to give it a try. Also on the antenna, if you're going to tear down the unit, to do a stubby, you might be able to fix the existing issue. My unit had broken & there were pieces in the unit that wouldn't come out. I tore it apart & was able to see everything inside of it, after getting all the broken plastic out, I was able to feed the new mast in
Old 05-20-18, 10:30 AM
mrdefense
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...welcome Mr Defense......the vibration you're getting might be the transmission mount. Some members have replaced it and cured a vibration that they had, yours could be something different, but you may want to give it a try. Also on the antenna, if you're going to tear down the unit, to do a stubby, you might be able to fix the existing issue. My unit had broken & there were pieces in the unit that wouldn't come out. I tore it apart & was able to see everything inside of it, after getting all the broken plastic out, I was able to feed the new mast in
Thanks Texsexlex. I changed the transmission mount last week with the engine mounts. Seemed like the best option since they had it up. Plus the OEM set of 3 was a good price off Ebay from a Lexus dealer. As for power antenna, you are correct, if I was to go that far I could open the unit and unwind it but I am leaning toward the stubby for 3 reasons. 1. I will use XM and my phone for most music. 2. If I fix it and it snaps again I may be stuck breaking it down again. 3. With the new radio the antenna is going up and staying up no matter what source I use. I still have not found a 100% solution for the stubby install, I have read lot of good threads in here but there is no one way to do it. Still researching.
Old 05-20-18, 11:20 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by mrdefense
Thanks Texsexlex. I changed the transmission mount last week with the engine mounts. Seemed like the best option since they had it up. Plus the OEM set of 3 was a good price off Ebay from a Lexus dealer. As for power antenna, you are correct, if I was to go that far I could open the unit and unwind it but I am leaning toward the stubby for 3 reasons. 1. I will use XM and my phone for most music. 2. If I fix it and it snaps again I may be stuck breaking it down again. 3. With the new radio the antenna is going up and staying up no matter what source I use. I still have not found a 100% solution for the stubby install, I have read lot of good threads in here but there is no one way to do it. Still researching.
.....please keep us posted about your vibration issue......for some reason and I'm not 100% sure, but seems there was someone with a vibration issue and it had to do with a vacuum leak. Also good luck with the antenna, I'd be interested to see what you come up with, especially if you go the "stubby" style. I've seen the previous post on this subject and there wasn't but a couple that a liked. I still listen to my radio occasionally, so I want to be able to get pretty good reception
Old 05-20-18, 11:52 AM
mrdefense
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
.....please keep us posted about your vibration issue......for some reason and I'm not 100% sure, but seems there was someone with a vibration issue and it had to do with a vacuum leak. Also good luck with the antenna, I'd be interested to see what you come up with, especially if you go the "stubby" style. I've seen the previous post on this subject and there wasn't but a couple that a liked. I still listen to my radio occasionally, so I want to be able to get pretty good reception
Sure thing, I will post any updates. I only wonder if we should be in a different thread due to this being a roll call thread?
Old 05-20-18, 12:15 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by mrdefense
Sure thing, I will post any updates. I only wonder if we should be in a different thread due to this being a roll call thread?
...yes probably so...lol....also you might do a search on motor vibrations & see what you come up with
Old 05-20-18, 03:05 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Tex, I suspect that the vacuum leak that you may be remembering is a symptom of the engine mounts going bad. The vibrations from the mounts caused the vacuum hose to either come loose or break loose.

I agree, start a new thread.
The following users liked this post:
texsexlex (05-20-18)
Old 05-27-18, 03:01 PM
rbarr4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Old Lexus SC 430

Hello, Just purchased a 2003 Red Lexus SC 430 with 85k miles in very good to excellent condition. Like most I had a few issues with the car that I am working thru but really love the vehicle overall. We wanted to upgrade the sound system to have Blu tooth, backup camera and Android Auto. Just finished installing AVH2300 Pioneer system. Had all the seats and trunk trim out to finish that install. Amazingly with the help of some You Tube videos that all went well and the new system is up and running fantastically. I used the Beats Sonic adapter kit to retain the factory NAV and the steering wheel controls. Why I want the factory nav to work is beyond me? Anyway its there and I wanted it to work. The android auto functionality gives you all the latest google maps so that is really what we will use for navigation anyway. Easy spoken commands is the way to go. We are having fun with the car and the wife loves the stereo upgrade.

Next plans are to replace these awful dinner plate wheels with something that I find more appealing.

Love the site and have already picked up some helpful hints on several threads. Thanks!
Old 05-27-18, 03:25 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new acquisition! Sounds like you went all in. You'll find all sorts of extremely useful information and helpful hints on this site, including stereo upgrades. I'm guessing that you have one of the few SC430s in your area.
Old 06-11-18, 01:44 PM
guy06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to SC430 Thread

I just purchased a 2006 LEXUS SC430 PEBBLE BEACH EDITION - Tiger Eye Pearl over Saddle Leather with 81k miles in very good condition. Everything is factory and includes Mark Levinson Audio. I purchased the car to be a daily driver so hopefully it will be dependable and not too drastically expensive to maintain.
Old 06-12-18, 03:15 AM
txsoarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guy06
I just purchased a 2006 LEXUS SC430 PEBBLE BEACH EDITION - Tiger Eye Pearl over Saddle Leather with 81k miles in very good condition. Everything is factory and includes Mark Levinson Audio. I purchased the car to be a daily driver so hopefully it will be dependable and not too drastically expensive to maintain.
Congratulations! That's an awesome find! I got my SC 430 a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. It is also my daily driver and I add roughly about 50 miles a day! I got a 2008 Lexus SC430 - Obsidian Black. Added a couple mods like a back up camera, Android Auto, remote start, remote roof and more. It's an eye turner and it's not a very common car! Enjoy and welcome to the forum!

Spoiler

Old 06-18-18, 09:52 AM
JPElvisTCB
7th Gear

Hello Forum members.
I am an new member with a 2008 SC 430
1. Black Emerald Green
2. White leather interior
3. Sirius/Xm install
4. Owned the LS 400 in the past and leased the IS 300
4. Very happy customer
Old 06-18-18, 10:18 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your acquisition.
Old 06-19-18, 10:55 AM
mazinblu
Driver School Candidate

Default Really excited about my new car

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jonathan and I live in Cleveland, OH. yes, why did I buy a convertible living in Cleveland. This is my second convertible and I have been asking myself that for years :-)

I have a (1) blue '02 w/ (2) saddle interior.

(3) I think it has a standard stereo (am/fm/tape/6 CD) but there is a kenwood amp in the trunk. I've noticed a few threads where people have mentioned sound system upgrades, so should I keep the amp? A guy at my auto shop said he wanted to buy it. I have no idea how much it is worth.

(4) no other major options or packages that I know of

(5) no mods, other than the amp

As the title says, I am glad I got this car (although I did get a speeding ticket already) and can't wait to have more summer fun

JP
Old 06-19-18, 11:24 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mazinblu
Hi Everyone,

My name is Jonathan and I live in Cleveland, OH. yes, why did I buy a convertible living in Cleveland. This is my second convertible and I have been asking myself that for years :-)

I have a (1) blue '02 w/ (2) saddle interior.

(3) I think it has a standard stereo (am/fm/tape/6 CD) but there is a kenwood amp in the trunk. I've noticed a few threads where people have mentioned sound system upgrades, so should I keep the amp? A guy at my auto shop said he wanted to buy it. I have no idea how much it is worth.

(4) no other major options or packages that I know of

(5) no mods, other than the amp

As the title says, I am glad I got this car (although I did get a speeding ticket already) and can't wait to have more summer fun

JP
congrats on the new car. I got a kick out of a wolverine living in buckeye land. Once a wolverine always a wolverine.
Old 07-09-18, 10:58 AM
NEON8L
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile My SC 430 spoiled me

I bought a one owner red 2002 SC 430 back in 2005 and I have just loved it! My son became a mechanic and my bragging about him landed him a job at the local Lexus dealer. He was the youngest tech ever sent to "Lexus School" in Atlanta. Having a Lexus can lead to some interesting directions in your life.

Elaine
2002 Red SC 430
113K miles in 2018 and still going strong!

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! SC430 owner roll call & member introduction thread