SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

WD TV - NAVTool - SLU Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 10:34 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WD TV - NAVTool - SLU Installed

Hi all a few of you were interested in my latest mod. Basically for the past year or so Ive been downloading movies/mp3s onto a Western Digital External Hard drive (portable USB powered) and playing my media via my xbox 360/ps3.

Now I was wanting this same functionality in my bedroom so I purchased the original HDMI ready WD TV at bestbuy last year and had it hooked up in my bed room. Fast forward to end of last year and I purchased an SC430.

I installed a SLU on my own (very easy) and ran one headphone jack style plug into the arm rest for my ipod and another RCA cable into the glove box in anticipation of one day adding dvd.

A member on here was selling a Navtool so I jumped on that and when it came in I took it to a local installer. They suggested I do the reverse camera (they sold me a small one that they mount above the license plate holder for 150) and the DVD player all at once since the labor would be the same. I made my appointment and went home and then realized....DVD is kind of out-dated.

I looked up and my WD TV Media player which i had only used twice since purchased was sitting there so I unplugged it and did a little bit of research. Luckily this little unit runs at 12v..same as a car. So the power wire can be spliced and run to hook up to the cig lighter or tapped into any 12v power in the car. I brought it all in and had them mount it in the glove box and run a video cable to the rear to have this hooked up the the Nav tool. the WD TV media player im using have a remote and plays almost every form of media you want. Even if you create Image files of your dvd collection it will play them without converting them into avi files. To top it you can even plug your ipod into it.

I am very happy with the minimal investment. They charged 150 as stated earlier for the camera and 2.5 hrs of labor at 70 an hr.

If someone is doing this mod I would recommend at the same time upgrading your Nav computer to a Gen4 as your already taking the carpeting out of the trunk. So its going to be pretty easy to make a quick swap. Tomorrow ill make a video/take some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails WD TV - NAVTool - SLU Installed-wdtv2011-03-10_21.34.31-1-.jpg  
Old 03-11-11, 05:05 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's awesome, thanks for the pics.

Is the WD TV remote IR (line of sight)? Or do you need to open the glove box to use the remote?

You have a switch that changes the video input of your nav screen to the WD TV, and vice versa?

Also, the Gen 4 Nav is plug and play with your 2004 SC? Just insert the disc?

I look forward to the video and more pics. This is definitely something that I would do.
Old 03-11-11, 06:22 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Btw, how do movies look on the screen? I know the screen isn't really high-def.
What files are you using to play it, I have raw .vob that I was going to use...?

Sorry for all the questions haha I think this is the best inexpensive way to mod the entertainment system.
Old 03-11-11, 07:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Pretty cool. Way cool.
Old 03-11-11, 07:52 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good.. did you also upgrade the lights in your gauge cluster(speedo) to LED looks like it from the picture?
Old 03-11-11, 07:56 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow so nice! Great job!!!!!

I'd love to add the guage cluster from a 2006+ on our 2002-2005's. The lights just look so much nicer than our....uh....(clear throat)....uh....NO LIGHTS!!!!

Still never understood why a 2003-2005 ES, GS, LS etc has illuminated dash during the day but we don't. I know I know somewhere on the design team I read that they wanted to make sure with the sunlight and the top down that the gauges could be seen, but honestly it's one of my top 3 pet peaves on our cars!!!! Would love to change this on my car.
Old 03-11-11, 07:58 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop

I'd love to add the guage cluster from a 2006+ on our 2002-2005's. The lights just look so much nicer than our....uh....(clear throat)....uh....NO LIGHTS!!!!

Still never understood why a 2003-2005 ES, GS, LS etc has illuminated dash during the day but we don't. I know I know somewhere on the design team I read that they wanted to make sure with the sunlight and the top down that the gauges could be seen, but honestly it's one of my top 3 pet peaves on our cars!!!! Would love to change this on my car.
I know on the sc300/sc400 you can take out the cluster and change the bulbs to LED which makes a big difference. I actually did this on my daily beater and it looks WAY better! I am surprised no one here has done it yet.
Old 03-11-11, 09:19 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Yea the remote only works with the glove open, however if your using the mini I would mount it under the steering wheel somewhere. Videos look good there is minimal "noise" but thats a fault of the navtool not being sheilded well enough, ive read of fixes for it but I cant really notice it. Ive been using dvd img files and avis so far. Gen 4 nav is the actual computer not a disc it will actually change your software. I havent done anything to the dash maybe the prev owner did??? After work ill add more pics and video and answer more questions.
Old 03-11-11, 10:12 AM
T8LEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking about this the other day as far as changing to LED lights on the cluster has anyone here done this?
Old 03-13-11, 07:03 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

hmm that idnt work here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgKGMFvufBI
Old 03-14-11, 06:26 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

That's awesome man, great set up and idea. You have a lot of functionality using the WD TV. This is definitely going to be my next big mod. How are you going to shield the navtool? I've heard the term 'shield', but I'm not sure how it's done. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-14-11, 09:40 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

basically the wires they used are only coated with a thin layer of plastic, so im going to try and wrap it (the wires not the box) in those plastic housings that you use when you hook up a car amp. Seems like the power cable might be causing slight noise with the RCA video cable to the screen. However like i said you cant really tell...the bars that go top to bottom on the video are not what im talking about thats just because the camera i used to record is HD and higher quality than the screen in the car.
Old 03-14-11, 09:51 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop

Now that you have mentioend it, yes the RX has illuminated cluster even during the day. It is cool. Why not the SC?
Old 03-14-11, 04:03 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job and a great way to bring some diverse content to the pre-05 SC's out there!
Old 03-14-11, 06:12 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

works on any SC

Quick Reply: WD TV - NAVTool - SLU Installed