Would you buy a 2010???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 01:05 PM
I-FORCE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you buy a 2010???

Hi guys,
I've been a lurking member since my join date and have been interested in an sc430 since it came out in 2001 but priorities haven't allowed me to pull the trigger... Up until now at least.

I have come across a 2010 at my local dealer. The car is black/ecru and only has 200kms on the clock; offered for a great deal (considering the mileage and MY). $50000 out the door.

I have been seriously considering pulling the trigger as soon as this week but have been getting second thoughts.

The SC has been out for so long and has been discontinued, many other better performing touring coupes and sports cars are out in the market and similarly priced. Is it worth going for the SC?

As I've said, I have wanted for so long but it has been so long that I'm not sure if it's worth it. I don't see many 06+ threads on the forums and aftermarket accessories are usually advertised for pre 06 models. I do not plan on keeping the car in stock form however do not intend on spending much on it either. My plans are limited to a set of lowering springs, 20" forged daytonas, an LSD unit and breather mods to slightly boost performance.

Wanted to see what you lot have to say... Is it worth it? Would you guys do it over again today if finances were available?

Btw this will not be my daily driver, the title goes to my 2010 supercharged crewman limited tundra 4x4 :d

Moe
Old 03-05-11, 01:18 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe an SC is worth it but I dont think buy the 2010 is worth it for a few reason but this was just my situaiton. I did research on here first and figured out the differences. The biggest difference between MYs before 2006 are the change from a 5sp transmission to a 6sp transmission. This to me didnt matter. Then there were some cosmetic difference but to me the only one I wanted were the LED tail lights which can be added to any SC for around 1500-1600 from sewell. So I bought a 2004 SC430 with 86XX miles on it which sat at someones vacation house. I got it for 30k which included paying off my RX300 which was upside down in value around 2k. I have added an ipod hook up via a Viastech SLU for 160 and have changed out the rims and tires. I have also upgrade my Nav to Gen 4 for about 400 bucks. So after I do my tails I have everything I wanted and my car will have features from the newer model at a very low cost (considering). But if your heart is set on having the 2010 features and you do not want to mod then by all means...Although 200km is what about 124k miles??? Sounds like alot for 50k.
Old 03-05-11, 01:31 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

In a word: Yes.
Old 03-05-11, 01:55 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

From a financial standpoint, I would consider a low mileage 2007. I looked at the resale values of these cars and there is a steep depreciation in the first three years. It starts to level off after that. There isn't enough difference between an '07 and a '10 to justify the depreciation for an garage queen. You will lose more money on a '10 then on a '07 while it sits in the garage. With the money saved, look at getting a Pebble Beach edition. If money is no object, then get a '10 and start enjoying. These cars are just plain fun to drive.
Old 03-05-11, 01:58 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

06 would have all the features (i like) with the most depreciation hit already. But yea an 07 would be about the same look for one of those @ a low mileage.
Old 03-05-11, 02:02 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I-FORCE
Hi guys,
I've been a lurking member since my join date and have been interested in an sc430 since it came out in 2001 but priorities haven't allowed me to pull the trigger... Up until now at least.

I have come across a 2010 at my local dealer. The car is black/ecru and only has 200kms on the clock; offered for a great deal (considering the mileage and MY). $50000 out the door.

I have been seriously considering pulling the trigger as soon as this week but have been getting second thoughts.

The SC has been out for so long and has been discontinued, many other better performing touring coupes and sports cars are out in the market and similarly priced. Is it worth going for the SC?

As I've said, I have wanted for so long but it has been so long that I'm not sure if it's worth it. I don't see many 06+ threads on the forums and aftermarket accessories are usually advertised for pre 06 models. I do not plan on keeping the car in stock form however do not intend on spending much on it either. My plans are limited to a set of lowering springs, 20" forged daytonas, an LSD unit and breather mods to slightly boost performance.

Wanted to see what you lot have to say... Is it worth it? Would you guys do it over again today if finances were available?

Btw this will not be my daily driver, the title goes to my 2010 supercharged crewman limited tundra 4x4 :d

Moe
Hi FORCE,

I only have this to say: AZ KATY, where are you when we need you.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-05-11, 02:06 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

If you want a collectible SC430, it would be a great one to get. Typical car gurus will tell you that the first model year and the last model year of a car are the best to buy.

Now if you are looking for a pristine 2006-2010 SC430, you can get a 2006-2007 for nearly $20k less than the one you are buying. 2010 had some nice, well overdue upgrades that can justify spending the extra cash-like the puddle lamps on the mirrors, updated stereo bezel (no tape player), different wheels and usb/ipod connectivity finally. Personally I'd rather have a rare model like the 2009 SC430 Pebble Beach for the same price with 4k miles on it (practically new), and more exclusivity:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SC-43...item2a0e960143

Having said that, you can just about add anything (except for the tapeless stereo) fairly easily to modify the SC to your liking. Many of us do that. I wouldn't worry about finding mods for this car. As the used market and price go down, a whole entire new target market for this car will be created, hence also creating a bunch of new business opportunities for aftermarket parts/tuner parts, etc.

I watched the same thing happen to my beloved RX-7's after production ran out, my 300Z and certainly my Supra.

How about a super nice pristine 2006 SC430 for $30k and an older LX470 Lexus for the snowy days in Colorado for the same price as your 2010?? One daily driver luxo-suv classic and one sunny dry day drop top classic?

Daily "beater" you can get for close to $20k:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...item5adf40b159

Nice 2006-2007's you can get for close to $30k:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...item2561d5167d

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...item230eca0a0d

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...item1c1864ad63
Old 03-05-11, 02:22 PM
rcroller
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had the money and didn't mind eating the depreciation I would have liked the 2010...but I didn't so two months ago I ended up getting a Lexus Certified Pre-Owned '07 with 34K miles on it...drove it out the door owing $31,300. That gave me most of the latest features in the newest model I could afford for the least $$$, and over the next several years I'm likely to only loose another $10-15K in depreciation. Like you, I have wanted an SC430 for years and although they had gotten a little long in the tooth by some standards, IMHO the style is timeless...classic...and classy. I don't regret getting mine a bit...to quote a great old Queen song.."I'm in Love with my Car"
Old 03-05-11, 02:26 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I'd look for an '06 or '07 in great condition for $20k less.
Old 03-05-11, 02:31 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
. . .Although 200km is what about 124k miles??? Sounds like alot for 50k.
That's 124 miles.
Old 03-05-11, 02:39 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Moe I can't help you as far as whether to buy a almost new one or one that is a couple years old. But I can tell you to "buy" one no matter what. I wanted a Vette for the longest time. When the time came I started thinking of getting a 340z instead. One of my buddies said, What the hell you doin'? You wanted one for so long and now you can, and you're not going to do it. Think again! I did, and got the Vette and kept it for a few years. I am so glad that I did when I had the chance. I don't think you will regret getting one, either newer or older. Go for it. There is no wrong answer.
Old 03-05-11, 04:00 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll say this too about used cars versus new...

Unless you are buying at the "sweet spot" of depreciation (depends on each car, year, etc) then you still are going to eat a lot of it. IMO the "sweet spot" for a SC430 is about 3-4 years old and approximately $32k. From here, you should be able to find a great clean used car with low miles still under warranty, still get good financing terms and perhaps even the leather still looks and smells new---and the car drives nice and tight.

For example: Who's to say you couldn't find a really sweet 2009 with super low miles like 10-15k miles for to mid $40's? 10% savings. One step further---what about a 3-4 year old with 25k miles cream puff for mid to upper $30k's?

Unless you are giddy about buying a 2010 (and there are certainly good reasons to be-mirrors, technology, new nav, new wheels and last year) the 2006-2007 $30k range would be a LX470 you could buy for the snow too! LOL

Counter point though: You are basically getting a brand new car with 124 miles on it and saving $16k, which is amazing!
Old 03-05-11, 04:11 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

My initial reply was totally all about, "If I had a bunch of Benjamins in the pocket and damn the price" sort of thing. That said, I bought my 2007 6 months ago yesterday. A 2007 with 17K miles on it (she now has 20K) CPO at the time I was in for $38K. I popped for an extended warranty (I know, some of you don't agree, but it makes me happy) for $1500 and the total damage was palatable.

Would I do it again? Absofreakingloutely. Personally, since I don't do my own maintenance and or repairs I am all about the CPO thing, so that's my best advice.

Old 03-05-11, 04:15 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here I am!

The 2010 is a great car...the Navigation features are great, and the voice activation works very well. I have XM in the car, and I like the way it is integrated with the stereo system ..Love the USB for my ipod.

Best of all.. it's the last year!

I bought mine brand new..and got the extended warranty taking me out a full 8 years. I plane to keep mine forever.

I agree there are not a lot of differences, but the differences are enough for me. Feel like I am missing some things though as far as the changes.

So it all depends what you need. I think $50,000 is a great price.

Katy
Old 03-05-11, 04:16 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at post #30 of this link for resale values........

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-value-2.html

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 2010???