SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rebuilt Title - How much does it impact resale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 11:42 AM
MarkRN312
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, never buy a rebuilt title. You NEVER know what really happened to it. If your going to by a used Lexus SC, do it right and know the history of that vehicle from day 1.
And a rebuilt title will dramatically reduce your resale value and demand
Old 02-03-11, 02:40 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

also if i am correct bank will not give you an auto loan for a salvage title.
Old 02-03-11, 06:21 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're a diehard diy'er and are very careful as you work into the deal I believe that you can come out way ahead with a salvage titled vehicle. You have a lot less it it so you suffer much less depreciation than buying a clean titled vehicle. You won't have any warranty so it really just can't be stressed enough that you have to know the condition of the vehicle you're purchasing as well as how to maintain it yourself or you'll get bent over by the dealer come repair time. As we all know Lexus parts and labor don't come cheap!

One thing to remember: The longer you have the car the less fear that the next buyer will have about something being wrong due to the repair/salvage process.

You can sell your salvage car way below market and confidently inform the interested buyers about the salvage title so they know what they're getting for their money. There are a lot of folks that would love to own an SC but can't come close to ponying up the cash that it takes for new or even a used Lexus with a clean title.

I love my '06 salvage SC and enjoy it even more when I'm not losing ~$5K +/- a year in depreciation. I could sell my '06 SC for the market price of an '02 and it will have only cost me ~$1.5K for each of my 2 years of ownership. I'm lovin' it.
Old 02-03-11, 07:33 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth a salvage title doesn't always mean the car it a total wreck. Our red SC is a salvage rebuilt car and it just amazes me just how easy insurance will write them off. All that was wrong with ours was front bumper cover, left front fender, hood, head light and grill. I looked over the car with a fine tooth comb and can see the rad support wasn't replaced and was bent a slight bit so it wasn't a bad accident at all but still salvage. It passed the inspection with flying colors. Alot of people are amazed when we take it to car shows and I tell them it's 9 years old and has 45k miles on it! They all think it's new! I would be very carefull though when looking at salvage as they need to be meticulously inspected, but if you can live with it you just might get into you dream ride cheaper than most others do. Our daughter got into an accident with her car in Dec. and they wrote it off. I couldn't believe it! The insurance company paid her out, let her keep the car, I found a hood ( matching color ) head light and hood latch mount for under $300.00, threw them on and you would never be able to tell it was in an accident, passed the inspection no problem! ( inspection cost more then the repair! ) So not all salvage vehicles are junk!! ( just my 2 cents )