SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
Old 12-15-14, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 10:29 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by NBLunker
After researching convertibles for months I decided on the SC - over MB, BMW and Porsche. Mainly because of reliability and comfort. I think others delivered more from a driver exhilaration perspective but non matched the ease and comfort of the sc. I purchased a 2008 two owner car with 43000 miles, had the local Lexus dealer inspect and they were impressed with its condition. With that being said after driving it four separate times my first day of owning it, it's made a loud clunking noise three different times. Mainly at low speeds after switching from reverse to forward at maybe ten miles per hour. I'm excited about the car but a little apprehensive with this noise. I'm not sure I'm posting on the right thread, but new to this site and not as intuitive as I need... thanks for any feedback.
Interesting problem. You should start a new thread and be more specific about the noise, where it might come from, front end or transmission.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club.

The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (06-25-19)
Old 06-25-19, 02:18 AM
TitanG545
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NBLunker
After researching convertibles for months I decided on the SC - over MB, BMW and Porsche. Mainly because of reliability and comfort. I think others delivered more from a driver exhilaration perspective but non matched the ease and comfort of the sc. I purchased a 2008 two owner car with 43000 miles, had the local Lexus dealer inspect and they were impressed with its condition. With that being said after driving it four separate times my first day of owning it, it's made a loud clunking noise three different times. Mainly at low speeds after switching from reverse to forward at maybe ten miles per hour. I'm excited about the car but a little apprehensive with this noise. I'm not sure I'm posting on the right thread, but new to this site and not as intuitive as I need... thanks for any feedback.
Sounds like transmission if I had to guess, but yeah start a new thread for more input.
Old 06-27-19, 08:55 AM
NBLunker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, hasn't made the noise again, if it does I'll try and figure out how to start a thread��
Old 09-23-19, 06:13 PM
2glory
Driver School Candidate

Default Buying Lexus SC 430

Spend $25K+ for low miles $22K /30K / 05/‘06

or spend $12k high mileage 135K and spend $6K to restore with shocks springs etc....

will the latter choice make the
SC drive like new?
Old 09-23-19, 06:41 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2glory
Spend $25K+ for low miles $22K /30K / 05/‘06

or spend $12k high mileage 135K and spend $6K to restore with shocks springs etc....

will the latter choice make the
SC drive like new?
If your financial situation allows, get the +06. They have many upgrades and refine features.
Old 09-23-19, 07:19 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

2Glory (BTW, great name!), we were in your situation a couple years ago. We found a higher mileage 06 for $13k as compared to $20-25k for a lower mileage one. First off, we made the decision we wanted an 06 or newer. Read about all the options upgraded on the 06 model. Our car just 2 years prior had been a Lexus Certified Used Car and we knew the history, care and the previous owners (2 of them). I inspected the car thoroughly and it was solid. I read reviews. I own a Tundra with the same basic motor. Considering it is a Toyota, their reputation has been as good as you get. I talked to SC specific mechanics and learned working on SC’s is no more difficult than any other car. All those considerations and we bought an 06 with 112k. We immediately did the timing belt and opted to chain the plugs, plug wires, water pump, upper & lower hoses and a new radiator. All that cost us less than a grand (I sourced and bought all the parts). We have been on 4 extended trips across the US the past 2 years and the car has performed flawlessly even in 110 degree heat. I will replace the shocks this winter but have questioned whether they need it or not. It still rides and handles well. I probably will and upgrade the rear sway bar at the same time.

All that to say - go for it! If it hasn’t been abused, I would not shy away from the higher mileage SC. You will love it!

Richard
Maple Valley, WA
Old 09-24-19, 12:04 PM
2glory
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RichardMor
2Glory (BTW, great name!), we were in your situation a couple years ago. We found a higher mileage 06 for $13k as compared to $20-25k for a lower mileage one. First off, we made the decision we wanted an 06 or newer. Read about all the options upgraded on the 06 model. Our car just 2 years prior had been a Lexus Certified Used Car and we knew the history, care and the previous owners (2 of them). I inspected the car thoroughly and it was solid. I read reviews. I own a Tundra with the same basic motor. Considering it is a Toyota, their reputation haos been as good as you get. I talked to SC specific mechanics and learned working on SC’s is no more
difficult than any other car. All those considerations and we bought an 06 with 112k. We immediately did the timing belt and opted to chain the plugs, plug wires, water pump, upper & lower hoses and a new radiator. All that cost us less than a grand (I sourced and bought all the parts). We have been on 4 extended trips across the US the past 2 years and the car has performed flawlessly even in 110 degree heat. I will replace the shocks this winter but have questioned whether they need it or not. It still rides and handles well. I probably will and upgrade the rear sway bar at the same time.

All that to say - go for it! If it hasn’t been abused, I would not shy away from the higher mileage SC. You will love it!

Richard
Maple Valley, WA
Thanks for you reply.

i test drove a ‘07 135K $12.5K and it drove like an old American car as it needed shocks and springs. Paint was just ok. Maybe offer $10K and paint it $5K
and spend another $5K to update the drive and stand at $20K restored.

Will a high mile SC ride new again if you change out the shocks springs and ......?
Old 01-05-20, 02:48 PM
beachbumII
Driver School Candidate

Talking Just brought the 2005 SC home from North Carolina

Can't wait to get it on the road! But my Best Girl and I decided to take her to our favorite MECHANIC first! THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR GOOD PERSPECTIVE ON TAKING CARE OF THIS JEWEL, BY THE WAY SHE HAS 98883mi. on her, but is clean as a whistle and has a CarFax 12 pages long.
Hey, how are you still enjoying your car and did you take those road trips?!

Last edited by beachbumII; 01-05-20 at 02:57 PM. Reason: left out some words
Old 01-05-20, 08:48 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

BeachbumII, I’m not sure who you were directing your question to, but in our case, we have been on two more extended trips in our 06 SC. We like visiting friends, learning about history, seeing incredible sights and maybe targeted shopping. We stay at up-scale hotels and let them take care of us. We’ve been known to stay in a place 2-3 days because the hotel exceeds expectations. We stay off of inter-state highways for the most part, visiting backroads as much as possible. 75-80% of our road time is with the top down. The SC has not skipped a beat. Ultimate reliability. We’ve flown to many parts of the world and visited many of the most celebrated destinations, but for us, these trips have been the most fun we’ve had on trips. At the core of these trips is the SC.

Richard
Maple Valley, WA
Old 03-12-20, 11:17 AM
jjefferjo
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I lived on this site and was religious about what I wanted, and found it, 3yrs ago, I bought a 2003 123K miles. Presently 153k miles
White, saddle interior pristine interior looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor
I looked at 3 cars before buying this one, it was meant to be, found 1.5 miles form my home waiting on me.
I've never looked back.
Immediately had Timing Belt Service
Replaced Head unit
Disabled TPMS
Windows tinted
New Tires, replaced leaky chrome wheels
Dropped the antenna permanently
I drive it everyday unless its raining, 20 miles RT to work and back
Took my first Road trip Austin TX to SA TX a few months, have since made that trip a few times. LOVED IT! 80-90 mph
I have since sold my back up 2001 BMW 330 Coupe for a 2014 RX 350, definitely a Lexus girl after 30 yrs in BMWs
Do your Homework, take your time and get your self a great mechanic that loves your car as much as you do. I have one!
Definitely a Automobile
The following 4 users liked this post by jjefferjo:
beachbumII (02-24-21), Harold57 (03-14-20), texsexlex (03-12-20), The Ikon (03-14-20)
Old 03-14-20, 11:40 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jjefferjo
I
Do your Homework, take your time and get your self a great mechanic that loves your car as much as you do. I have one!
Definitely a Automobile
Many thanks for the input!!! I’m still looking for the perfect condition example!!! Annnnnnd still flirting with waiting another year and grab the LC500 since the prices are dipping into insanely affordable dollars
Old 05-11-20, 04:01 PM
Oivey2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome Sticky! I found a 2006 SC430 that I'm going to look at this week. One owner. 130K miles. I had it checked out at a Lexus dealer & everything passed. Very clean & Carfax is clean too. I realized, though, that the 90K timing belt service was never done. Should I insist that the used car dealer do the service as a precondition for the sale or do you think I could get some more miles out of the car before I have to do the timing belt service. Lexus recommends 90K but I've heard from others that that isn't really necessary.
Old 05-11-20, 05:26 PM
MrIanB
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Oivey2000
Awesome Sticky! I found a 2006 SC430 that I'm going to look at this week. One owner. 130K miles. I had it checked out at a Lexus dealer & everything passed. Very clean & Carfax is clean too. I realized, though, that the 90K timing belt service was never done. Should I insist that the used car dealer do the service as a precondition for the sale or do you think I could get some more miles out of the car before I have to do the timing belt service. Lexus recommends 90K but I've heard from others that that isn't really necessary.
you can ask the dealer and see what they say. If you get the car, I would do it ASAP. It’s cheaper than a blown engine. Don’t go cheap.

Ian B
The following users liked this post:
texsexlex (05-11-20)
Old 05-11-20, 08:32 PM
bigrin
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Follow the manual and your SC430 can reach 300K easy. My mechanic (Lexus Master), advised me the change at 90K is not necessary. At 130K i'd have a good Lexus mechanic check it out.
Old 05-12-20, 08:51 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Mileage and time. If your car is ten years or older, get the TB and WP done. I did mine, as most of us do, at 60K. Better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430