SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rear Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 07:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Rear Brake Issue

I have noticed that my rear left brake caliper is biting into the rotor harder than the other three on a sudden application of the brakes. Causing the car to skew and I hear a loud thump, of what I think is the locking up of the caliper. Happened to me more than once.

I also noticed that the rotor on this left side shows more wear (where there is now a lip) than the right rear.

Anybody has experienced this? What could be causing this uneven braking?

I have to tear it down and see what and why it is doing this abnormal braking.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-16, 09:18 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps one caliper (the hard biting one) is working correctly and the other one is weak due to sticking or possibly air in the line? Could also be the master cylinder since it feeds the RH and LH sides separately.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have noticed that my rear left brake caliper is biting into the rotor harder than the other three on a sudden application of the brakes. Causing the car to skew and I hear a loud thump, of what I think is the locking up of the caliper. Happened to me more than once.

I also noticed that the rotor on this left side shows more wear (where there is now a lip) than the right rear.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by Helogadget; 08-09-16 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Looked it up
Old 08-09-16, 10:18 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

It sounds like you might have a sticking brake caliper and it does clamp and retract like it is suppose to. (It stays clamped or partially clamped) If you had work done recently it may be a just a twisted brake hose.

Here is a Scotty Kilmer You Tube Video on what else it maybe. (damaged caliper pin)
Old 08-09-16, 02:15 PM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Good video. Right to the point. I think he left one important step out. At appx. 1:59, he put grease inside the caliper. Good. But I would've inserted a wire brush in their first, in order to remove any residual corrosion, just to be safe.
Old 08-09-16, 02:57 PM
mandyfig

I will check out the video and will plan on tearing down both rears soon. Thanks.
Old 08-10-16, 11:34 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Mandy, have experienced slight difference in braking on each side of the car leading to a bit of offset when I brake hard. Since day 1 of ownership in 2008. Had never seen a lip form on any of my rotors though. Been through two sets of rotors since the original factory installed one. Less skew or offset now than before with cross drilled slotted rotors all around and Akebono ceramic pads. Skew and offset never felt serious enough for me to try to fix it. Let us know what you find ?
Old 08-12-16, 12:19 PM
mandyfig

Thanks for the feedback Sp. On moderate braking no issues. Once I slam it, I can feel the rear left bite and the rest of the car skews. And it slams. From zero bite to full on almost lock up.