SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

No Front License Plate...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-02, 07:45 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard they banned those cameras at intersections because some senator or congressman had a picture taken of him and his mistress in his car. I dont recall if anything sexual was occuring too. I think he soon lobbied to repeal the possibility of camera ticketing....

Originally posted by genearch
Actually, here in California it is the law.. one seldom enforced but with the advent of photo radar and cameras in darned near every intersection, they are starting to enforce it...

I have no plate and delayed the delivery of my car for that very reason. The dealer made a mistake and drilled the holes. I had to wait for a new car to arrive a week later.
Old 07-28-02, 09:17 AM
Robbo
Rookie

Default Re: One more thing

Originally posted by BlackSC430'nMA
I also used to have a Boxster that I leased. They had to put the front plate on. I took it off, removed the brackets and found a guy on the Porsche board who was a dentist and had made rubber plugs that contoured to the nose. When they were painted to match the car(Black) you couldn't tell.
And drilled they did-- not 2 holes but 4 holes. I ordered 2 sets of plugs from bumperplugs.com and they matched pretty nicely. if you are more than a few feet away from the car you can't even notice them at all. Here is a picture:
Attached Thumbnails No Front License Plate...-bumperplugs.jpg  
Old 12-16-02, 02:32 PM
El Jefe
Driver School Candidate

Default Front license plate

Well, it took a year, but I finally got my first ticket for not having a front plate on my SC430. Genearch and some others mentioned velcro as a temporary solution to affixing the plate long enough to get the ticket signed off, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried this method or some other approach. What works? Did the cop give you a hard time when you went to get the sign-off? And how did you remove the velcro itself from the bumper without damaging the finish--was there any residue or such or did you just leave it on?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-02, 04:23 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's that big L thing on the grill?

I think the only reason I haven't been stopped yet for not displaying my front plate is because I live 5 miles from PA which does not use front plates. There are so many PA cars around here, I guess the cops assume I'm one of them.

Actually, I really wouldn't mind mounting my front plate if only there were a decent-looking bracket to hold it. The flimsy piece of ugly plastic my dealer gave me is an embarrassment.
Old 12-16-02, 04:56 PM
Robbo
Rookie

Originally posted by 1NICESC430
What's that big L thing on the grill?
Hey-- I paid extra for that (charcoal emblems)!
Old 12-16-02, 06:21 PM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Front license plate

Originally posted by El Jefe
Well, it took a year, but I finally got my first ticket for not having a front plate on my SC430.
Well, I've had my car since June, and I recently got pulled over for 80 in a 60. I received a warning for no front license plate. When I mentioned this to the lawyer who is taking care of my ticket, he said that his advice as a lawyer was to get a front license plate on the car. He said not having a front plate gives them the excuse to pull you over for whatever they want. His example was DUI/DWI. Now I certainly don't plan on driving under the influence of anything other than fun with my SC, but he does make me reconsider the idea of putting a plate on the front.

1NICESC430 - Have you considered a clear plastic cover as a way to hold the plate on. That's what I'm considering.

Robert
Old 12-16-02, 06:40 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Robert ...

I do have a clear plastic cover on my rear .... wait a minute ... not MY rear, my SC's rear.

I also have them on both plates of my wintertime Outback. What I'm looking for, and I cannot forgive Lexus for not providing one, is a bracket that has a back that fits the contour of the car and a front that is vertical.

I suppose I can drill four holes in the front and use a clear plastic cover. I'll have to disturb my sleeping SC to see what that might look like. I'm not sure it will fit snugly against the car.
Old 12-17-02, 06:07 PM
El Jefe
Driver School Candidate

When I mentioned this to the lawyer who is taking care of my ticket, he said that his advice as a lawyer was to get a front license plate on the car. He said not having a front plate gives them the excuse to pull you over for whatever they want. His example was DUI/DWI.

Every instance I've seen of people getting busted for the plate is either from a meter maid or after being pulled over for something else. But I guess it could happen.

I'm still committed to not ruining the sight lines of that front bumper, which means I have to figure out a temporary way of putting on a plate. Has anyone actually done the velcro trick? Something else? All ideas are welcome. Thanks.
Old 12-26-02, 05:13 PM
El Jefe
Driver School Candidate

Default Front license plate solution

Is it bad form to respond to one's own post?

Anyway, I got my fix-it ticket signed off and removed the plate five minutes later. I used vecro, but attached the velcro to double-sided removable scotch tape before attaching to the SC. The plate held fine (long enough to find a police officer, at least) and the scotch tape did absolutely no damage to the SC's finish (which was my worry about the adhesive on the velcro).

Hope that helps someone else. We'll see how long it is before my next plate ticket.....