SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Runflat tire issues - please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-09, 08:12 AM
petergerst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runflat tire issues - please help

I know so many of you guys out there have switched out your runflats long ago, but please advise me on my current situation. I've struggled with the runflats for four years now - usually getting 2 or 3 bubbles a year (requiring prompt replacement at about $300 a piece plus labor). I've even gotten sort of used to this. I usually keep an extra tire around in my garage so I don't always get caught off guard having to go to the dealer since most places don't carry those bridgestone re040's. Last year I thought I'd be smart and bought a set of winter runflats Dunlop DSST for about $1000 from the dealer to try to better deal with the snow.

But here's my new currrent situation. When I switched out my summer times last week, I discovered 1 of the winter runflats kept losing air (only driven on 2 months last year). The tire center told me 1 of the winter tires had a bubble so I went back to the local Lexus dealer (the only place that carries those winter runflats to complete the set again). Only thing is, they also told me the rim was cracked. I happen to have another set of rims around for such a situation (believe me, I'm getting used to this). So the dealer put on a new winter runflat ($250 + labor) on my new rim. It's been 3 days on my new winter runflat and new rim. Everyday tire pressure goes from 38 to 20 in about 12 hours and light goes on. So back I will go to dealer on Tues when I'm off from work to try to get an answer as to why my new winter runflat tire on my new rim keeps losing air.

Do you think it's just a bad tire? bad seal? bad sensor?? my car is a green 04 sc430 with about $70K miles. honestly, i am a busy ED physician without the time to deal with my chronic tire problems here. I feel like there's apparently no way to get ahead of these runflat tire issues. not sure if I'm ready to spend another $2K on this car for a whole new set of regular tires with spare tire kit - my old friend may have to be traded in (never thought it would come to this). But back to the point at hand, what to do you think is causing my new winter runflat and new rim to keep losing air? It seems to be just that right rear tire that is having issues...
Old 12-13-09, 10:18 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a similar problem. One tire kept leaking down. They could not find the leak. Even placed the tire under water and waited for bubbles, but no apparent leak. But I knew it had to leak. Finally found the problem. The tire sensor was not torqued to the rim properly. It didn't leak when just sitting, but leaked whenever the tire spun. I guess the centrifugal force on the sensor would cause the seal to unseat. The leak was much worse at highway speeds and leaked much slower around town. I had to stop often and add air with a portable compressor kept in the trunk. Anyway, they re-torqued the sensors and the leaked stopped.
Old 12-13-09, 10:59 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Torquing the sensors is a new one to me, but makes sense. That is good information to keep in our back pockets.

It obviously isn't a dry seal since no bubbles appear in the dunk test. I agree with Poqman that it is likely the sensors. If torquing the sensors doesn't fix the problem, you can also have new seal kits put into the sensors. (When you are having a tire changed or repaired, it only costs about $5 - depending on where you go - to have done.) It is well worth the money and the preventative maintenance to do that with every tire change. It fixed my slow leaks.
Old 12-13-09, 02:49 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

A lot of folks swear by nitrogen--maybe worth a try? They say especially for cars that sit and RFT's. I am going to try on mine next time in at the dealer.
Old 12-13-09, 03:10 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

When I changed rims at the dealer last week they manages to damage one of the seals on one of the TPMS sensors. It took about 20 hours for the leak to show itself to the TPMS monitor and like Pogman's comment above, I re-inflated the tire and drove to the dealer (about 23 miles). By the time I arrived the dash waring light was on again. It took them a couple of hours but they discover the problem and now all is well.
Old 12-27-09, 08:04 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

peter,

i feel you agony. i had the same prob when I bought my car w/ the runcraps.
one tire keep losing air every week and I had to constanly pump it every other week. big hassle.

get rid of the run craps cause it'll save you time and money in the long run.
trust me on this and many others here have switched them out also.

get what you can from the dealership (if still under warranty).
after that, don't look back and go to tirerack.com to get better non runflat tires for your winter and summer driving.

you should not be in this kind of predicament when you have many more miles to enjoy this car.

good luck....martini3...

Originally Posted by petergerst
I know so many of you guys out there have switched out your runflats long ago, but please advise me on my current situation. I've struggled with the runflats for four years now - usually getting 2 or 3 bubbles a year (requiring prompt replacement at about $300 a piece plus labor). I've even gotten sort of used to this. I usually keep an extra tire around in my garage so I don't always get caught off guard having to go to the dealer since most places don't carry those bridgestone re040's. Last year I thought I'd be smart and bought a set of winter runflats Dunlop DSST for about $1000 from the dealer to try to better deal with the snow.

But here's my new currrent situation. When I switched out my summer times last week, I discovered 1 of the winter runflats kept losing air (only driven on 2 months last year). The tire center told me 1 of the winter tires had a bubble so I went back to the local Lexus dealer (the only place that carries those winter runflats to complete the set again). Only thing is, they also told me the rim was cracked. I happen to have another set of rims around for such a situation (believe me, I'm getting used to this). So the dealer put on a new winter runflat ($250 + labor) on my new rim. It's been 3 days on my new winter runflat and new rim. Everyday tire pressure goes from 38 to 20 in about 12 hours and light goes on. So back I will go to dealer on Tues when I'm off from work to try to get an answer as to why my new winter runflat tire on my new rim keeps losing air.

Do you think it's just a bad tire? bad seal? bad sensor?? my car is a green 04 sc430 with about $70K miles. honestly, i am a busy ED physician without the time to deal with my chronic tire problems here. I feel like there's apparently no way to get ahead of these runflat tire issues. not sure if I'm ready to spend another $2K on this car for a whole new set of regular tires with spare tire kit - my old friend may have to be traded in (never thought it would come to this). But back to the point at hand, what to do you think is causing my new winter runflat and new rim to keep losing air? It seems to be just that right rear tire that is having issues...