SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

paint protection film prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 05:57 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default paint protection film prices

I have been researching various ppf products as well as prices . I have found prices installed for Hood Fender mirrors , I am getting estimates from 700.00 to 800.00 None are from LEXUS dealers they are independents . Does any one have any advice to give on the product to use as well as the cost to apply. The independent companys I have spoken with are factory trained and most are reccomending a 3M film as the product they use.

It just seems very expensive. The time they quote to install is 4 to 6 hours.
The quotes cover 18" and 24" hight on fender line. 24 " costing more. My car is black which is tough to keep looking clean and I am wonderring how visible the film is once installed . I want to protect my car but I dont want it to look dull or obvious.

I would appreciate any advice or feedback.

Buddy

Buddy
Old 06-17-09, 07:23 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I got quotes on getting the clear shield done and got quite a variation in pricing. The nearby Lexus dealer quoted doing the hood and mirrors for $400 and the hood, front part of the fenders, bumpers and the mirrors for $700.

It is my understanding that once the clear shield goes on, you can't see it and you have to work really hard to find the edge. You can wax it or whatever, just like paint.
Old 06-17-09, 07:54 PM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Check this website out http://www.ultimateshield.com/photogallery.php
Lots of black cars to check. Good luck!
Old 06-17-09, 08:51 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I think clear bra is a good investment.

I have VentureShield on my SC430 and GS350. Paid $600 for the SC back in 2004 and $750 for the GS a few months ago.
Old 06-17-09, 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by talwang
I think clear bra is a good investment.

I have VentureShield on my SC430 and GS350. Paid $600 for the SC back in 2004 and $750 for the GS a few months ago.
same here, clear bra on all my cars and well worth it (especially when i detail clients' cars and see all the ugly chips on the bumpers and hoods)
Old 06-18-09, 03:30 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I highly recommend that a paint protection process be applied to any quality automobile. The process I have used for my past six cars has been the "CLEARSHIELD Paint Protection Process." Doing so has saved me from having had to repair numerous damages resulting from airborne road objects.

However, it has been costly because I had not done research before having the work done through the dealerships.

Consider the costs involved in my having had the CLEARSHIELD Paint Protection Process done on my Lexus 2007 and 2008 cars.

The paint protection on my 2007 Lexus was done through the dealership. They employed an independent shop to do the work. I was charged $1,400 by the Lexus dealership.

I took my 2008 Lexus to the very same independent shop that the Lexus dealer had employed to do the work on my 2007 Lexus. That shop charged $495 for their work on my 2008 car.

The bitter taste in my mouth I recognized was self-induced because of my stupidity in not checking prices from different sources years ago when I had the protection process done on other cars.

That said, I still strongly recommend having a paint protection process done on a quality automobile.
Old 06-18-09, 03:52 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
I got quotes on getting the clear shield done and got quite a variation in pricing. The nearby Lexus dealer quoted doing the hood and mirrors for $400 and the hood, front part of the fenders, bumpers and the mirrors for $700.

It is my understanding that once the clear shield goes on, you can't see it and you have to work really hard to find the edge. You can wax it or whatever, just like paint.
I got the same prices from my Lexus dealer, then went to an independent shop, it was $485 for the same $700 job the dealer would do. In this recession it pays to barter as most shops are hurting for business. What do you have to lose, all they can tell you is no!
Old 06-29-09, 02:15 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

mrblister, We would reccomend VentureShield Ultra. On a black car, the texture/orange peel of 3M may be more visible. Drop me a PM if you need help finding a dealer in your area.
Old 03-04-11, 09:25 PM
tonyph33r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what happens if there a dent outside the film do i have to get the whole new film replace?
Old 03-04-11, 10:27 PM
needis
Driver School Candidate

In 2006 I paid $750 for clear bra for my Rx-8. It also included ceramic tint. I was so glad I had it, after five years the front looked new. Never had to worry about getting it repainted and trying to match the color.
Old 03-05-11, 03:36 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I had a custom installation of 3M plastic on my MDX recently - front bumper, headlamps, fogs, mirrors, 20inches on the hood, matching front fenders, full rear bumper. Got it done for $1000 at an independent shop. Don't know what it cost on my SC cos I got that done 3 years ago - forgotten. But it was an independent shop too.

The SC's fender was saved from some ugly scratches when I scraped the garage door some time back. I would recommend clear bra on any car that you want to keep a long time.
Old 03-05-11, 04:06 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe i'm the only one, but to an extent i think they are a waste of money.

I had a 3M clear bra on one of my SC's front bumpers, after awhile it looked more dull then the rest of my paint and it was definetly noticeable, when I had it removed it ended up taking a couple spots of paint with it. I ended up having to have my front bumper repainted, which cost about the same as having the 3M bra installed...

It has made me wonder if people are better off taking a chance and not applying one, and if your paint is rockchipped in 3 or 4 years just have your front bumper repainted, if not your good to go..

Not saying they are worthless, but for what they cost, i will never waste my $$ on one again.
Old 03-05-11, 06:19 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aka paco
Maybe i'm the only one, but to an extent i think they are a waste of money.

I had a 3M clear bra on one of my SC's front bumpers, after awhile it looked more dull then the rest of my paint and it was definetly noticeable, when I had it removed it ended up taking a couple spots of paint with it. I ended up having to have my front bumper repainted, which cost about the same as having the 3M bra installed...

It has made me wonder if people are better off taking a chance and not applying one, and if your paint is rockchipped in 3 or 4 years just have your front bumper repainted, if not your good to go..

Not saying they are worthless, but for what they cost, i will never waste my $$ on one again.
Couldn't disagree with you more. I went 2 1/2 years without and really regretted it. I think the SC chips easily. I only do maybe 10% freeway driving and 80% is the 3 mile trip to work, rarely going over 50. That 10% driving has amassed a number of hood chips, fender, and even one on my mirror. I used Dr colorchip on all of them and put on an invisible bra. That was within 2 months, so I can't judge yet. I can only judge by what has happened in the last 2 1/2 years .

John
Old 03-05-11, 08:12 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Not worth it, it won't protect the whole car. My friend's HS250h got it from dealer and its clearly noticeable. I won't do it on my car,
Old 03-06-11, 05:18 AM
jomo3640
Driver

I had the hood bumper fenders and mirrors done for $575 by an independent
Glad I had it done, wish I would have had it done before the first couple chips

Quick Reply: paint protection film prices