SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

VSC / VSC OFF Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 06:10 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Yep, unless you have a scantool to pull the MIL error code. There are several systems associated the VSC light. Or, the MIL maybe completely isolated and something unrelated. That's why you need to check for codes... IF you have one, a scantool, many autoparts stores will do and will check it for free.
Thanks. Gonna get it checked at Autozone tomorrow. Hopefully they do it for free.
Old 10-11-11, 10:16 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Got scanned... it is a "P0051" code. I searched the forum, and came up with a bunch of stuff it could be. Seems as though many things can trigger that code?

Here's my situation:

1. TPMS light is on with all tires at proper psi.

2. Check Engine light, VSC light, and VSC OFF light all came on.

3. I did the wire trick, and followed it to the letter. But it just comes back cause the CEL.

SC runs perfect. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-11-11, 10:42 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

P0051 LEXUS - Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 2 Sensor 1
If you go to this thread, post #4 and follow the link in it, there is a diagram too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...or-issues.html

You'll never pass your next smog test if you don't fix it. The O2 sensors are used to control air/fuel ratios and the resulting emissions.
Old 10-11-11, 10:43 AM
Blast-off
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The code you are showing is a 02 sensor so i am unsure why the vsc lights are on

This relates to the P0051 bank 2 converter which is Sensor #2
Old 10-11-11, 10:51 AM
VVTiBob

Oops... the diagram did not show sensor 1 just sensor 2 in bank 2 so here's another diagram
Attached Thumbnails VSC / VSC OFF Lights-bank2-sensor-1.jpg  
Old 10-11-11, 11:40 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

OMG! You guys are amazing!!! Thank you! Can I be certain of whether its sensor 1 or sensor 2?

Is this an expensive dealer fix, as opposed to DIY? I am just worried it is a bit over my head... although I did do the gator belt change myself!
Old 10-11-11, 12:18 PM
VVTiBob

First off .... go read this: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0051
What year is your car?
You have the tools (o2 socket) and patience?

This sensor is on the exhaust manifold and, as you can see, underneath it. You should be able to find the oem part for about $130 or so, less if it was on the drivers side... Dealer will charge list price....about $191

Bank 2 Sensor 1 - Passenger side (right front) on exhaust header. Lexus # 89465-50130 / Denso OEM # 234-4630 / Denso Universal # 234-4209 / Bosch OEM # 13632 / Bosch Universal # 15733 ... you can do the leg work checking on prices..
I had the drivers side done earlier this year under extwarranty. Cost $275 at the dealer... parts, labor and loaner car. Paid ...$0

Don't forget if you do it yourself, back to the autoparts store go have reset the MIL lamp.

almost forgot....Toyota dealers work on LEXI too.... you could save money there...
Old 10-11-11, 11:31 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Blast-off
The code you are showing is a 02 sensor so i am unsure why the vsc lights are on

This relates to the P0051 bank 2 converter which is Sensor #2
I have replaced two broken O2 sensors so far, all I got was an engine light, no vsc lights.
Old 10-12-11, 04:10 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
First off .... go read this: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0051
What year is your car?
You have the tools (o2 socket) and patience?

This sensor is on the exhaust manifold and, as you can see, underneath it. You should be able to find the oem part for about $130 or so, less if it was on the drivers side... Dealer will charge list price....about $191

Bank 2 Sensor 1 - Passenger side (right front) on exhaust header. Lexus # 89465-50130 / Denso OEM # 234-4630 / Denso Universal # 234-4209 / Bosch OEM # 13632 / Bosch Universal # 15733 ... you can do the leg work checking on prices..
I had the drivers side done earlier this year under extwarranty. Cost $275 at the dealer... parts, labor and loaner car. Paid ...$0

Don't forget if you do it yourself, back to the autoparts store go have reset the MIL lamp.

almost forgot....Toyota dealers work on LEXI too.... you could save money there...
Amazing post! Thank you soo much. I have the patience and enjoy the DIY process. I don't have the tool but don't mind buying it. I laid under the SC as best as I could with my poor jack, but I don't know if its something I can do. I am debating if it might just be better to pay the dealer to do it, as it sounds like it won't be a major money saver after buying all the necessary parts/tools.

And Autozone said they couldn't/wouldn't erase the CEL.

I called a couple of Toyota dealers around, they all declined to work on the SC. Said only oil changes.
Old 11-20-11, 03:50 PM
MrsJulieK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had my vsc lights on for a while & the dealer cost too much to look at it so I found myself without help. I google my problem and I found the answer Now being a woman without mechanical/car skills someone posted a easy to follow instruction to rectify the problem: using PAPER CLIPS (WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!) as jumpers did the trick!!!!!!! I feel sooooo liberating, cause I cant stand waiting for a man to help me! so whoever did this I had to join to say I LOVE U FOR SHARING & TEACHING ME! ps my little son help turn my ignition & count while I was under doing the jumpers..........paper clips?!?! wow!
The following 2 users liked this post by MrsJulieK:
Gmoney32 (12-11-22), Trick1978 (12-13-23)
Old 11-22-11, 12:37 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Good job MrsJulieK. Also, welcome to the forum. You will find all sorts of useful information on this site also. Just use the advanced search function within the SC430 forum and you will find information specific to your car. Also check out the various stickies at the top of the forum page, there are tons of useful information within those postings.
Old 11-22-11, 06:23 PM
airmaui
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
I also have the 3 lights on but I'm throwing a P0420 code. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?
Thanks so much.
Old 11-28-11, 10:27 AM
gamagin
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thanks for all the info

If you are like me, and not a mechanic but a Lexus lover/owner anyway, what I have been doing is printing out the pages on this thread, and others, and taking them to my mechanic, who then fixes my cars (I have two lex) by reading what others are recommending and following those instructions. It has worked like a charm, particulary the vsc light on mystery. Thanks, again.
The following users liked this post:
Trick1978 (12-13-23)
Old 11-11-12, 04:19 PM
sdfaith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car to a Lexus dealership to see if my spare key could be programmed (it couldn't). When i got back in the car and started to drive off, the VSC light came on. Long story short, tried whitels' method and it worked like a charm! Thanks sooo much!!!!
Old 11-12-12, 06:15 AM
bhop
Driver School Candidate

Greetings to all....New to the forum from Texas. Perhaps the most informative automotive forum on the planet..! Thanks to Al Gore for inventing the internet so that we have the opprotunity to swap info here...!

We used to have 2 GS 300's, one of which had VCS light issues that even the dealer couldnot figure out. This may not be the answer for most of the situations listed here, but it worked for me...the gaskets on the gas caps degrade enough over time that they don't provide a complete seal. I went to AutoZone, got a new $9 gas cap, disconnected the battery and uereka...! no more VSC lights!

On another note, last week I took delivery of a 2006 SC430, black and camel with 56,000 miles on it from Sewell Lexus. One ownerCPO, serviced it's whole life at Sewell. Extended the CPO warranty 3 more years and left the milage for the extension at 100,000 as I only drive 6,000 a year or so.Part of the purchase deal was they had to remove the runflats, which were almost new, and install non-run flats. You know the rest of the story in terms of the ride difference.

I digested this forum for a couple of months before my purchase and was able to make this deal with confidence.

Thanks for all of the help..!

Last edited by bhop; 11-12-12 at 06:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Trick1978 (12-13-23)

Quick Reply: VSC / VSC OFF Lights