SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

winter tires - dunlop winter sport m3 runflat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-09, 08:22 AM
petergerst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tires - dunlop winter sport m3 runflat?

anybody out there try this tire out?
i need to figure out how i'm getting to work tomorrow - probably will by 4 of these dunlop winter sport m3 runflats later this afternoon at the dealer. either i opt for this set of new tires or get a rental. i don't have a spare tire (still original runflats on car), so i need to stay with the runflat option? any opinions out there? i'm an emergency room doctor and need some reliable tires to get through the winter
Old 01-27-09, 08:36 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by petergerst
i need to figure out how i'm getting to work tomorrow - probably will by 4 of these dunlop winter sport m3 runflats later this afternoon at the dealer. either i opt for this set of new tires or get a rental. i don't have a spare tire (still original runflats on car), so i need to stay with the runflat option? any opinions out there? i'm an emergency room doctor and need some reliable tires to get through the winter
Sounds like you should be in an AWD
Old 01-27-09, 08:51 AM
Bellex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd opt for a rental - That way the baby is safe in the garage... a cheap enterprise rental will be much less than $100 - after mount/balance/install you will probably be close to 5-600.... Maybe more at the dealer - not worth it imho
Old 01-27-09, 12:06 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petergerst
I run the non run flat M3's on my '06 SC. I am in the Boston area and for the most part they are a great tire. These are rear wheel drive cars after all, but I am a born and raised New Englander and haven't had any issues with snow. As far as the run flat version, I think they are way too hard to be a good snow alternative. Snows should be made of a soft compound so they stick even in the frigid temps we've had lately. I had one set of run flat snows and they were just awful, so I would get the rental and stay away from the run flats. This is my second SC and I ditched the run flats 2 months into the car. No spare just a ContiComfort Kit and a Dyno plug. Given your profession the rental seems to be best.
YMMV
Good luck
JTMav