SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Re-designed SC, when?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-07, 10:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 198 Likes on 133 Posts

If Lexus is really serious about playing with the big boys, especially in the longer run, & in the world-wide market, it makes ZERO sense that they would want to discontinue the SC line. They should be INCREASING their model choices, as well as variations within each model.

Even BMW is making a SL competitior now, apparently the 6 series is not considered an exact equivalent, & Audi will be adding a lot of new models as well. Lexus need a high end luxury coupe/convertible for it's line-up to be complete, the LF-A is not a substitute since it's supposed to be a supercar that more track oriented than luxury, & above the price range of all existing Lexus models.
Old 07-01-07, 11:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
If Lexus is really serious about playing with the big boys, especially in the longer run, & in the world-wide market, it makes ZERO sense that they would want to discontinue the SC line. They should be INCREASING their model choices, as well as variations within each model.

Even BMW is making a SL competitior now, apparently the 6 series is not considered an exact equivalent, & Audi will be adding a lot of new models as well. Lexus need a high end luxury coupe/convertible for it's line-up to be complete, the LF-A is not a substitute since it's supposed to be a supercar that more track oriented than luxury, & above the price range of all existing Lexus models.
with the IS convertible coming out and the lf-a being a supercar at 100+k range, it's too big of a gap for lexus to drop the sc lineup. that's pretty much my reasoning. that's why i expect the next sc (i believe there will be one) will be priced even more than the current one, probably around 70k, to fill up that segment.

the IS convertible, my guess is it will be around 50k

damn cars are so expensive these days
Old 07-01-07, 02:14 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it just doesn't make sense for the sc to be discontinued imho
We shall stay tuned.
Old 07-01-07, 08:03 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it just me or does any one really care? It seems that the non-sc guys just love to cross post their opinions of our cars here.. There are big reasons that I don't go to the 1st gen SC boards and all the IS,GS and LS boards because I really don't care about those cars and I could care less what is going on over there and I'd rather not be online for 14 hours a day.

But when the new SC comes out or the old one gets cut, I'm sure we will all know within about two days... So relax, don't like the car then don't buy it.. Die thread die....
Old 07-01-07, 10:31 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by hipendicul
Is it just me or does any one really care? It seems that the non-sc guys just love to cross post their opinions of our cars here.. There are big reasons that I don't go to the 1st gen SC boards and all the IS,GS and LS boards because I really don't care about those cars and I could care less what is going on over there and I'd rather not be online for 14 hours a day.

But when the new SC comes out or the old one gets cut, I'm sure we will all know within about two days... So relax, don't like the car then don't buy it.. Die thread die....
Somebody forgot to drink their daily dose of double shot of Foldger's crytals.
Old 03-02-08, 10:31 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-designed SC, when?

Anyone know when the all-new SC is going to be out?

Any news?
Old 03-24-08, 05:28 AM
scubamom
Driver School Candidate

I talked to the Lexus dealer and supposedly, the 430 will be made for 2009 with no major changes. Has anyone else heard this?
Old 03-24-08, 07:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing officially confirmed.

I see it being replaced by the IS coupe/convertible.

The SC will then be discontinued, or be changed into something completely different.

If the SC430 is continued for MY'09, then that means that the IS coupe/convertible will not come out until MY'10 (which will most likely replace the SC430, as the IS350 is faster, more gas efficient, less expensive, and is more performance oriented).

If that is the case, I can see the SC to be sold in very little quantities in '09 (most likely as '08 leftovers), then completely discontinued (or replaced by a new model the likes of the MB SL-Class or BMW 6-Series). The MY'10 IS coupe/convertible will then be released Spring '09.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 03-24-08 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-24-08, 08:49 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The SC has a 10 year model cycle. So nothing yet. Most likely the SC 430 will become the SC 460 just like the GS 430 becoming the GS 460. The only SC to be discontinued was the SC 300. Lexus never carried it over as an SC 350, like the GS 300 becoming the GS 350, too bad.

The IS coupe/convertible will stay within the IS range or an addition to the IS series/class/group/line-up, IS 220d (Europe), IS 250, IS 350, IS F, etc. The only IS to ever be discontinued was the IS sportcross. Too bad that didn't get carried over to the next generation.

The LF-A will be a true exotic sports car completely in its own right as an addition to the Lexus model line up...

Last edited by Trexus; 03-26-08 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-24-08, 09:17 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
that's what i thought when they announced the convertible IS. but then i saw it and it's fugly. completely different style. my guess is they'll come out with a new sc within the next 2 years.
Old 03-24-08, 06:51 PM
scubamom
Driver School Candidate

It is definitely ugly! I'll wait for the next version of 430 before buying one of those things!
Old 03-24-08, 10:13 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SC will most likely not be discontinued. The IS coupe is way too down market to even compare to the SC and the LF-A way too upmarket. With the IS coupe, there is even less of a chance of an SC300 replacement, probably just the V8 model.
Old 03-24-08, 10:23 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Nothing officially confirmed.

The SC will then be discontinued, or be changed into something completely different.

If the SC430 is continued for MY'09, then that means that the IS coupe/convertible will not come out until MY'10 (which will most likely replace the SC430, as the IS350 is faster, more gas efficient, less expensive, and is more performance oriented).

If that is the case, I can see the SC to be sold in very little quantities in '09 (most likely as '08 leftovers), then completely discontinued (or replaced by a new model the likes of the MB SL-Class or BMW 6-Series). The MY'10 IS coupe/convertible will then be released Spring '09.
I talked to the corporate guys from Lexus when they brought out the IS-Fs to the Cars and Coffee meet here in Irvine and I asked them about the replacement for the current SC. That said that at the moment, there is no replacement for the aging SCs. The closest thing would be an IS convertible coupe.
Old 03-25-08, 10:04 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt they will make a SC460 for the last two years of availability if they are available at all.

I am still thinking Spring 2011 for the next SC with whatever the LS/GS engine is at the time. Unfortunately not with the 5 liter. I still hope for the 5 liter but since they did not even given us the 460 in the last couple of years I doubt it.

I wish they gave us a longer wheel base (like the older SC) with the hard top convertible, or if the car stays shorter then at least much lighter and without the two double amputee seats in the back.
Old 03-25-08, 11:36 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermosa
...the two double amputee seats in the back.
LOL, you got that right! When people see the back seat and ask me who fits back there, I tell them "They're great for legless teenagers".

I think the backseats might...and it's a big "might"...be useful if the wife and I weren't both 6-feet fall. We keep both seats all the way back so, there's zero legroom behind us. If you were 5'2" and driving, you might be able to fit another 5'2" passenger behind you. But, more than 2 American adults? No way.

Quick Reply: Re-designed SC, when?