SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Considering an SC430, but having a tough decision...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 10:02 AM
jrj102
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Considering an SC430, but having a tough decision...

I'm buying a new car next month, and the SC430 is at the top of a very short list of possibilities. My main concern is a lack of some technology/gadgets. For reference, I'm considering a USED SC430 alongside a NEW ES350 or Infiniti G37 coupe. (Given my price range, I'd probably be looking at an '04 or '05 with ~30K mi.)

I'm definitely a gadget guy, so I must admit I *do* like gadgets for the sake of gadgets... however, there are a couple of pieces of actual functionality that I would miss. Mainly the following (in rough order of importance to me)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Ipod Connectivity (Really just an aux input is fine.)
  • Bluetooth
  • Voice-control for the NAV system
You can retrofit ipod connectivity using the visitech add-on, and the install can be relatively clean. However, I haven't seen much in the way of truly transparant/integrated bluetooth add-ons. Obviously, adaptive cruise isn't possible.

However, at a core level I *LOVE* the car... it is a perfect blend of performance and luxury, and the interior is among the most beautiful I've ever seen, even from marques like Bentley or Aston Martin. Also, I used to own an SC400 and it was a fantastic car-- extremely smooth and reliable until the day I sold it with well over 90K mi.

My questions are as follows:

For those of you who own an SC430 along with a car that HAS some of these gadgets (like, for example, a newer LS or current-gen ES or GS) do you miss them at all when you drive the SC?

For those of you who have retrofit bluetooth and/or iPod... is it possible to do so in a way that is both effective/usable AND maintains an interior that appears stock?

Thanks... I appriciate it.

--- JRJ
www.jrj.org
Old 08-20-07, 11:31 AM
paul_k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 05 SC with Gen 4 nav does have voice activation for Nav, CD and phone. Bluetooth is also fitted but a bit basic in fuctionality. My car is a March 05 (UK)

Go for it...you know you want it

Paul
Old 08-20-07, 11:44 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

JRJ,

I have a 2003 SC430 and I'm also a self-confessed gadget freak. From what I understand (and I'm SURE I'll be corrected multiple times if I'm wrong), the '05 and newer SC430's have the voice-controlled navigation system and integrated Bluetooth.

I have the Motorola IHF1000 Blutooth kit installed in mine and the installation is VERY clean. There's a tiny little 5-button controller that's attached to my center console (via double-sided tape so, no drilling required). It's mounted behind the ECT and VSC buttons. The speaker is installed up under the dash on the passenger side (not visible unless you're standing on your head) and the mic is attached to the windshield by the driver's side A-pillar.

I have the VaisTech interface for use with my Sirius receiver (installed in the ashtray). The interface for the '02-'04 ML systems gives you only straight AUX inputs (2 of them)...no options, no flexibility, just inputs. It does work but, the interface for the '05 and newer ML systems have a lot more options (an actual iPod interface that lets you use the steering wheel controls, XM and Sirius options, etc.).

If it's in your budget (wasn't in mine), the '05 has several gadget-people friendly options that the '04 and older cars don't.

Just my opinion.

-Greg
Old 08-20-07, 04:28 PM
jrj102
Rookie

The '05 is just outside my price range, but maybe I can convince my CFO (aka wife) to approve an additional budget allocation.

Habious, do you have a photo of your bluetooth install? Would it have fit inside the ashtray? (I don't smoke, so this would be ideal if it could be invisible when not in use, kind of like the nav screen and radio.)

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-07, 05:32 PM
Habious

Ask and ye shall receive.....

Here's a picture of the Bluetooth microphone on the driver's side A-pillar.

Here's a picture of the Bluetooth interface installed on the center console.

For size comparison, here's a picture of the Bluetooth interface with a U.S. quarter next to it.

Here's what my Sirius receiver looks like in the ashtray.

As for putting the Bluetooth interface into the ashtry, I'm sure it could be done; there's plenty of room in there.

Let me know if you need anything else.

-Greg

Last edited by Habious; 01-14-08 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-20-07, 10:53 PM
jrj102
Rookie

Originally Posted by Habious
Ask and ye shall receive.....
Thank you! You're right-- the bluetooth mic is practically invisible, and putting the bluetooth controls in the ashtray shouldn't be an issue at all based on these pics.

Nice of you to post the pics-- I really appreciate it.

Also a nice reminder that I *LOVE* the birds-eye maple that comes with the "Ecru" leather. Gorgeous.
Old 08-21-07, 10:47 AM
paul_k
Rookie

Cool

Have to admit maple is class...and yes the SC interior is without doubt one of the best...

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Considering an SC430, but having a tough decision...-dsc00818-copy.jpg  
Old 08-21-07, 10:57 AM
Habious

Being the owner of a black SC430 with an ecru interior, I gotta say...that's weird to look at! It looks just like my car...only wrong. Paul-k, do you know you're steering wheel is actually on the wrong side of the car?? Must be one of those crazy mods.

And I agree, I like the light-colored Maple trim over the darker woods. Really stands out! Everyone who gets into my car for the first time comments on it.

I noticed that the 2008 PB edition has a really nice two-tone leather interior but, they used the darker wood. I think I would have preferred it with the Maple and two-tone leather. But, I know others have different opinions.
Old 08-21-07, 11:06 AM
paul_k
Rookie

Paul-k, do you know you're steering wheel is actually on the wrong side of the car??
That was a major mod well worth the money...

Paul
Old 08-21-07, 11:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
Being the owner of a black SC430 with an ecru interior, I gotta say...that's weird to look at! It looks just like my car...only wrong. Paul-k, do you know you're steering wheel is actually on the wrong side of the car?? Must be one of those crazy mods.

And I agree, I like the light-colored Maple trim over the darker woods. Really stands out! Everyone who gets into my car for the first time comments on it.

I noticed that the 2008 PB edition has a really nice two-tone leather interior but, they used the darker wood. I think I would have preferred it with the Maple and two-tone leather. But, I know others have different opinions.
paul is in the UK?!
Old 08-21-07, 09:58 PM
jrj102
Rookie

Default Pulling the trigger

OK, I give up. I'm getting an SC430.

I just made a deal on a 2004 SC with 41K miles (and ~6 months left on the factory warranty.) I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon, and will post more info in a separate thread as soon as I can.

It's a dark metalic green (don't remember the name of the paint color) with the Ecru leather-- beautiful color combo. It looks and drives like a brand new car (though I will likely want to replace the run-flats at some point soon.)

I promise, there will be pictures involved.

Thanks for the advice everyone...
Old 08-22-07, 03:12 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should break it in at our upcoming Norcal SC430 meet. hehehe...