SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

firm your shft in the sc430 [ a-650-e ]

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 03:37 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I don't use ECT unless I'm racing ( and I have no reason to).
What ECT does is, it allows the gears switching at max RPM for the gear it's in before switch to next higher gear.
I do drive in S mode sometimes, however, just to enjoy the manual shifting.
It's fun.
Noooo, it most definitely does not do that. ECT Power does exactly what I described above in my post 2 posts above yours. To claim that the transmission will only shift at maximum RPM when in "ECT Power" mode is ridiculous and 100% incorrect, and all of us that have ever floored our cars between gears while still in "ETC Normal" mode know that. If you think that I'm mistaken, I implore you to find contrary evidence in an owners manual or quoted from a reputable source online.

edit: specifically pertaining to Lexus. I don't know if you're talking about how your 1985 Supra's ECT operates if it is an automatic, but I'm obviously only interested in functions relating to our Lexus vehicles.

Last edited by Mbodall; 06-19-18 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-19-18, 03:56 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Prasha
I am curious to know how many SC430 drivers use ECT mode regularly. The only time I drove with 'ECT on' was when I picked up my new car from Modesto CA to Irvine CA in 2002, not knowing why it was on....sometimes I have used lower gears manually for power boost. I need to learn how to drive my car optimally using the features and technology available.
I only usually only use ECT Power mode when I'm trying to drive 'spiritedly' around town, and want a little more pep in my car's step. The other time I use it is in traffic, and mostly on the highway. I want immediate throttle response and a quick downshift if my lane is slowing down/coming to a stop and want to be able to quickly slot right in to a small-ish hole between cars in the lane next to me that's moving quicker.
Old 06-19-18, 08:16 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 546 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
Noooo, it most definitely does not do that. ECT Power does exactly what I described above in my post 2 posts above yours. To claim that the transmission will only shift at maximum RPM when in "ECT Power" mode is ridiculous and 100% incorrect, and all of us that have ever floored our cars between gears while still in "ETC Normal" mode know that. If you think that I'm mistaken, I implore you to find contrary evidence in an owners manual or quoted from a reputable source online.

edit: specifically pertaining to Lexus. I don't know if you're talking about how your 1985 Supra's ECT operates if it is an automatic, but I'm obviously only interested in functions relating to our Lexus vehicles.
You said it yourself, item 2 in your list.
Put in ECT and floor the gas pedal, you will feel the different. Your first gear will hold up to about 4000 rpm before it shift to 2nd gear, so on and so far.
Old 06-20-18, 03:13 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Put in ECT and floor the gas pedal, you will feel the different. Your first gear will hold up to about 4000 rpm before it shift to 2nd gear, so on and so far.
Haha no. You misunderstood me.

Item 2 in my list refers to anything less than full throttle acceleration. Under all other circumstances, item 2 applies. For example, if you put the gas pedal down half way in ECT Normal, and lets say it shifts at 3,500 RPM, then you put it in ECT Power and put the gas pedal down half way, it'll shift at 3,800. Again, those RPMs are just for example sake and not accurate, but it better explains what I was referring to.

And if your car is shifting at 4,000 RPM when you floor it with the ECT switched to normal, you need to have it serviced, because I 100% guarantee that something is wrong with it. Guarantee. Either you need to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to clear the learned shift pattern in the ECU, or something else is wrong with it.

Here's some quotes from other threads regarding ECT Power vs Normal, and some of these members were also bringing their cars to drag strips and comparing their 1/4mi times to test the different modes:
**Some posts edited to removed other unrelated topics that were being discussed in their respective threads

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Normal is the fastest

ECT-Power can make the car feel faster in part throttle driving, but if you're just gonna floor it normal's better.
Originally Posted by larsdenner
The ECT button has been around on Toyotas as long as I can remember.
Full throttle upshifts are unchanged as they are always near redline.
Originally Posted by Koz
At WOT [Wide Open Throttle] it doesn't matter weather the PWR ECT is on or off but it does help if you are playing on the street.
Originally Posted by combfilter
At WOT[WIDE OPEN THROTTLE] your car is going to shift at the same point regardless of ect on or off.

And lastly, this member went all out when evaluating ECT modes and connected a laptop with performance software to his car. He accelerated using full throttle in all three different modes (Normal, Power, Snow) and found out that his IS350 actually shifted at a slightly lower RPM in Power mode than it did in Normal. The difference of 115 RPM is negligible and would only really be measurable at a drag strip, as that small margin obviously is hardly going to affect vehicle speed.

Originally Posted by Gernby
Are you guys ready for a real shocker?! It turns out that the shift points are different for each ECT mode (Snow, Normal, and PWR) when in automatic mode. However, to my extreme surprise, the mode that shifts at the highest RPM is Normal! Peak RPM in Snow mode is 6260. For Normal mode it shifts as high as 6625, and PWR mode it shift as high as 6510. It also seems to shift at a lower RPM in 1st gear than in 2nd gear for all 3 modes.

Last edited by Mbodall; 06-20-18 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 07:41 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

And lastly, this member went all out when evaluating ECT modes and connected a laptop with performance software to his car. He accelerated using full throttle in all three different modes (Normal, Power, Snow) and found out that his IS350 actually shifted at a slightly lower RPM in Power mode than it did in Normal. The difference of 115 RPM is negligible and would only really be measurable at a drag strip, as that small margin obviously is hardly going to affect vehicle speed.
Perhaps the torque/hp peak occurs a few hundred rpm below redline, so the Power mode would be taking advantage of that? I'm not familiar with the power curve for the 4.3 myself.
Old 06-20-18, 08:00 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maarp
Perhaps the torque/hp peak occurs a few hundred rpm below redline, so the Power mode would be taking advantage of that? I'm not familiar with the power curve for the 4.3 myself.
Ha, tip of the iceberg. Unfortunately, it’s not even as simple as that. If you want to get a headache, search in all models here in CL for keywords like “shift”, “peak hp”, “optimum gear”, “optimum shift rpm”. Don’t plan on getting a clearer understanding of this unless you have at least a solid 30-45 minutes to read about this lol.
Old 06-20-18, 11:19 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone recall how much fluid you need to refill when you drop the pan?
Old 06-20-18, 12:24 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hyper15125
Anyone recall how much fluid you need to refill when you drop the pan?
All of it...
Old 06-20-18, 12:27 PM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maarp
All of it...
No, not ALL of it, because ALL of it doesn’t come out smartass.
Old 06-20-18, 04:00 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 859 Likes on 690 Posts

does the owners manual provide a quantity?

it should be about the same amount when you drain the pan

Why do you ask this question?
are you trying to figure out how much fluid to purchase?

BTW, this only applies to the five speed models...you cannot adjust the pressure switch on the six speeds.

Do you have a five or six speed.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-20-18 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-20-18, 05:15 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Cheers!
Old 06-27-18, 07:32 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Hey GmanSC... did you see my post above? (#64)
Test your car again and see if it only shifts at/near redline when in ECT power... if so your TPS might be bad or your ECU might need to be reset.
Old 06-27-18, 08:23 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 546 Likes on 414 Posts

Hey GmanSC... did you see my post above? (#64)
Test your car again and see if it only shifts at/near redline when in ECT power... if so your TPS might be bad or your ECU might need to be reset.
From Item 2 of your post:

2.) causes the transmission to hold gears longer before upshifting/upshift at higher RPM than it would normally under the same amount of throttle applied.

That's all the point I want to bring up.

Yes, I read your post. I don't drive with ECT PWR so it's not a concern for me.

My transmission is working fine, thanks for the concern. Cheer !!!!

Last edited by GmanSC; 06-27-18 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 09:38 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Just to add my two cents, I was told the 2006+ have this same switch but on the opposite side of the pan. Just something I remember reading but can't confirm it from personal experience. Don't have a 2006+ to attempt.
Old 06-27-18, 10:01 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

From Item 2 of your post:

2.) causes the transmission to hold gears longer before upshifting/upshift at higher RPM than it would normally under the same amount of throttle applied.
Yes, but I also clarified my statement after you misunderstood or misinterpreted what I said:
"Item 2 in my list refers to anything less than full throttle acceleration."

And you said:

What ECT does is, it allows the gears switching at max RPM for the gear it's in before switch to next higher gear.
The point I wanted to make is that most every car (our Lexus vehicles included) built in the last few decades (which the exception of a few) is designed to and supposed to hold the current gear under full throttle acceleration until at/near redline before shifting. You suggested that your car shifts at about 4,000 RPM when you floor it, and that's somewhat worrying and would be a symptom of some kind of malfunction or misadjustment.

Yes, I read your post. I don't drive with ECT PWR so it's not a concern for me.
I don't use ECT unless I'm racing ( and I have no reason to).
So it's not that you don't ever drive using ECT Power; you use it when you're 'racing'. I'm not trying to bicker, and I believe I understand your argument that since you don't 'race' all the time, that you don't need the engine to shift at max RPM/redline... but again, the transmission forcing a shift at 4,000 RPM under wide open throttle when in ECT normal mode is definitely not within the design parameters of these engines and transmissions.

Quick Reply: firm your shft in the sc430 [ a-650-e ]