SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Spacers to Clear TT BBK with SC 18" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 01:43 PM
El Captain
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacers to Clear TT BBK with SC 18" wheels?

Any one know how Big of spacer to clear Big brake kit calipers with stock SC 18" wheels i would need? Expecialy for Supra TT Calipers?
Old 04-26-07, 03:33 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Cap,
From what I remember I think you would need a 15 mm spacer. Since the stock wheels have somewhere in the neighborhood of 45-50+ offsets.
Old 04-26-07, 08:24 PM
El Captain
Lead Lap

Can anyone confirm that, I herd rumor the i might need 20mm?
Old 04-27-07, 11:11 AM
El Captain
Lead Lap

bump,bump ,bump
Old 04-27-07, 11:34 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If your looking to get a definite answer on which spacer, I don’t think your going to get one.
Thing is, nobody I know has tried to install the TT brakes with stock SC wheels as most generally do not like the none bolt on spacers. The only real way to know is to measure the backspacing from the caliper mounting point to the front on both calipers. Measure the amount of room left on your current setup and this will give you an exact measurement on which spacer to get.
Better yet, just pick up the 20mm and bolt on the TT calipers on one side- it can be done without removing the break line-just move the stock caliper out of the way and hang from the spring using string or wire. If it fits with room,perhaps a 15 would work and return it. If not then you would need the bolt on 25mm spacer. I would not recommend a 20mm spacer anyhow-not much thread left on the lugs.

It is going to take some work on your time but this can be accomplished within 10 minutes.
Old 04-27-07, 11:48 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Pearlpower hit the nail on the head!!

Basically if you go with any spacer bigger than 5mm its suggested that you also install longer wheel studs to compensate for the spacers. 20mm might not sound like anything but as far a wheel fitment goes you will look like a FWD drag car IMO. your front tires are going to be noticeably pushed out further than your rears unless you buy spacers for the rears to make it look more uniform.
Old 04-27-07, 11:55 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You only need 15mm spacers for stock SC430 wheels to clear Supra TT Calipers.

I recommend H&R hubcentric spacers that come with longer studs.
You probably need 15mm-20mm spacers in the rear, so ur gs won't look like a drag car. lol

Last edited by talwang; 04-27-07 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-27-07, 12:14 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how safe are the spacers?
Old 04-27-07, 12:20 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
how safe are the spacers?
I've ran spacers on my car to clear my LS400 brakes... As long as you do it the right way, which is get the hub-centric spacers and longer studs then it is pretty safe. I have had the spacers on my car for about a year and I have never had a problem.. but when you cut corners and get the cheap/universal spacers is when you risk damage and injury....
Old 04-27-07, 12:25 PM
talwang

As long as you replace the stock studs with the longer one that come with H&R spacers, i think it is safe to use them.

Some ppl say spacers will lead to excessive wear on suspension parts, so it is better you buy a new set of wheel with correct fittment.
Old 04-27-07, 12:54 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also go with a 5MM spacer and do some shaving of the calipers. I tried to go with 15MM spacers on mine and it left at most 5 treads for my lugs once I had my rims on. I didn't want spacers at all for some of the reasons mentioned here so I ended up shaving probably close to 4mm's off the caliper itself using a Dremel until my rims cleared. I plan on purchasing longer studs in the future.

(There is no way to determine when you are shaving too much as I've never been able to find a definitive answer as to how thick the walls are behind the pistons but there is extra metal there. I went as far as I willing to go in how much to take off but it felt like I could have went a little farther)

Old 04-27-07, 01:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
You can also go with a 5MM spacer and do some shaving of the calipers.
oohpapi, did you use OEM SC430 wheels as being discussed here or the ones in the picture when you did this? Makes a big difference in spacer size needed
Old 04-27-07, 01:27 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
oohpapi, did you use OEM SC430 wheels as being discussed here or the ones in the picture when you did this? Makes a big difference in spacer size needed
You're right Dave

Didn't use the SC430 but I have tried them on my car before with my stock calipers when I was thinking about buying a set so I'm just using that as a reference.

I used the rims in the pic with a 15MM spacer from Pep Boys and had plenty of room to clear but it pushed my rims way outside the fender and that's when I started to research shaving some of the metal off. I'm not guaranteeing fitment at all but it makes sense that if you're going to put a 10MM spacer on, you can go with 5MM and shave the rest (as an option) I'm just letting him know you do have some room to shave but do so at your own discretion (and bravery)
Old 04-27-07, 01:33 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
You can also go with a 5MM spacer and do some shaving of the calipers.
Just be careful... god forbid that you take a little too much off a corner where you might need it, the pressures that are put on the breaks during hard breaking and maneuvering can lead to the caliper failing..... and I don't think I need to tell you guys what might happen then.
Old 04-27-07, 02:19 PM
talwang

Shaving calipers or using spacers with existing stock studs is not a good practice.

For your own safety, use spacers if and only if you can afford to have correct length of studs installed. imho.

Why you need a bbk if your wheels can't stay on the wheel hub securely? lol

Quick Reply: Spacers to Clear TT BBK with SC 18" wheels?