SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Can't match the paint!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 03:33 PM
NVcactus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't match the paint!

I have a new 2007 SC430 in Chardonnay Pearl. The dealership delivered the car without the clear bra (even though it was spec'ed and paid for with one) and I got a chip in the paint on the hood in the first week. The dealership paid to have the hood repainted. But the hood is now more of a copper color and does not match the car. The paint shop, selected by Lexus, says they have had four cars with this color come through their shop and they can't match it. Lexus local dealership (Las Vegas) doesn't care and national customer service has been ineffective in getting this resolved.
Has anyone else had problems like this?

Any suggestions on how to get Lexus to properly resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-07, 04:17 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

When i go to the dealership i never had a problem, and what it looks like that the dealership would even paint your car for free. Then that you took it without it even reciving the clear bra, and you recived the rock chip on your time.. not like lot damage. It looks to me that you didnt have to take delivery with the car w/o the bra... Any dealerhip would have taken it back.. i think that you might have just been impatient to take the car.. unfinished..

sorry if i seem a little up front but i think that you should have been on your game and you should have notcied that...
Old 01-12-07, 04:41 PM
NVcactus
Driver School Candidate

Lexus should not be selling cars that cannot be color matched after they are sold. Frankly I think this is a factory-caused problem.

Repainting the whole car is hardly an acceptable solution. I bought a new car, with a factory finish. The supervisor at the authorized paint shop made it clear to me that a repaint job does not protect the vehicle anything like a factory paint job does.

What if the chip had happened in a place that would not have been covered by a clear bra. The paint job would still not match.

Lexus dealerships should not be calling customers who just forked over BIG BUCKS, cash, and tell them their car is ready for delivery until it is really ready for delivery. The salesman actually made up a lie to try to cover his butt by claiming that he did that type of delivery because he didn't know if the financing was going through. There is no financing when the car is bought with cash. He simply was anxious to get another delivery on his record.

Lexus should stand behind their product. So far they have not.
Old 01-12-07, 06:28 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NVcactus
Lexus should not be selling cars that cannot be color matched after they are sold. Frankly I think this is a factory-caused problem.

Repainting the whole car is hardly an acceptable solution. I bought a new car, with a factory finish. The supervisor at the authorized paint shop made it clear to me that a repaint job does not protect the vehicle anything like a factory paint job does.

What if the chip had happened in a place that would not have been covered by a clear bra. The paint job would still not match.

Lexus dealerships should not be calling customers who just forked over BIG BUCKS, cash, and tell them their car is ready for delivery until it is really ready for delivery. The salesman actually made up a lie to try to cover his butt by claiming that he did that type of delivery because he didn't know if the financing was going through. There is no financing when the car is bought with cash. He simply was anxious to get another delivery on his record.

Lexus should stand behind their product. So far they have not.
This makes no sense. How did Lexus fail to stand behind their product because a third party cannot match the paint of your car? Because the dealer's paint shop cannot match the paint is not Lexus' fault. You trusted the dealer to deliver your car with a clear bra and they didn't; then, notwithstanding their failure, you took delivery of the car; and then you trusted them to repair damage that, perhaps, the presence of the clear bra might have prevented.

Based on what you've written, it seems that this now marks the second time that you are not standing up to this dealership - the first was when you didn't walk away from the deal when they failed to fulfill the agreement. It strikes me that you're lucky it was the dealer that made this repair. Since it was the dealer's paint shop that did the work, you should hold the dealer responsible for the poor result of this work.

Make an appointment with the dealership's GM and tell them that since their company undertook to make the repair to your vehicle that they also entered into an implied warranty that such repairs would be complete and to your satisfaction.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-07, 07:48 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an interesting case here. I'd escalate to the next level and do whatever it takes to get your issue resolved.

I had my kit done at an aftermarket body shop and they were able to match the kit to my Millenium Silver color.

It sounds like the shop that your Lex dealership brought your car to may or may not know how or have experience in matching the paint to your specific car color.

I'd investigate the shop that your Lex dealership sent your car to.

I wish you the best in resolving your issue.
Old 01-12-07, 09:14 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

NVcactus,

LeslieRC makes some very valid points above. Granted it is a bit too late to change the past, but it is time to really put a foot forward and get demanding.

Some things I would like to add on painting.

I have been painting (hobby) cars for many years now. I have also had cars taken in to ,"professional shops" to have repaired as well.

It is very difficult at best to get an exact paint match even on a new car, especially when it comes to painting panels made of different materials. In this case urethane, metal, and aluminum. Bumpers are notorious to get matched perfectly. Even if it matches fine now; 1 year from now could be a different story. It is that tough.
The only way to get a proper match so to speak is to blend into the panels which means the hood and fenders which a paint shop is very hesitant to do on a brand new 60k car. However, when this is done properly, the result is a nice blend with no noticeable difference in hue or color.
I have painted bumpers that matched exactly and I have painted bumpers 2 to 3 times before getting an exact match. Spray pressure, paint base mix, paint clear mix, number of coats, temperature applied, type of primer used, color of primer used, and gun distance all play a role in painting. Off on anyone of those and the result could be different each time.
Darker colors are easier to match vs lighter colors (some say vice-versa) and if that color of yours is a tri-coat.... that increases the efforts to match exponentially.

Myself, I would take the car to two reputable shops in the area, explain the situation with the shop foreman/manager and get some quotes. Get it done to your satisfaction ,pay for it ,and go after Lexus for reimbursement. This is only after you have exhausted all other means with the dealer.

Please let us know how it turns out and best of luck to you.
Lee
Old 01-13-07, 05:17 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
NVcactus,

Some things I would like to add on painting.

I have been painting (hobby) cars for many years now. I have also had cars taken in to ,"professional shops" to have repaired as well.

It is very difficult at best to get an exact paint match even on a new car, especially when it comes to painting panels made of different materials. In this case urethane, metal, and aluminum. Bumpers are notorious to get matched perfectly. Even if it matches fine now; 1 year from now could be a different story. It is that tough.
The only way to get a proper match so to speak is to blend into the panels which means the hood and fenders which a paint shop is very hesitant to do on a brand new 60k car. However, when this is done properly, the result is a nice blend with no noticeable difference in hue or color.
I have painted bumpers that matched exactly and I have painted bumpers 2 to 3 times before getting an exact match. Spray pressure, paint base mix, paint clear mix, number of coats, temperature applied, type of primer used, color of primer used, and gun distance all play a role in painting. Off on anyone of those and the result could be different each time.
Darker colors are easier to match vs lighter colors (some say vice-versa) and if that color of yours is a tri-coat.... that increases the efforts to match exponentially.

Myself, I would take the car to two reputable shops in the area, explain the situation with the shop foreman/manager and get some quotes. Get it done to your satisfaction ,pay for it ,and go after Lexus for reimbursement. This is only after you have exhausted all other means with the dealer.

Please let us know how it turns out and best of luck to you.
Lee
Well said!

Lee's explanation reminded me of a nightmarish experience I had with my then-new `90 pearl-white, Audi 200S. As I drove that car off the showroom floor my salesman warned me that the paint was hard to match. An ominous warning! Two months later the car was vandalised when someone tried to break into the trunk. The repair seemed fine until about a year later when I noticed that the colour of my trunk lid seemed "brownish" in comparison to the rest of my car.

One thing I know about the "pearl" finish is that it is a multi-step painting process. So, Lee's advice about finding a reputable shop in your area is well taken. Also, adopt the mantra that the job is not done until you're satisfied!

Good luck!
Old 01-13-07, 01:05 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

sir, just wondering how many times did the lexus dealership try to paint the car, and how many times did they re-apply the clear bra?
Old 01-13-07, 01:27 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

This is precisely why I bought a black GS .. I hope it all works out for you, keep us posted
Old 01-13-07, 01:44 PM
NVcactus
Driver School Candidate

Ay-nako: I assume you work in the service dept at the dealership. It matters not how many clear bra reapplies were done - the net result is not acceptable.

Others: Thanks for the suggestions, encouragement, paint process background info, etc. This whole process has been a nightmare. I will let you know the outcome.
Old 01-13-07, 02:05 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I know you can't turn back the clock, and hindsight is 20/20, but just curious, how bad was the stone chip? If you could do it all over again, I assume you'd just live with the chip, right?
Old 01-18-07, 03:33 PM
NVcactus
Driver School Candidate

The problem with my car has been resolved. The dealership has made a cash settlement. I will be trading in the car on a BMW 650i, due in 8 weeks.

The service department at the Las Vegas dealership was very helpful and tried their best to resolve the problem. The sales interface was not up to the standard I expected. The general sales manager no longer works there. I have no idea what influence, if any, my problem had on that.

Thanks to all who provided useful and constructive suggestions.
Old 01-18-07, 04:44 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

its great to hear your case is settled, but I certainly hope the reason(s) of trading in for a BMW is not the result of the incompetency of the paint shop nor the lack of integrity dealership and its staffs.
Old 01-18-07, 04:51 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NVcactus
The problem with my car has been resolved. The dealership has made a cash settlement. I will be trading in the car on a BMW 650i, due in 8 weeks.

The service department at the Las Vegas dealership was very helpful and tried their best to resolve the problem. The sales interface was not up to the standard I expected. The general sales manager no longer works there. I have no idea what influence, if any, my problem had on that.

Thanks to all who provided useful and constructive suggestions.

Good to hear, but keep in mind and not to come across as a smart $%^ but BMW's have paint also and they are just as difficult to match as any other car out there. The 650 is a good choice. Just hold them to any promises they make on paper. Take care.
Old 01-18-07, 08:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Good to hear, but keep in mind and not to come across as a smart $%^ but BMW's have paint also and they are just as difficult to match as any other car out there. The 650 is a good choice. Just hold them to any promises they make on paper. Take care.
lol, yeah... it is not easy to work at dealerships sometimes, eh?

Quick Reply: Can't match the paint!