What is it with the new car designs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 03:18 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 212 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
If I could get an SL, it'd be the SL65
I would take the SL65 if it's given to me , but probably not with my own money. It's WAY overpriced for what you get compared to the SL55/SL600 . . .
Old 09-21-06, 03:53 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Our SL is in the shop, often.
But that's not the bad part, the bad part is when you have to pay for it, 8 times because the dealer couldn't fix it the first time.

Trust me, if you have a car that's in the shop, it doesn't matter if it's a enjoyable as the SL. It's the dealer service that makes or breaks the car.
Old 09-21-06, 07:49 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1TYTESC
I find that body lines are similar to a song on the radio, in that; it grows on you each time you experience it even when you try to resist. An interesting mystery not easily understood. I think the SC430 has an undefinable quality that is attractive. The SL500 has a more obvious attraction.
Well said! I have been smittened by the look of the SC430 since the first day I saw it back in 2002 and it kept growing on me ever since. I don't care that people said it's an aging design. To me it still looks very good and sexy. Perhaps because there are far more SL on the road, the SL don't look spectacular to me at all to the point that it looks kind of plain IMO. I'll take the SC430 over any SL any day.
Old 09-22-06, 01:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
There is no question that the SC430 is a better car, build quality, reliablity, it's quicker. But I am talking about "looks" design and how it draws you in over time. I also love the looks of the SL500, who doesn't, but I am a car guy. I just think it is interesting when I ask women they tend to like the SC430??? Maybe I'm not asking the right women but I thought it was weird that any of them would like the looks of the SC430 over the SL500. I would think everyone would think the SL500 was better looking. But like I said in my first post the SC430 at least in BLACK (but I like Black cars )is growing on me and looks better overtime, where the SL500 doesn't seem to change in my eyes. Just wondering if it is some design issue with the new designs that they are using now?
i don't know of any "design" issues with the car, not like this shape causes the car to crash easier about the look, i personally just prefer the exterior of sl more, and interior i would choose the sc430 any day.

and btw, the sc430 is quicker than the sl500?????

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I would take the SL65 if it's given to me , but probably not with my own money. It's WAY overpriced for what you get compared to the SL55/SL600 . . .
and keep in mind, for the price of sl65? you can get whopping 3 THREE sc430. that car is way overpriced. sl55 or sl600 is good enough for me

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Our SL is in the shop, often.
But that's not the bad part, the bad part is when you have to pay for it, 8 times because the dealer couldn't fix it the first time.

Trust me, if you have a car that's in the shop, it doesn't matter if it's a enjoyable as the SL. It's the dealer service that makes or breaks the car.
i have to say, it's a great thing that mb owners come on here and tell the truth and accept it. i guess there is a price for everything
Old 09-22-06, 04:42 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

SL500 0-60 6.1, SC430 0-60 5.9. That is what I read in both manufactures information. I don't know of a car mag. doing a comparison.
Old 09-22-06, 07:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 212 Likes on 142 Posts

SL500 0-60 6.1, SC430 0-60 5.9. That is what I read in both manufactures information. I don't know of a car mag. doing a comparison.
They are roughly even from a magazine article I saw a few years ago, but with the updated SL550 for MY2007 with 380+hp, it can do 0-60 in 5.4 sec. or slightly quicker.
Old 09-22-06, 08:00 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

SL500 is slow, you don't buy that car for speed.
SL550 is much more respectable, but still stupid. Get the SL600 or SL55.

The SL600 with a 5000$ RENNtech chip can be made to run ~3sec 0-60 and 11's on the 1/4mi. Nuff said.
Old 09-22-06, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

interesting, i always thought the sl500 is faster than the sc430

but in my eyes both cars are about the same. i have seen the sc430 doing low 6 in magazines as well. so yup, both cars are slow
Old 09-22-06, 10:22 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

SL500 is around 6.1ish, I'm assuming the SC430 is faster because the same engine in the LS430 is around 5.9ish...

but really, who cares. You don't race these cars; especially not the Lexuses. They are plenty fast acceleration wise to get out of bad situations.
Old 09-22-06, 12:09 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My inputs,

SC430: It looks awesome with the top down.. Looks OKAY with the top up.. This is in STOCK form.. Interior is to die for.. I have the Ecru interior and it is a PITA to clean but it is the classiest interior that I have ever seen.. Power is good, not great but if you invest in some performance mods then I would say we can compete with the SL550 more or less.. ex.. intake, lsd, TC, exhaust..we would be around 5.5 sec range more or less.. and still save tens of thousands of dollars

SL500: Looks awesome top UP or DOWN... Sleek design.. In looks department I would choose the SL.. Though from what I see, its not true in every case, but some people think JUST because the SL costs near 100k, that IT HAS TO BE better than the SC430 which is definately NOT the case.

Never drove the SL so I can't comment on performance.
Old 09-22-06, 02:58 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
My inputs,

SC430: It looks awesome with the top down.. Looks OKAY with the top up.. This is in STOCK form.. Interior is to die for.. I have the Ecru interior and it is a PITA to clean but it is the classiest interior that I have ever seen.. Power is good, not great but if you invest in some performance mods then I would say we can compete with the SL550 more or less.. ex.. intake, lsd, TC, exhaust..we would be around 5.5 sec range more or less.. and still save tens of thousands of dollars

SL500: Looks awesome top UP or DOWN... Sleek design.. In looks department I would choose the SL.. Though from what I see, its not true in every case, but some people think JUST because the SL costs near 100k, that IT HAS TO BE better than the SC430 which is definately NOT the case.

Never drove the SL so I can't comment on performance.

See looks are just a matter of opinion. I like the SC430 more with the top up and I only like it in black or another real dark color. I drove both cars before I bought the SC430 and I really did not notice a difference. But I was driving the speed limit and was not on a track.
Old 09-22-06, 03:27 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

See looks are just a matter of opinion. I like the SC430 more with the top up and I only like it in black or another real dark color. I drove both cars before I bought the SC430 and I really did not notice a difference. But I was driving the speed limit and was not on a track.
Hi Max, yes I know looks are a matter of opinion, thats why I said it

When you drove the SL, was the throttle more 'responsive' than the SC? You know our cars have a slight hesistation on 1st gear.
Old 09-23-06, 08:07 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Hi Max, yes I know looks are a matter of opinion, thats why I said it

When you drove the SL, was the throttle more 'responsive' than the SC? You know our cars have a slight hesistation on 1st gear.
I'm old and I can't remember
Old 09-23-06, 09:20 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I think the SL is alot better looking than the SC, hands down. Top up or top down. That being said, there is no doubt the SC is more reliable. I haven't had any problems yet with my SL, but had plenty with my CL.

As for women liking the SC better, I think the SC is more....cute. This isn't a knock, but you probably see 10 women driving a SC for every 1 you see driving a SL. Again, that may be a size thing...women tend to like more compact cars which is why they would probably be a little more impressed with the SC. The SL would definately get more looks from guys than the SC. I don't think alot of people realize the SL is a retractable hardtop....the car looks really mean with the top up, like a more refined and smaller CL.
Old 09-23-06, 09:25 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mjr24
I think the SL is alot better looking than the SC, hands down. Top up or top down. That being said, there is no doubt the SC is more reliable. I haven't had any problems yet with my SL, but had plenty with my CL.

As for women liking the SC better, I think the SC is more....cute. This isn't a knock, but you probably see 10 women driving a SC for every 1 you see driving a SL. Again, that may be a size thing...women tend to like more compact cars which is why they would probably be a little more impressed with the SC. The SL would definately get more looks from guys than the SC. I don't think alot of people realize the SL is a retractable hardtop....the car looks really mean with the top up, like a more refined and smaller CL.
Size wise, the SC430 is the same length/width and is 2 inches higher because of ground clearance. They are the same size cars. The SL weighs a couple of hundred lbs more then the SC.

Quick Reply: What is it with the new car designs?