SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is there any way to turn off Nav voice prompts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-04, 06:08 PM
commonsens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice prompts

Read the F*&#ing owners manual. Sounds like you have the guidance on all the time. Turn it off!
Old 03-26-04, 06:11 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

ROFL. Been there did that. Doesn't work on 2003s and up. :\
Old 03-26-04, 06:13 PM
commonsens
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealers comments.

Do you have Lexus Link? Cant think of any voices from Nav system other than guidance. Lexus link has a voice. So our sue happy public has a harder time sueing Lexus like the a-holes they are.
Old 03-26-04, 08:43 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not know if installing an earlier version of the software would work, but I can tell you that my newer software did not change the "feature" discussed here. My NAV system continues to retain the voice on/off setting during shutdowns. This would indicate to me that this setting would not be altered by installation of a newer or older version of the software.[/B]
Good. You answered my question, tf. I have the 10/03 version 3.1 sitting on my desk and didn't want to install it if it was going to bring on the neverending voice.

Secondly, does anyone know the procedure on SC430's for accessing the secret diagnostic menu on our Nav's? (I know it's stated in the factory service manuals, but I don't have them.) This might be where the voice can be shut off as default.

Last edited by Roofless; 03-26-04 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-27-04, 09:08 PM
lairdb
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Roofless
Good. You answered my question, tf. I have the 10/03 version 3.1 sitting on my desk and didn't want to install it if it was going to bring on the neverending voice.

Secondly, does anyone know the procedure on SC430's for accessing the secret diagnostic menu on our Nav's? (I know it's stated in the factory service manuals, but I don't have them.) This might be where the voice can be shut off as default.
Yes... and no. First off, I discovered (while trying to reset a hard-fault in the tire pressure sensors system brought on by changing tires) that access to the factory service manuals in their entirety can be purchased on an daily, weekly, etc. basis via http://techinfo.lexus.com. (This didn't actually help me, but that's another story.) One day access is $10 or so; pretty reasonable, IMO.

The same procedure that caused the dashboard indicators to show the trouble codes turned out to throw the navigation unit into what I surmise was diagnostic mode (given that it showed lists of things, followed by "OK".

Unfortunately, the lists of things, and the available buttons, were all in Japanese. It wasn't my primary focus at the time, but I did not find any detail on using these menus in the available diagnostic info. (I did, by the way, find all the TSIBs on things like stereo-comes-on-full, doors-rattle, etc. as have often been discussed here.)

--Laird

[Edited for speling errers.]

Last edited by lairdb; 03-27-04 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 11:17 AM
zzjones
Driver School Candidate

In case this helps, of interest. Don't recall where/how I found it, but found an Installation Guide on line in pdf format. The guide has about 15 pages, with one page for a particular Lexus model vehicle (along with separate diagrams). The diagrams for each vehicle help one to locate the "ECU" unit where the DVD disk is housed. The ECU is in different places in different models, some under a front seat, some in the luggage compartment, looks like some are in glove box or behind in the dash. Anyway, to install an update DVD, the guide says locate the "ECU" which is the unit housing the disk (in luggage compartment in an SC430), remove the cover, slide push button to left... and this should open the dust cover and eject the DVD disk. I think you need to have the ignition "on" for this to work. Maybe there is a mechanical way to eject the disk too?? Next, remove the disk (send in for a rebate if eligible... those far out of date are likely not eligible, but I do see them on eBay and you may be able to sell them there anyway). Lastly, simply insert the new DVD disk and with the ignition "on" the NAV system will reboot and configure and update itself automatically. From all I have learned, however, the critical factor is to update with a disk that matches your NAV system "generation". I think the early SC430's of 2002-03 are GEN 2/3 and the update "versions" yearly manufactured go by a number corresponding to the year of the update (for example, the latest update in 2011 is that published in October 2010 and its version number is "10.1"). Sewell Parts assures me this Gen 2/3 ver. 10.1 will accuratedly work and update my SC2003 NAV system. As an aside, based upon the "generation" and "version" numbers and there is also a "U" number too, such as U02 or U33, etc., it appears that other Japanese vehicle makes and models use the exact same NAV disks. I am told the actual map data is likely supplied by ESRI (a company in Redlands, CA, USA), but I suspect the actual manufacture of the disks is in Japan along with the NAV system computer itself, however this is a guess on my part. I have downloaded and saved this installation guide and can forward it to anyone who asks... but the brief info above is essaentially all it says. If you are involved in searching for the "ECU" in other Lexus vehicles, then some of the diagrams are helpful, but likely simply asking a local Lexus (or other make??) service technician can tell you this information too. In the SC430, in the luggage compartment, on the right side, is a plastic cover with a tell-tale label: just pop the cover and the ECU is easy to get to.