Door Removal and Speaker Replacement - PDF TUTORIAL

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 01:32 AM
Daveychan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Door Removal and Speaker Replacement - PDF TUTORIAL

Hello,

This weekend i replaced my front-door woofers while using a very nice tutorial posted on this forum.

I'm posting that re-edited PDF for the door removal (i've made a few changes to that tutorial) and created a new PDF for the speaker replacement.

I hope that these will be helpful for someone else...

Thanks again to everyone who's given their time and effort to help others here! I couldn't have done it without you!

davey

P.S. - Apologies in advance to the mods for the re-post of material and ideas that have discussed many times here already, but i thought a new post with all the good ideas in one thread might be beneficial.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Door Removal.pdf (1.13 MB, 3312 views)
File Type: pdf
The following 4 users liked this post by Daveychan:
Azfixer (04-30-21), joemg (04-15-20), M1Lover (06-21-18), Oceans13 (10-13-21)
Old 09-20-11, 02:00 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work!
Old 09-20-11, 06:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Good job. Recognized a few pics in there.
Old 09-20-11, 07:46 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw those clips dont break everytime. you have to push the middle in and then you can pop them off. i did it and no problem just wanted to give out the quick tip. nice write up
Old 09-20-11, 09:42 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by irokdastar
btw those clips dont break everytime. you have to push the middle in and then you can pop them off. i did it and no problem just wanted to give out the quick tip. nice write up
This tip was not known when I broke 2 of mine. Push instead of pull, me the idiot.
The following users liked this post:
Nusbaum (10-20-21)
Old 09-20-11, 10:32 AM
donsmith
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, are you still using the original stock amps? If so, that's a very big difference in the size of the speaker magnets, do the drivers even move much (i.e. is the power from the amp sufficient to produce enough to move the drivers and give you some nice bass)?
Old 09-20-11, 01:25 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with these when I replace the front speakers. it was a struggle to find 6 x 9
8 ohm speakers.http://dcgold.com/products/classic-line/n69c/ They were about $200 a pair on Ebay. They have an even better version for $300 but I doubt if you would hear the difference with the top down.
Old 09-20-11, 04:30 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

A most excellent write up.
Old 09-20-11, 07:39 PM
Daveychan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by donsmith
OP, are you still using the original stock amps? If so, that's a very big difference in the size of the speaker magnets, do the drivers even move much (i.e. is the power from the amp sufficient to produce enough to move the drivers and give you some nice bass)?
Hello,

Yes, i've kept the original Mark Levinson stock amp. I actually think the sound quality for the system is pretty good, so i just wanted to replace my ruined woofers with a higher-end speaker. And YES! the bass difference is very significant. On the more "thumpier" songs, i can really feel the bass moving through that door. I never had anything close to that before!

Also worth noting, while driving on the highway with the roof off (of course! ) i can now clearly hear (and feel) my music at "regular" volumes. With the original stock speakers, i really had to crank up the volume to drown out my voice as i sang along... ha ha! (This is probably why those woofers looked as ragged as they did!)
Old 10-15-11, 11:35 AM
DrawDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this tutorial, it was very helpful when replacing my 6 X 9 door speakers. There were a couple of differences removing the door, I only had two pins and they were located on the black part of the door right near the front edge, up by the mid-range driver and tweeter. Everything else was the same except I also disconnected the lower door light connection... just made it a little easier to rotate the panel. I chose the speakers that were rated best in this shootout; http://www.soundstream.com/images/ma...ST6.9_shot.pdf They fit fine but although you have to trim two nibs on the plastic frame in order for the speaker to fit flush. I just clipped the nibs away with some wire cutters and then sanded them flat... everything else worked as shown. I did not connect up the tweeter that comes concentrically mounted in Soundstream's 6 X 9, I just orphaned it. My OEM speakers looked just like the ones in the tutorial, no edging left. :-o The bass from the Soundstreams is amazing! Even when cranked, they deliver tight, punchy, powerful bass. I had the grill covers flapping and still no distortion... sweet! I highly recommend them to anyone replacing their OEMs. I got mine from Amazon here http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-SS.../dp/B0002W81YI It doesn't make it clear on Amazon's site, but the $77 bucks is for one box that has TWO speakers in it. Hope this helps!
Old 10-15-11, 11:50 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Great job Davey, thanks. I will use your info when I get round to installing my Luxlink in the winter.

Best regards
Steve
Old 10-15-11, 01:03 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Outstanding work, Davey! Wow. Thank you for putting this all together. No doubt this as well as several other outstanding DIY's by Pearlpower, Johnnycake and other gurus should be made as sticky posts. We need a DIY sticky in general for all DIY's, don't you all think???? We already have these great collections out there, just need to make them succint in a nice folder.

Serpentine belt replacement
Windshield wiper replacement
Antenna Replacement
Speaker replacement
A/C Cabin Filter
Seat Reset-seat beeping
Headlight leveling
Top won't work---valet button
Pop in front suspension/brakes on cold starts, first starts
TPMS light is on-step by step process to fix/eliminate
Rear Tails DIY
Front lighting DIY
Installing iPod or Vais unit
Installing Coilovers
Installing red calipers or colored calipers

Others???
Old 10-17-11, 10:09 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The triangle weatherstripping replacement that eliminates the wind noise. The window adjustment portion needs to be added though.
Old 10-19-11, 03:06 PM
edmondt
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to do this... I just want to ask, if I cannot find the blue high performance silicon, would it be okie to use the regular transparent ones?
Old 10-20-11, 10:17 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I gather that you (edmondt) are referring to the speaker repair, correct?

Quick Reply: Door Removal and Speaker Replacement - PDF TUTORIAL