SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 04:28 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it

This may be a weird thread or maybe this will be the only post. But the topic is surprising things you discovered about the SC long after first owning it. I mention this because I had two just this week, after owning the car for almost two years.

Tonight I saw a little button next to the mirror control which I never noticed before. Pressed it and all of a sudden the headlights get washed! Who knew?

I have all my listings in the phone directory truncated so that they will best fit into the 8 characters allowed. By accident discovered that the "one touch dialing" menu will accept 14 characters. Re-did those and they look much better. Surprise, surprise.
The following 3 users liked this post by JohnnyCake:
Dripley (05-22-21), Nusbaum (10-01-21), SC430Dad (11-18-22)
Old 02-13-09, 04:38 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Tonight I saw a little button next to the mirror control which I never noticed before. Pressed it and all of a sudden the headlights get washed! Who knew?
Haha well I knew that and I dont have that button

But that will prompt me to ask this question..

Instead of that button my same button retracts both side mirrors inwards. However I still have the headlight washers, so what makes my headlight washers come on?
The following 2 users liked this post by aquanuke:
shadylex (08-27-20), smariasg63 (04-05-17)
Old 02-13-09, 05:38 PM
golfxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 03 and now that you mention it I don't know how to get my head light washers to work. I do have a manual so I guess I'll look it up. I have noticed when I have my radio on it appears to get louder when I pick up speed and the sound goes down when I come to a stop. I assumed it was to compensate for road noise. Has anybody ever heard of this?
Old 02-13-09, 06:03 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

golfxx - your radio is in ASL Mode then. And that is exactly what it's for. If you want to turn it off, cycle thru the settings (via pushing volume control) until it says ASL, then turn the volume *** one or two clicks til it says OFF. Your volume will remain constant.

Oh yeah, surprises. I was surprised at how much of the car gets washed when you use the headlight washers.

This is actually a good thread, JC.

Last edited by Roofless; 02-13-09 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-13-09, 06:32 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that if I have the headlights on and I want to spritz my windshield, the headlight-washer spritzes the headlights, too. Maybe yours activates that way (I have an '02 and have the headlight-spritz button).

What really surprises me is that I actually used the word spritz 4 times in one post
Old 02-13-09, 07:52 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, the headlights have to be on for the headlight squirters to work. I thought they were broken the first time I tried to test them.

Here's one...

If you have the mirror switch set to Left or Right, we all know that the mirrors tilt down when you put the car in reverse...

But.......did you also know that, while you're in reverse, you can use the mirror controls to move the mirrors around...like tilt them down further to see the curb, or move them out to get a better view...and when you take the car out of reverse, the mirrors go right back where the started from (and no, they don't go back again to the funky position when you put the car in reverse the next time...a one-shot deal).

I've used this trick more than once.
The following 3 users liked this post by Habious:
FastSC (10-20-23), HardTimes (10-09-17), rc0107 (07-23-21)
Old 02-13-09, 07:58 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Originally Posted by aquanuke
Instead of that button my same button retracts both side mirrors inwards. However I still have the headlight washers, so what makes my headlight washers come on?

Wait a second... Can the US SC430 fold in its mirrors, or is this just other countries?
Old 02-13-09, 08:43 PM
deadeyed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Habious
But.......did you also know that, while you're in reverse, you can use the mirror controls to move the mirrors around...like tilt them down further to see the curb, or move them out to get a better view...and when you take the car out of reverse, the mirrors go right back where the started from (and no, they don't go back again to the funky position when you put the car in reverse the next time...a one-shot deal).
wow, didn't know that. i'll try it tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 02-13-09, 11:31 PM
NorCal430
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Radio surprises...

After having the SC430 for almost a year I found out how you can turn the radio on and off without opening the radio cover or touching the radio if the doors are open.

If the radio is off, just press the mode button that normally changes the radio band from AM to FM to CD and the radio or CD will come on as if you pressed the power button. The radio door can remain closed while you are playing the radio.

If the radio is on (door open or not) just hold down the same mode button until the radio goes off. The door will stay in place (either open or closed).

Maybe everyone knew this, but it was a surprise to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by NorCal430:
eadamy (03-05-24), FastSC (10-20-23), gbdad (09-26-18)
Old 02-14-09, 05:39 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
This may be a weird thread or maybe this will be the only post. But the topic is surprising things you discovered about the SC long after first owning it. I mention this because I had two just this week, after owning the car for almost two years.

I have all my listings in the phone directory truncated so that they will best fit into the 8 characters allowed. By accident discovered that the "one touch dialing" menu will accept 14 characters. Re-did those and they look much better. Surprise, surprise.
Hate to tell you Johnny; I've had mine for two months and I knew that.

Have you considered reading the owner's manual?

Old 02-14-09, 09:16 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC430Sam
Wait a second... Can the US SC430 fold in its mirrors, or is this just other countries?
Just other countries, All Japanese cars come as stock these days with it. I guess as everywhere else has small roads. Given the choice I would rather have huge roads instead
Old 02-14-09, 11:35 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I had electric-retracting mirrors; I've dinged my driver's side mirror on my garage more than a few times. Our LX has them and we use the function all the time. My nephew loves to sit and push the button over and over; he thinks it's hilarious. When the switch burns out from over-use, I wonder if his father will think the bill I hand him for replacing it is hilarious, too
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (06-25-19)
Old 02-16-09, 03:49 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey Jackalope, I've never been called a noob and didn't even know what it meant. According to Wikipedia, "n00b is a pejorative term for a user who fails to learn from experience." Whatever.

Have I read the owner's manual? Yes.
Have I committed every page to memory? No.
I guess you are just smarter than I am.

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Hate to tell you Johnny; I've had mine for two months and I knew that.

Have you considered reading the owner's manual?

The following users liked this post:
stubeeef (09-01-21)
Old 02-16-09, 04:57 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

someone on this forum mentioned that if you press repeatedly really fast, the button that retracts our roofs down, it keeps the quarter windows up/down depending on when the roof is up or down.

am afraid to try it though.....
Old 02-16-09, 05:03 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 1/4 window

Originally Posted by rclab1
someone on this forum mentioned that if you press repeatedly really fast, the button that retracts our roofs down, it keeps the quarter windows up/down depending on when the roof is up or down.

am afraid to try it though.....
yes it kind of half *** works. In my opinon it stress the switch and the other related parts ,

I installed the luxlink remote start and top as well as the quarter window mod, I prefer the luxlink solution it works all the time.

Buddy

Quick Reply: Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it