SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc400 owners what grade fuel do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 08:05 AM
schwarz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

89oct with 10% ethanol. Here, you have no choice but to use ethanol so that's what it is. And no difference in 89 and 91 on my car other than cost. Never run 87 cuz it costs more than 89 for some reason.
Old 03-30-11, 08:08 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 92 and its get only premium.. I have never had any knock or valves pinging. Premium here in Bama on post is $3.59.. Still high for us.. But I would hate to live out west.
Old 03-30-11, 10:06 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus
It's not about affordability, it's about wasting cash man. And that's an idiotic and arrogant attitude when most of these SCs cost less than a honda civic haha.

So first off, premium gas has a higher heat of combustion and THAT is the primary reason for higher octane and why it resists pre-ignition. Some of the additives do make it more efficient, but the difference in negligible. The price difference however is very real.

I put on about 15,000 miles per year which after some basic math is about 900 gallons of gas. Difference in my area is about $.35 between regular and premium and about $.25 between 89 and 91. Even just switching to 89 will save over $200 per year. Why throw away $200 when it literally makes NO difference in the performance and reliability of your engine?
This is exactly what I was getting at^^ and it's not that I can't afford premium it's more that I don't feel that it is necesssary.
Old 03-30-11, 01:54 PM
1jzchris
Pole Position

93+ all the way........Hurts my pocket but better that than my Sc.....lol
Old 03-30-11, 02:14 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the same people that assume their $4000 lexus is a status symbol think that premium gas is a status symbol on some level...
Old 03-30-11, 02:51 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I think the same people that assume their $4000 lexus is a status symbol think that premium gas is a status symbol on some level...
Haha exactly right! I guess my question was worded wrong, It should have read... Why do sc400 owners feel they need 93 oct fuel?

With that being said I once knew a guy who had a corsica and would fill it with nothing but 93 fuel and he swore he could feel the power increase Fml!
Old 03-30-11, 03:17 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use what’s recommended in the Lexus Owners manual which is 91+ premium, if Lexus recommended a lower grade then i would use that. But they don’t so 91+ is best for this car. If you want to run lower grade in your car then go right ahead the best to you
Old 03-30-11, 03:53 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, there is a lot of that going around on various subjects. Its not a new Lexus folks, its just a used car. I love how some people argue about how luxurious they are even today, my 2009 Dodge work truck is better equipped that my 95 sc as far as modern amenities go. Don't get me wrong, they are nice and well made cars but they are still an old car.

About gasoline here is some food for thought, top of the line engine oil from 1995 couldn't even be sold as 99 cent a quart no-name oil today. Oil technology has progressed to the point that todays product is not even comparable to its former incarnations, its just so much better. I cannot imagine that there has been no improvement in the quality of gasoline, and I know for a fact that there has been. Additive quality has improved greatly and EPA regs have mandated removal of particulate contaminates that increased emissions, with a side benefit of increasing detonation resistance. We aren't driving around on our grandfathers gasoline.
Old 03-30-11, 04:11 PM
VanillaSC
Driver

Originally Posted by xspsi6
This is a serious question for the non vvti sc400 owners with a stock 1uzfe.
Since there is a 30 cents differebce between 87 and 93 the savings will add up pretty fast if I could long term getaway with crap gas.

In my is300 I could run cheap gas but mileage was worse due to ping or knock being picked up via the knock sensor and of course pulling timing but being the 1st gen 1uzfe is a non vvti engine and although a 10:1 compression ratio I would venture to guess I could get away with 89 oct fuel with out knock.

I hate to even ask this but 80.00 per week in gas is getting old and fast!
I run 89 in mine. My girlfriend's Dad is a chemist for a major petroleum company (I won't say which one) and he basically told me the same thing. Some engines are more prone to knocking which will retard timing and effect performance. I don't believe the non vvti 1uzfe is one of these engines. I haven't put 87 in yet but I'm sure there would be little to no difference, and if prices continue to go up this summer I will switch to 87. My dad had a vvti GS400 and ran 89 the entire time he owned it with no issues. Unless you are boosted or have higher than stock compression I don't see any reason to run 93 octane, just my .02.
Old 03-30-11, 05:04 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1992 Lexus Owners Manual for the SC300 and SC400 state:

Octane Rating
Select premium unleaded gasoline with Research Octane Number of 96 (Octane Rating 91) or higher. However gasoline with an octane number as low as 91 may be used if premium unleaded gasoline cannot be obtained.

Use of unleaded fuel with an octane number or rating lower than stated above will cause persistent heavy knocking. If severe, this will lead to engine damage.
Your call
Old 03-30-11, 05:39 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, that was for gas twenty years ago. The oil companies have made huge leaps in refining processes that have increased the quality of even lower octane fuels. When I bought my car in January I fully intended to always run 93 in it, then gas went up a dollar a gallon and after some testing all is well so 87 it is.
Old 03-30-11, 05:43 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joey-E
1992 Lexus Owners Manual for the SC300 and SC400 state:

Octane Rating
Select premium unleaded gasoline with Research Octane Number of 96 (Octane Rating 91) or higher. However gasoline with an octane number as low as 91 may be used if premium unleaded gasoline cannot be obtained.
Use of unleaded fuel with an octane number or rating lower than stated above will cause persistent heavy knocking. If severe, this will lead to engine damage.
Your call
$200/year ($16.67/month) OR an engine at $1000... plus installation costs, as most on this forum don't have the experience/tools/space/time to do an engine swap.
motivation enough for me to use premium...

I don't drive the sc as a dd (part because it's broken, atm, part because my dd gets 50% better economy), but when I do, it's premium all the way.

Last edited by BenStoked; 03-30-11 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 05:57 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

An n/a engine will not blow from using 87 oct gas the very worst it will do is pull a little timing as the knock sensor picks up knock and it may be down on power but that's worst case.
Old 03-30-11, 06:31 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i get about 20-30 miles more per tank using 93 vs 87 tried both , really dosent matter i did the math a while a go and for me running 93 is actually cheaper not that a 15 dollar/month is going to make a difference for me or should for anyone to even worry about.
Old 03-30-11, 07:06 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xspsi6
An n/a engine will not blow from using 87 oct gas the very worst it will do is pull a little timing as the knock sensor picks up knock and it may be down on power but that's worst case.
presuming your 10-20 year old ks is in working order of course...

Quick Reply: Sc400 owners what grade fuel do you use?