SCs are expensive cars!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 01:05 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCs are expensive cars!!

There are a few things that astound me about these cars:

1. They retain their value TOO well!! ( cant get one cheap)
2. This is true of ALL years.
3. There are not many out there

I am just doing some pre cursory martket browsing now (95-96 SC/97+SC/98+GS), but MAN, I'll be dammed if I didnt find a 96 SC300 for 17k the other day!!! Jesus Christ man, 17k for a 96!! The car had about 65k on it and was at a dealer, but still. I also saw a personal seller 96 400 with 86k for 18,500!!!

My little brother is a car salesman, and his used car buyer told him, that these cars are rare, and expensive WHEREVER you go!!

Before I got my GS, I was gonna get a SC, but I could not find a good conditioned example in my price range.

Something tells me that these are gonna be worth something (MORE THAN NOW) one day. Maybe I'm to analytical, but c'mon a 7yr old car retaining about 30-40% of its value, even with high mileage? That is amazing.

I now have even more respect for these vehicles, especially the ones in mint condition.

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 10-22-03 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 02:25 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's really hard trying to find one in good shape for a good price...I've been bouncing around for 2 months now and I have nothing to show for my efforts...
Old 10-22-03, 02:31 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I could say the same for my 93 5 speed with 113k. It's probably only worth 6500 to 7k now
Old 10-22-03, 03:24 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

92-94 are like 5-9k
95-97 are like 10-14k
98-00 are like 16-18k

that doesnt look too expansive too me.. and i dont see how they retain their value..
what retains their value are toyota supra TT. 50k when they were first out.. 9-10 years later, they still run for like 20-35k for a supra within 50-120k.

these are cars in cali too.. not like in other eastern states that 90% of the cars on the road suffer from rust damage.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-22-03 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 03:45 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by NRG
92-94 are like 5-9k
95-97 are like 10-14k
98-00 are like 16-18k

that doesnt look too expansive too me.. and i dont see how they retain their value.. you must be blind..
what retains their value are toyota supra TT. 50k when they were first out.. 9-10 years later, they still run for like 20-35k for a supra within 50-120k.

these are cars in cali too.. not like in other eastern states that 90% of the cars on the road suffer from rust damage. ]
Do me a favor man, keep those brash little comments you LOVE to make off my threads. I notice that you always come on and try make light of someone or undermine their comments, and I dont need that.

I was simply making a GENERAL post about SC's since I have been kinda looking for one. And about that blind question, you must be one sided and uninformed (not to mention a fan on Trolling decent members threads) because here is a link to some SC prices in my area

Autotrader NE result- UPDATED

Now do me a favor EINSTEIN, please tell me you dont see the 96 second from the top asking 18K plus. THAT was what I was referring to. I'm quite sure it is different in various geographies but if you LOOK (rather than just blurt) you will see that I was making a GENERAL reference and not an exact science. Also, the title of my post is not, PLEASE REFUTE EVERYTHING I SAY AND THEN POST TRIVIAL INFO ABOUT OTHER VEHICLES!!

Thanks alot man, and when you learn how to present things in a non-offensive and condescending manner, I have EVERY intention of returning to my normal politically correct, polite self.

Have a excellent day!

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 10-22-03 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 03:52 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

first off.. you're at autotrader.com worst place to even start looking.
2nd, you offer me numbers from a dealer.. why would you want to buy a used car from a dealer? when you can get the same car from a privite seller for 3k cheaper?

I guess you're still kinda new on cars..

It's alright.. sorry if you took my post that way..

Have a good day
Old 10-22-03, 03:58 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by NRG
first off.. you're at autotrader.com worst place to even start looking.
2nd, you offer me numbers from a dealer.. why would you want to buy a used car from a dealer? when you can get the same car from a privite seller for 3k cheaper?

I guess you're still kinda new on cars..

It's alright.. sorry if you took my post that way..

Have a good day
Hey I had the wrong link in there, please click again.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion man, thats what makes this forum so great, RESPECTING the opinion of others!

Its cool man no harm no foul, you have a good one urself
Old 10-22-03, 04:06 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust me, I've looked everywhere...Anywhere from newspapers to dealerships to all of the used car sites in the dot com world...All I have say is that its extremely diffcult to look for these cars at a good price...If they are in good shape, they are expensive...If they are crashed or salvaged, they are relatively cheaper..

It's been a wild goose chase for me, I have negotiated with countless people...They just don't want to bite, just because they are still in love with these cars and are not willing to let them go for cheap...
Old 10-22-03, 04:15 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

If you think the sc is still expensive wait until you try to buy a repair manual.
Old 10-22-03, 04:54 PM
amati5
Driver

In California these cars are definitely not rare and they are quite cheap compared to how much one paid for them brand new. I have had the car for over 10 yrs with only 60Km and now need a 4 doors (I am not in love with it ) . Looking at the prices listed on the ads, I just can't let it go so cheap. The Supras TT is a total different story, should have bought one and probably still want to keep

Last edited by amati5; 10-22-03 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 05:04 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SCs are expensive cars!!

Originally posted by DGOT20s
There are a few things that astound me about these cars:

1. They retain their value TOO well!! ( cant get one cheap)
2. This is true of ALL years.
3. There are not many out there

I am just doing some pre cursory martket browsing now (95-96 SC/97+SC/98+GS), but MAN, I'll be dammed if I didnt find a 96 SC300 for 17k the other day!!! Jesus Christ man, 17k for a 96!! The car had about 65k on it and was at a dealer, but still. I also saw a personal seller 96 400 with 86k for 18,500!!!

My little brother is a car salesman, and his used car buyer told him, that these cars are rare, and expensive WHEREVER you go!!

Before I got my GS, I was gonna get a SC, but I could not find a good conditioned example in my price range.

Something tells me that these are gonna be worth something (MORE THAN NOW) one day. Maybe I'm to analytical, but c'mon a 7yr old car retaining about 30-40% of its value, even with high mileage? That is amazing.

I now have even more respect for these vehicles, especially the ones in mint condition.

D......you'll be so mad when you find out how much I paid for my 95 SC. Guess.

Okay I'll let you off the hook......I only paid $7k, the original owner was in a rush to buy his 911 and I low-balled him. Of course it probably helped that he made over 100k a year too. Keep on looking, you'll find a good deal. It took me about 7 months to find mine.

NRG: You must not travel to the east coast much if you think 90% of our cars have rust. Many people garage the car for the winter, as in the case of the vehicle I brought. For that matter I've seen daily driven cars (all seasons) without an ounce of rust on them.
Old 10-22-03, 06:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hrmm, that's weird, SCs are a dime a dozen over here. I see a few of them up every week in the local Auto Trader and Luxury Autos going for around $10k-35k. My buddy has six of them at his house too, including a white on tan 5-speed that I've been eyeballing for a while now
Old 10-22-03, 07:00 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by lex400sc
Hrmm, that's weird, SCs are a dime a dozen over here. I see a few of them up every week in the local Auto Trader and Luxury Autos going for around $10k-35k. My buddy has six of them at his house too, including a white on tan 5-speed that I've been eyeballing for a while now
Funny man, i guess its regional, like LexAristo is always telling me that he never see's first gen Aristos, yet over here they are all over the place (well at least in NY/NJ they are)
Old 10-22-03, 07:16 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

ahh.. love you fellow CL members in cali.. Proof that lexus are everywhere..
i see about 20+ everyday at my school.
my first post was just some facts on the price of cars in cali..
thats why lots of people in other states feel like they're alone in their lexus hah.

Their's one black Aristos i see everyday while walking from the parking lot of the school.
its black with some stock GS wheels in the front, and some Gold Volk wheels in the rear. I dunno who it is, but that car is HOT.

Anyways. lexus are not expansive in cali. maybe in other states..
Old 10-22-03, 07:21 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Man all this Cali talk, I'ma make one of you guys buy me a pristine SC then drive it over here to the east coast dammit!!

Sometimes I HATE you guys, best roads, really good speedshop, and cheap Lexus vehicles in steady supply!! Damn you all! LOL

Quick Reply: SCs are expensive cars!!