SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1996 lexus sc400 4.0L new harmonic balancer shredding belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-22, 06:29 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeX2K
My working theory is the crank gear is not seated correctly which is causing all your problems. If it was then it wouldn't be possible to put the crank on hardly at all because the key would not line up. In other words the pulley would be pushed out a good inch.

Don't try and reassemble anything. Worst possible case you replace the woodruff key, plate and gear.

ok to resummarize the OP,

i took the old crank pulley off(the big one), which was all lined up right

i put the new pulley on 180 degrees in reverse and didnt notice that it was sticking out, it shredded two belts.

so if the old pulley was correctly put on, what could cause the interior pulley to deteriorate? maybe driving it a few miles?

or is my whole problem me putting the pulley wrong?

and how do i put it on right? is there a mark of some sort?
Old 11-21-22, 06:29 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

This has "previous owner effed up" written all over it.
ok u may be correct there as the old pulley was missing the top part and was down to the rubber and the belt was just riding on the rubber.
Old 11-21-22, 06:31 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

so i need to reseat the

13521P - PULLEY, CRANKSHAFT TIMING? and then the sensor plate? is that what you are saying?

http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/1...-piston#13521P
Old 11-21-22, 06:32 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

Originally Posted by gamemylife

i put the new pulley on 180 degrees in reverse and didnt notice that it was sticking out, it shredded two belts.

so if the old pulley was correctly put on, what could cause the interior pulley to deteriorate? maybe driving it a few miles?

the old pulley was really small and missing the part that goes around the rubber.... thats why i went to replacing it when the belt jumped off when i got stuck in the mud and was revving it.
Old 11-21-22, 06:33 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

the old pulley was really small and missing the part that goes around the rubber.... thats why i went to replacing it when the belt jumped off when i got stuck in the mud and was revving it.
but also it was mounted flush with the crankshaft.... so i think im the one that ****ed up..
my question is how do i line the pulley up with the key now?
Old 11-21-22, 06:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,739 Likes on 2,320 Posts

I don't know what exactly happened, doesn't matter now. But by your description you may have damaged the woodruff key and possibly other parts. I'm repeating myself at this point you need to pull the lower cover and try to remove the crank gear, or tap it flush with the crank if nothing is damaged.

The pully is very easy to line up by eye, match the cut out of the pulley to the woodruff key. Then the pulley (normally) goes in easily.
Old 11-21-22, 07:00 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

I don't know what exactly happened, doesn't matter now. But by your description you may have damaged the woodruff key and possibly other parts. I'm repeating myself at this point you need to pull the lower cover and try to remove the crank gear, or tap it flush with the crank if nothing is damaged.

The pully is very easy to line up by eye, match the cut out of the pulley to the woodruff key. Then the pulley (normally) goes in easily.
ok thank you for repeating yourself. i will take off the cover tomorrow, remove the sensor plate and the crank gear(i assume that is 13521P - http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/1...-piston#13521P)

i will then inspect for damage and try to put everything back.

thank you for your help, i will update this thread tomorrow for future reference. someone might find this conversation useful in the future. again, thanks.
Old 11-21-22, 07:02 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 699 Likes on 519 Posts

but also it was mounted flush with the crankshaft.... so i think im the one that ****ed up..
my question is how do i line the pulley up with the key now?
This is what the crank and key should look like.......your lower gear looks like its flush with the end of the key but still looks like it is on the key.
The lower gear moved out because the balancer was improperly installed. I would take that lower cover off, should be easy because its broken and take a blunt ended punch and carefully see if you can tap it gently back the gear until it bottoms out.
If that works clean up the face of the balancer where you gouged it and slip it back on to see how it lines up with the other pulleys. If you can't tap the gear back in the whole front of the engine will have to come off like in the second picture...fairly big job for you I think.

Old 11-21-22, 07:06 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gerf
This is what the crank and key should look like.......your lower gear looks like its flush with the end of the key but still looks like it is on the key.
The lower gear moved out because the balancer was improperly installed. I would take that lower cover off, should be easy because its broken and take a blunt ended punch and carefully see if you can tap it gently back the gear until it bottoms out.
If that works clean up the face of the balancer where you gouged it and slip it back on to see how it lines up with the other pulleys. If you can't tap the gear back in the whole front of the engine will have to come off like in the second picture...fairly big job for you I think.

oh god.. thanks..

i have unsuccessfully replaced headgaskets on two different engines before. i failed both times. one time cadillac one time ford 4.6. both motors were toast after i was done, so yea i would probably not attempt that... damn.. i feel really dumb rn. but u live and u learn. im also doing my first transmission in my 65 impala. i think that was pretty easy but im not done yet lol. almost there.

thanks for that advice i will try to tap it on.
Old 11-21-22, 07:10 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 699 Likes on 519 Posts

I had a 65 impala ss 396 4 spd back in the day, 3 round tail lites per side. Rear suspension arms kept breaking because it wheel hopped so hard.
Old 11-21-22, 07:13 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gerf
I had a 65 impala ss 396 4 spd back in the day, 3 round tail lites per side. Rear suspension arms kept breaking because it wheel hopped so hard.
haha awesome. i have 65 ss as well with a 454. yes 3 round tail lights thats the one i love. i bought it wrecked and had the body work done. but it was fully restored and was a drag car. therefore transmission. i had a guy built up a real nice tranny with high energy clutches and 34 element sprag and im almost done putting it in. just down to shimming the starter now. hopefully i didnt fk nothing up lol

im a simple dude i can do simple things like brakes alternators, rotors, water pumps and i h ave a one car garage. but when it comes to inside of the motor i always **** it up so i dont even try anymore. i didnt realize how much i ****ed up by simply trying to install a harmonic balancer here. damn.. haha.
Old 11-21-22, 07:15 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

The following 2 users liked this post by gamemylife:
LeX2K (11-21-22), Photon440 (11-23-22)
Old 11-21-22, 07:18 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

speaking of the impala whoever built it put the fuel pump under the hood lol. im about to remount it bu the tank. but it will run 15 mins and then shuts off u think that could be causing it? it wasnt doing it at first..

Attached Thumbnails 1996 lexus sc400 4.0L new harmonic balancer shredding belt-4f186558-0a1d-4b01-87e0-cf4a6b3478ce.jpeg  
Old 11-21-22, 07:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,739 Likes on 2,320 Posts

That Impala is a beauty.
Old 11-22-22, 12:13 PM
gamemylife
Rookie

i think i tapped it on it moved back quite a bit.

is this how the sensor plate goes?

am i good now? lol

u guys might have saved my sale… i hope

Quick Reply: 1996 lexus sc400 4.0L new harmonic balancer shredding belt