SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What do we have to do to get Toyota to add the SC to the heritage program?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 10:39 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What do we have to do to get Toyota to add the SC to the heritage program?

Toyota created the heritage program to continue to manufacture and sell parts for the Supra MKIII/IV and 2000GT.

My question is how do we convince them to do the same for the SC? I'd tend to think that there are just as many SC owners who would like to preserve their car in original condition and do more resto jobs as time goes on. There's so few good condition Supras available and most are modified and are fetching sky-high prices in 2021.

Wouldn't it be amazing to be able to get replacement door panels and trim pieces, etc?

Link
https://www.toyota.co.jp/cmpnform/pub/co/grheritage_en

News related:
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/t...parts-program/
https://www.thedrive.com/news/31780/...-and-90s-supra
Old 05-22-21, 02:40 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 414 Likes on 342 Posts

I would love this for the SC. The only downside is the parts would cost a fortune, especially if we had to go though dealerships. A single door panel used to be over $1,000 new.

It’s rare to see these cars in junk yards in decent condition. It would be incredible to have new parts. Is there anything we can do to request this?
Old 05-23-21, 07:24 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFFUN
There's so few good condition Supras available and most are modified and are fetching sky-high prices in 2021.
I suspect that's your answer. It won't happen (IMO) until the SC is perceived to have the same collector interest.
Old 05-23-21, 09:12 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I think the SC will be eligible soon, more articles have been surfacing lately ive noticed about them.if there is a petition we could bring to toyota consider my name added to the list.
Old 05-24-21, 01:07 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,222 Likes on 857 Posts

I would LOVE for this to happen but I think it would be more likely that the 1991-2000 Z30 Toyota Soarer might be added before the SC300/400

Even before that I'd see the AE86 Corolla, AW11 MR2, SW20 MR2 and ST165/185/205 Celica GT-Four / All-Trac models being added next.

What has concerned me about the Toyota Heritage Program has been the extremely limited selection of parts for the MKIII and MKIV Supras. A part gets added once in a while but it isn't much to date. The 2000GT has far more parts available but even its selection is very limited so far. I hope this will change in the future.

Still, I also wish for this to happen. The Z30 Soarer and SC300/400 deserve to be in the Heritage Program. Also so do the Chaser and Mark 2 sedans.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-27-21 at 12:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Bimmerbill (05-26-21), Kira X (05-24-21)
Old 05-25-21, 06:32 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I really think that it may be possible. How do we make Toyota/Lexus to take notice? That may be expensive part, as I think that companies respond to Dollars or whatever local currency where parts and equipment are purchased. I've done my share of purchasing parts from the local stealerships as sometimes its comparable or lower in price than aftermarket.
Old 05-27-21, 01:26 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Tallyhoe
I really think that it may be possible. How do we make Toyota/Lexus to take notice? That may be expensive part, as I think that companies respond to Dollars or whatever local currency where parts and equipment are purchased. I've done my share of purchasing parts from the local stealerships as sometimes its comparable or lower in price than aftermarket.
It would come down to whether or not the division of Toyota / Gazoo Racing the runs the Heritage Program wants to include it with the other globally known "sports" Toyotas that have risen sharply in used market value and collectible status.

Now to make them take notice of the Soarer and SC300/400? SC's in general would have to begin getting more expensive on the used market, hold their value higher when sales and purchases of them are made and they'd probably need to be recognized as a "collectible" by collector insurance companies such as Hagerty.

Also, more people would have to want to restore and restomod these vehicles versus turning them into cheap stripped out drift missile cars.

The generally higher mileage on SC's versus a factory high performance sports car GT like the Supra MKIII and MKIV probably doesn't help but low mileage examples continue to show up.

There were also many more SC300's and SC400's made for the U.S. and Canada than there were of all MKIV Supra's made for the same two markets (about 12k or so MKIV's in total for our shores). Lower original production increases the rarity plus the factory high performance configurations being available adding to their original collectibility plus the hype the MKIV's have had ever since they were first put on sale.... which grew to utterly ridiculous status by the early 2000's.

SC's can be "collectible" if in excellent low mile original condition... or restored... but I'm not sure how the "collectible" status is thought of when SC examples are resto-modded with desirable drivetrain upgrades befitting of what the chassis is actually capable of.

This is why I'm thinking that the Z30 Soarers, with their factory stock higher spec drivelines that have desirable features in original condition, might be the first candidates for the Toyota Heritage Program.

But I'm also biased myself and feel that SC300's and SC400's also deserve a place within this original parts reproduction division.

Anything is possible. SC's will never reach the status that MKIV Supras have but I do think they have room to hold better value than they do currently and reach true "collectible" status.

As far as Lexus NA is concerned though... I don't think they're very interested in us. They just sell the parts to us that we order, if available, and the dealers will gladly offer us service if we take our SC's in to their doors. But while we think of our SC's as "U.S./Canadian Soarers" Lexus NA sees our cars as "legacy" products.

Still, I'd very much like the SC and Soarer Z30 to be included in the Toyota Heritage Program. Even if only the Soarer makes it in I'll take it because that should mean more parts for us.
The following 3 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Kira X (05-28-21), t2d2 (05-27-21), Tallyhoe (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 12:43 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

There is something you can do now.

Everytime you go to a Lexus dealer, order parts that are discontinued. They will tell you it is discontinued, but it gets marked as a missed sale in our computers. If a part gets enough "missed sales" it can go back into production. This is what Toyota did with all the current TRD parts you can still get right now like JZ oil caps, the TRD Supra swaybars, the TRD front tower bar, and a bunch of Supra interior parts.
The reason we're not seeing Lexus parts reissued is because everyone avoids the dealers like a plague.
I used to work at Elmhurst Toyota (yes, THAT TOYOTA DEALERSHIP) and let me tell you we marked every inquiry we got as a missed sale. And I'm sure we weren't the only Toyota dealership marking Supra parts as missed sales everytime someone asked for them. Hell we got GTE heads reissued. And I heard rumors that as of last year you might even be able to get GTE shortblocks new now.
The following 4 users liked this post by 1997Soarer:
KahnBB6 (05-28-21), Kira X (05-28-21), t2d2 (05-28-21), Tallyhoe (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 07:42 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It would come down to whether or not the division of Toyota / Gazoo Racing the runs the Heritage Program wants to include it with the other globally known "sports" Toyotas that have risen sharply in used market value and collectible status.

Now to make them take notice of the Soarer and SC300/400? SC's in general would have to begin getting more expensive on the used market, hold their value higher when sales and purchases of them are made and they'd probably need to be recognized as a "collectible" by collector insurance companies such as Hagerty.

Also, more people would have to want to restore and restomod these vehicles versus turning them into cheap stripped out drift missile cars.

The generally higher mileage on SC's versus a factory high performance sports car GT like the Supra MKIII and MKIV probably doesn't help but low mileage examples continue to show up.

There were also many more SC300's and SC400's made for the U.S. and Canada than there were of all MKIV Supra's made for the same two markets (about 12k or so MKIV's in total for our shores). Lower original production increases the rarity plus the factory high performance configurations being available adding to their original collectibility plus the hype the MKIV's have had ever since they were first put on sale.... which grew to utterly ridiculous status by the early 2000's.

SC's can be "collectible" if in excellent low mile original condition... or restored... but I'm not sure how the "collectible" status is thought of when SC examples are resto-modded with desirable drivetrain upgrades befitting of what the chassis is actually capable of.

This is why I'm thinking that the Z30 Soarers, with their factory stock higher spec drivelines that have desirable features in original condition, might be the first candidates for the Toyota Heritage Program.

But I'm also biased myself and feel that SC300's and SC400's also deserve a place within this original parts reproduction division.

Anything is possible. SC's will never reach the status that MKIV Supras have but I do think they have room to hold better value than they do currently and reach true "collectible" status.

As far as Lexus NA is concerned though... I don't think they're very interested in us. They just sell the parts to us that we order, if available, and the dealers will gladly offer us service if we take our SC's in to their doors. But while we think of our SC's as "U.S./Canadian Soarers" Lexus NA sees our cars as "legacy" products.

Still, I'd very much like the SC and Soarer Z30 to be included in the Toyota Heritage Program. Even if only the Soarer makes it in I'll take it because that should mean more parts for us.
Completely agree with you... I'm trying to keep mine up to as close to original as possible, with slight hints of modified parts.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (05-28-21)
Old 05-27-21, 07:44 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
There is something you can do now.

Everytime you go to a Lexus dealer, order parts that are discontinued. They will tell you it is discontinued, but it gets marked as a missed sale in our computers. If a part gets enough "missed sales" it can go back into production. This is what Toyota did with all the current TRD parts you can still get right now like JZ oil caps, the TRD Supra swaybars, the TRD front tower bar, and a bunch of Supra interior parts.
The reason we're not seeing Lexus parts reissued is because everyone avoids the dealers like a plague.
I used to work at Elmhurst Toyota (yes, THAT TOYOTA DEALERSHIP) and let me tell you we marked every inquiry we got as a missed sale. And I'm sure we weren't the only Toyota dealership marking Supra parts as missed sales everytime someone asked for them. Hell we got GTE heads reissued. And I heard rumors that as of last year you might even be able to get GTE shortblocks new now.

I would agree with this.... I just had to cancel an order, because the color wasn't available, but again, I would agree a missed sale, is a missed sale... I've invested just over a grand in purchased parts and requests that had to be refunded due to them being discontinued or not being the correct color. I can also attest to the renewed parts from TRD. I've purchased the Supra sway bars and strut brace from Toyota. I have also heard about the re-fired up parts that are now being reproduced.and offered new.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tallyhoe:
KahnBB6 (05-28-21), Kira X (05-28-21)
Old 05-28-21, 02:24 PM
KahnBB6

1997Soarer, I did not know that requesting discontinued parts from Lexus or Toyota dealers got marked down as missed sales and actually went towards possibly getting those parts reissued if enough “missed sale” entries build up.

I’ve been collecting a growing list of discontinued parts for the SC300 and MKIV TT and it would be easy to request them from the respective dealers just to get the requests tallied in the system.

Speaking of which, on SupraForums there is a big discontinued parts thread for MKIV’s. We should have a similar thread for 1st generation SC’s.

That list of discontinued parts should make it easy for anyone to reference and make their purchasing intentions clear to Lexus NA.
Old 05-28-21, 11:05 PM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I love this new idea of requesting the parts, will do my part to put in the requests, the real question is whether it would be beneficial to all team up on a specific request for an essential item to get the ball rolling? Perhaps lower control arms, or door panels,things that benefit both 400 and 300's.How about a vote for the most essential items? By concentrating the requests intentionally it seems more likely to actually get a response
The following 4 users liked this post by ObSCessed:
Bimmerbill (05-29-21), KahnBB6 (05-29-21), Kira X (05-29-21), Tallyhoe (05-29-21)
Old 05-29-21, 07:49 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 414 Likes on 342 Posts

I never knew about the missed sale thing at the dealership. I worked for a Lexus dealership but had never heard that. A lot of stuff seems to have been discontinued in the past few years. I’ve tried ordering the following parts:

-95 and 97 taillights
-Headlights
-97 foglights
-Door panels in Black and Tan
-The entire center console
-Factory Pioneer radio
-Taillight wiring harnesses for all three versions

They were all discontinued as of late 2020.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kira X:
bron_karr (04-26-23), KahnBB6 (05-30-21), ThomasGS4 (05-29-21)