SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need Advice Regarding Purchase Price!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-03, 01:54 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

more than twice the amount i got my lexus for. dealers always tend to rip people off more. i suggest you get a private car and you can deal privately too. i got my 92 SC with 80K nearly mint red for $6000! this price sounds pretty rediculous especially in NY.
Old 08-28-03, 01:56 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LexSC888
damn
my 94 sc300 was bought in 1999....my dad paid 19-20 for it.....car has depreciated a lot i guess...albeit i overpayed too

We seem to pay more here in NY, but the value has definitely dropped, i'm losing a bunch of money on my '95, but to pay that much for a CPO car with low miles and in nice shape like that seems very reasonable to me, everyone seems to want an $8k SC nowadays, all I see hi mile coupes with ripped up seats and steering wheel and worn out cluster needles and climate display LCD. These guys in these *****boxes are turning the SC into the next Civic. If it's real nice I wouldn't put a price tag on it if you plan to keep it long-term, just make sure you check all the trouble spots on these cars - if you're not sure what to check then do a search, you'll find all you need.

- LL
Old 08-28-03, 06:17 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude,

I think that price is ridiculous man, you should be able to get it for a hell of a lot less. I wouldn't pay more than$9-9.5 for it, and that is with the maintenance. I just got a 92 SC400 with 110k in great shape for $6250 so there are better deals out there. Just take your time man - there is a place here for you in the forums

Peace
Jonny
Dx3
Old 08-28-03, 08:19 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Dx3, do you fail to see the difference between a 68k mile car and a 110k mile car? It's not like the extra money you spend for the nicer car is just flushed down the toilet. Know why you guys get these 'great' deals on these hi mile SC's? See what it's worth when you have 150k-plus on it and you're ready to sell it. ZIP.....

This car sounds nice, i'd run a carfax, rack it, and seriously consider it, getting harder to find super clean ones.

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 08-28-03 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-29-03, 04:36 AM
hansjl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the money isn't burning a hole in your pocket, sit back, check autotrader and cars.com, the classifieds, and the CL FS's. Let your dream SC come to you, so you don't have to go chasing it. Just remember, each month that passes, the lower the selling price goes. I still say throw $10,500 on the table and see where it takes you. Then again, you can wait till the 300 has been on the lot for a while and go for some real price negotiations.
Old 08-29-03, 05:29 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

well my sc when it was bought was incredibly well off. the paint was not chipped...aside from a few minor scratches on the bumpers...the seats were a little worn but all teh clusters and LCD displays work perfectly. there were no dings at all. it was a car that had been hand washed and remembered to have been waxed at least once a month. then tehre was the major fact that it had only 55k miles when it was bought and that was 55k in only 7 years....now its haasa 85k in 10 years....so yea tho the difference between 110k and 55k is double...so tehre is a steeper price for a car in near mint condition after 7 years. also oklahoma is not full of the same wealth as NY is especially Long ISland which is up tehre on teh top 5 most expensive US places to live. so if people have the money you have to believe they will set the price high. also im not one to buy cars off of the internet. i dont trust people. Dont ever trust people.

ps also i think some of you may not understand that i already have this car and have had it now for 4 years.
Old 08-29-03, 03:54 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Lex,

Obviously I see the difference between cars with different mileage - that was not my point. My point was that there are cheaper SC's out there than this car and he should look around more as I personally believe he could get a better deal elsewhere.

And my car at 150k worth zip - UH HUH!! Funny, cuz I see them selling for around $5k here with that mileage. Being that I paid $6250 for mine - it's not a bad deal.

Peace

Dx3

Last edited by Dx3; 08-29-03 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-29-03, 04:01 PM
legendary
Racer

please don't bring down the value of the SC by putting a 'one price fits all' association.
mine is priceless....let's keep it that way.....

and let's not turn this into a flame war
Old 08-29-03, 04:28 PM
hansjl
Driver

Lots of valid points have been made in this thread. If you have the bucks to look at SC300's up to 96, look at the various year changes that have been made and decide what you like about each year and the total cost of ownership in the years to come. One thought is an air conditioner recharge and how much it would cost. Don't worry about resale value if you think you're going to keep it for a long time because it will be worth a hell of a lot less when you go to sell it. There are lots of opinions as to what year is a best buy. For me, it was a 95 based on searches on CL for the difference in the model years. Besides, I couldn't find a super 96 during my search in the price range I wanted to pay. Believe me, there are some really crappie SC's out there that people have beat into the ground. Then there are the private party ones that realize they can get a better price by selling rather than trading. Those are the ones to look for. One more thing, most people think their SC is worth more than it really is, me included. Take your time and buy the right one at the right price the first time. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! Just my $.02

With that, I'll bounce this thread and just listen in to see how you do. Do post the results of your search.

GOOD LUCK...... and enjoy your SC......
Old 08-30-03, 08:38 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexSC888
Long ISland which is up tehre on teh top 5 most expensive US places to live.
Really?

Dx3, not trying to flame, but I have absolutely no interest in dealing with someone who pimps a $5K SC. I don't care what you say, a 5 grand SC is a piece of CRAP, if you can't afford it then you should be driving a car with reasonable mlg and operating expenses for $5K, i.e. a Corolla, which is a perfectly nice car and will give you lots of trouble-free commuting.
Old 08-30-03, 08:42 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

94 models cant be certified. The oldest you can currently cert is 98. I think the car is worth 10-11 retail tops and 7000 wholesale in TX.
Old 08-30-03, 09:31 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Lex,

That is without a doubt that most shallow thing I have ever read. Yeah let me sell my ride so I can go get a Corolla. You know nothing about me, so your siggestions about what car I should be driving are futile This is exactly why Lexus drivers get a bad name - CUZ OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

I have no interest in talking to some stuck up snob either - after all I'm just a commoner than doesn't have a $20,000 car.

Peace
Dx3

Last edited by Dx3; 08-30-03 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-30-03, 09:32 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

yea LEx...most expensive places include Long ISland, somewhere in California, anywhere in HAwaii, New york City, and i think somewhere in florida...but yea crazy isnt it?
Old 08-30-03, 09:34 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

hey Dx3...LEx is right man.....after all you are driving a LEXUS. LEXUS prides itself on maintenance free cars that will last you 200k miles. now if your lex has 200k miles maytbe you can get it for 4 or 5 grand. but one with only 110...id say its gotta be worth 8 or 9 easily unless the paint is chipped or its been beaten to the ground by some guy who floors it at every light, or had multiple acdcidents and repaints or a crappy interior. but hey its a lex...not too many of those but ill admit i have seen them.
Old 08-30-03, 05:29 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

LexSC888,

I'm not understanding what u r saying he is right about?? From what you said in your reply, it seems that you are agreeing with me. Regardless, enough of this thread. Let's move on and talk about worthwhile things

JOnny
Dx3

Quick Reply: Need Advice Regarding Purchase Price!!!